Stage 1 B Lung Caner

aharton
aharton Member Posts: 2
edited March 2014 in Lung Cancer #1
My husband had his lower lobe on the right lung removed. The doctor said the reports came back that it was stage 1 B cancer. The doctor said it was up to my husband wheter or not he wanted to take chemotherapy treatments. How do we make an intellignet choice?

Comments

• AuthorUnknown
    AuthorUnknown Member Posts: 1,537 Member
    Let me assure you that your husband’s prognosis is very good. He is very lucky that his cancer was caught in time. He will have full recovery from his surgery. I was playing tennis within 3 months after my right lower lobe was removed due to a type of lung cancer called bronchoalveolar carcinoma, which is a subtype of lung adenocarcinoma - which is also often referred to as non-small cell type of lung cancer. I am a 3-year cancer survivor. I believe the latest recommendations are to do chemo after surgery even if the cancer has not metastasized. Therefore, take your oncologist’s advise as he/she may be current on this subject matter. I do get frequent checkups – CT scans every 3 months for the first year and then every 4 months for the second year, with PET/CT combination scans every 6 months. In the third year, I have CT scans every 6 months and PET scan every year. I will follow this regimen for at least 5 years. You can find out more about chemo after stage 1 lung cancer by going to a website called pubmed.gov. Type in “Chemotherapy and stage 1 B lung cancer” in the search box and you will get abstracts of quite a few research articles. This is a very good site for scientific researchers, and those that have some science background. I am a researcher (Professor in a College of Pharmacy). I have uncovered a handful of research articles that indicate that my type of lung cancer can be caused by exposure to certain types of mold such as Apergillus. This type of mold is commonly found in moist or humid environment in a buidling and in air conditioner vents. The mold produces a mycotoxin called sterigmatocystin which is a precursor of another deadly mycotoxin called aflatoxin. Aflatoxin is implicated in liver cancer if you ingest (eat it in food containing aflatoxin), but if you inhale it, it produces lung adenocarcinoma. Stergmatocystin when ingested or inhaled or rubbed into an open wound will invariably cause lung adenocarcinoma. I have already found several individuals on this network that have been exposed to mold in their homes (mostly basement) or in their air conditioners, particularly those that have water-chilled pipes where air is recirculated above the pipes. These types of air conditioners are usually found in older buildings - about 20 to 30 years old and they are deadly! Their vents are full of mold and if someone inhales the mold spores with mycotoxins, then he/she will get lung adenocarcinma.

Was your husband exposed to any mold either at work or at home? Does he work in an old building with water-chilled air conditioning unit with recirculating air? Do you have an unfinished basement at home with dirt floor? Does he work with mulch a lot without a mask? Is he a farmer and works out a lot in the barn with hay bales (which have a lot of mold)? I am now trying to find as many individuals as I can suffering/diagnosed with lung cancer so that I can then publish a report in a scientific journal since the physicians including oncologists are unaware of the risks of exposure to mold and mycotoxins.

I wish your husband a speedy recovery. He will be in my prayers. Please do not hesitate to contact me if you need any additional information.
  • Plymouthean
    Plymouthean Member Posts: 262
    Hi. I'm a 4+ year survivor of nsclc, 3a. I had the upper 40% of my right lung removed after aggressive chemo and radiation. Post surgery, I had ten radiation treatments and 12 weekly chemo treatments. The post-op chemo was a breeze, - no side effects at all. In my opinion, your husband should have the post-op chemo. It should be no more than an inconvenience, but I feel that it is further insurance that there will be no "bad guy" cells circulating in his body. Best Wishes.
  • aharton
    aharton Member Posts: 2

Let me assure you that your husband’s prognosis is very good. He is very lucky that his cancer was caught in time. He will have full recovery from his surgery. I was playing tennis within 3 months after my right lower lobe was removed due to a type of lung cancer called bronchoalveolar carcinoma, which is a subtype of lung adenocarcinoma - which is also often referred to as non-small cell type of lung cancer. I am a 3-year cancer survivor. I believe the latest recommendations are to do chemo after surgery even if the cancer has not metastasized. Therefore, take your oncologist’s advise as he/she may be current on this subject matter. I do get frequent checkups – CT scans every 3 months for the first year and then every 4 months for the second year, with PET/CT combination scans every 6 months. In the third year, I have CT scans every 6 months and PET scan every year. I will follow this regimen for at least 5 years. You can find out more about chemo after stage 1 lung cancer by going to a website called pubmed.gov. Type in “Chemotherapy and stage 1 B lung cancer” in the search box and you will get abstracts of quite a few research articles. This is a very good site for scientific researchers, and those that have some science background. I am a researcher (Professor in a College of Pharmacy). I have uncovered a handful of research articles that indicate that my type of lung cancer can be caused by exposure to certain types of mold such as Apergillus. This type of mold is commonly found in moist or humid environment in a buidling and in air conditioner vents. The mold produces a mycotoxin called sterigmatocystin which is a precursor of another deadly mycotoxin called aflatoxin. Aflatoxin is implicated in liver cancer if you ingest (eat it in food containing aflatoxin), but if you inhale it, it produces lung adenocarcinoma. Stergmatocystin when ingested or inhaled or rubbed into an open wound will invariably cause lung adenocarcinoma. I have already found several individuals on this network that have been exposed to mold in their homes (mostly basement) or in their air conditioners, particularly those that have water-chilled pipes where air is recirculated above the pipes. These types of air conditioners are usually found in older buildings - about 20 to 30 years old and they are deadly! Their vents are full of mold and if someone inhales the mold spores with mycotoxins, then he/she will get lung adenocarcinma.

Was your husband exposed to any mold either at work or at home? Does he work in an old building with water-chilled air conditioning unit with recirculating air? Do you have an unfinished basement at home with dirt floor? Does he work with mulch a lot without a mask? Is he a farmer and works out a lot in the barn with hay bales (which have a lot of mold)? I am now trying to find as many individuals as I can suffering/diagnosed with lung cancer so that I can then publish a report in a scientific journal since the physicians including oncologists are unaware of the risks of exposure to mold and mycotoxins.

I wish your husband a speedy recovery. He will be in my prayers. Please do not hesitate to contact me if you need any additional information.

Thank you so much for your reply to my message. I did go to the web site you suggested. My husband is a retired police officer. We live very close (less than a mile) to the steel mills. (very polluted air). My husband also said that he did have the central air conditioner in this house, that you mentioned in your reply. The house was built in 1956. The air conditioner no longer works. We do have a crawl space under the entire house. It has a sand floor. He did smoke but quit 20 years ago. I am still smoking but have set February 14th as my last day for smoking.
    I hope I have answered all your questions. If you have any other questions, I would be happy to answer them. Thank you for your prayers!
  • jadjr
    jadjr Member Posts: 30
    Hi, I was diagnosed with stage 1 A (less than 1 cm) nsclc 2 mo ago. Had surgery to remove upper right lobe and plan to start a 4 mo round of chemo in 2 weeks. While the research is unclear as to the benefits, if you are healthy it does not make sense to not try to erradicate any microscopic cancer cells that may exist but are not yet detectable through scans etc. Additionally, and this was probably most significant, my surgeon confided that if it was he or his family member he would not hesitate.
  • MadelynJoe
    MadelynJoe Member Posts: 96
    Dear AHARTON:

I am a Stage IA LC survivor (7 months). I was diagnosed during a routine physical on 5/9/05, had lower R lobe removed on 6/6/05, then did adjuvant chemo (that's when you have chemo even though no further traces of cancer are detectible in the body).

I would encourage your husband to have adjuvant chemo. It is very possible to cure early stage cancer and have an 85% chance of a normal lifespan.

Try to stay calm, keep the faith, and get your husband to an oncologist NOW.

Best regards, Madelyn
  • BillDrake
    BillDrake Member Posts: 17
    Discovered colon cancer in Apr 2004. Surgury to remove 2-3 inches of cancerious tissue. Followed by 16 weeks of precautionary Chemo. Chemo was midly annoying; no serious side effect. Discovered cancer in left lung in July 2004. Had lung removed in August. 25 days of precautaionary radiation followed by 4 treatments of the most awful chemo you can imagine. If ( when) I have to do it again I will. Ya gotta do everything you can to improve your odds! Don't consider any treatment offered as optional!