will you please help me.. ^ ^

pre-desposed
pre-desposed Member Posts: 7
edited March 2014 in Lung Cancer #1
i am doing a project for my health and safety class.... the project is that everyone was taken outside of class..and told they had a type of cance mine is lung cancer.. we have had to do so many things.. to make this "pretend" become a reality..but for me..it was more of a journey... i have found out not only about this cancer, but that cancer runs in my family, and chances of me getting it are very high.. but the main reason i have come to ask for help is there are still a few bits of info i am missing..and they are not ones i want to just look up on the internet..i would like a real respnse from a real person.. this project..has affected me in so many ways..in fact.. just a week ago..i donated.. 17 inches of braided hair from my head..it was the most i could give.. withought.. being basicly bald.. ... this project has been an emotional journey of understanding..and all i need to finish it..is just a little bit of help from the people who know it..best.. for me this is no longer a project but real life..i feel like it is actually happening to me..in fact sometimes i wake in the middle of the night and have to reassure my self..that none of it is real .. so will someone please help me.. i am in need of assistance. ..

Comments

• grandmado
    grandmado Member Posts: 10
    I am surviving lung cancer since 2003. What do you need to know? I too have a family history. My Dad had emphysema for years and eventually got lung cancer. He only survived 18 months. One important note is that if you smoke or ever did it's important to get,at least, a chest xray. I don't know how old you are but it's worth considering. I was a heavy smoker but got cancer 10 yrs after I quit smoking. I also got chest xrays each year. We moved to another state and I did not have a chest xray for 3 yrs. That's when I got the lung cancer. Perhaps had I had one in those 3 yrs. it could have detected a tumor at an earlier stage. Hope this helps
    jmb
  • Plymouthean
    Plymouthean Member Posts: 262
    Hi. I too am a lung cancer survivor (4 years, 2 months). We on this web site have much to offer in the way of experiences, but I think that you would be better served if you had specific questions for us. Our stories would be difficult to tell in the limited space of this forum. For a brief synopsis of my experience, go to "Personal Web Pages" and look up "Grateful Survivor". That will be me. I'm looking forward to being able to help. Ernie
  • pre-desposed
    thank you very much grandmado... i will be sure to get in touch with you to ask you some questions.. like i said this has become reality for me.. i just am glad and thankfull everyday that it has not actually happend to me.. oh and i am 16 i know it is young but cancer doesn't care how old you are it will attack you at any age.. and as for smoking the idea repulses me.. only because i grew up in a home full of smokers..and now i know the effects.. but again thank you soo much.. i will be intouch.. ^^
  • pre-desposed
    thank you too Plymouthean, i will definately check out your story.. because i am sure it will have just the right amount of truth in it to help me with my project.. and again i can't thank you guys enough just hearing that there are people out there surviving this cancer which is the number one cause of cancer deaths.. i mean.. i don't have it and i am scared i can't even imagine what it must be like...... sorry.. i .. i just am very emotional when it comes to this sort of thing..i have seen so many family members pass to cancer..and that is not the way i wanna go..
  • AuthorUnknown
    AuthorUnknown Member Posts: 1,537 Member
    I am a 3-year cancer survivor too. I am a researcher (Professor in a College of Pharmacy). I have uncovered a handfull of research articles that indicate that my type of lung cancer (bronchoalveolar carcinoma - a subtype of lung adenocarcinoma - which is also often referred to as non-small cell type of lung cancer) is caused by exposure to certain types of mold such as Apergillus. This type of mold is commonly found in moist or humid environemnt in abuidling and in air conditioners vents. The mold produces a mycotoxin called sterigmatocystin which is a precursor of another deadly mycotoxin called aflatoxin. Aflatoxin is implicated in liver cancer if you ingest (eat it in food containing aflatoxin), but if you inhale it, it produces lung adenocarcinoma. Stergmatocystin when ingested or inhaled or rubbed into an open wound will invariably cause lung adenocarcinoma. I have already found several individuals on this network who have been exposed to mold in their homes (mostly basement) or in their air conditioners, particularly those that have water-chilled pipes where air is recirculated above the pipes. These types of air conditoners are usally found in older buildings - about 20 to 30 years old and they are deadly! Their vents are full of mold and if someone inhales the mold spores with mycotoxins, then he/she will get lung adenocarcinma.

I hope this helps. I am now trying to find as many individuals as I can suffering/diagnosed with lung cancer so that I can then publish a report in a scientific journal since the physicians including oncologists are unaware of the risks of exposure to mold and mycotoxins.

Feel free to contact me anytime you want. My email address is skaanint@aol.com.

By the way, you had indicated that many in your family have suffered from lung cancer. May I ask, what kind it was and were they exposed to mold as well - either at work or at home (in a basement with a dirt floor, etc.).

Good luck with your report. Let me know if I can help in any way.
  • grandmado
    grandmado Member Posts: 10
    I am having problems with the web site. I tried replying to your questions but was unable to send the msg. am going to try pasting it now.
    1.My reaction on learning I had cancer in July 2003 was anger at myself and mostly the family doctor who let 3 yrs go by without a chest xray.

2. I found it easy telling people about it as I am one who discusses my feeling. also I wanted to warn people and tell them to make certain a chest xray is included in yearly physical.

3 & 4. I did some research on the Internet but ultimately listened to my doctors. There's not much choice in Lung Cancer treatments.

5. As to cost, it's hard to say as we were completely covered by Insurance. I do know the weekly Chemo cost around $1500 & sometimes more. 35 Radiation treatments were very high. I would be guessing to say total treatments were well over $100,000.

6. There was no support group for Lung CA. when I started my treatment. The social worker at the treatment center started one after I complained. Out of 7 lung cancer patients only two of us showed up after the first meeting. So Marcia and I became a two woman support group. We would call each other and as I was ahead of her in treatment I could tell her what to expect and that things do get better.

7,I had bad side effects as the radiation & chemo burned my esophogus. I couldn't eat, drink etc. Lost 37 lbs. I was unable to finish the chemo ( 2 treatments) & my oncologist wanted to try another chemo but I said NO. I chose QUALITY of life. As there was nothing more he could do He put me into Hospice Care. That was in June 2004. I kept getting stronger and Hospice "fired me" .I have gained back the weight I lost (plus a few extra lbs) & I feel great.
    I still have the tumor but it's much smaller and it sits quietly in my lung.

Keeping a positive attitude helps and having friends & family close is important.
    I hope this helps. Don't hesitate to ask more
    questions.
  • pre-desposed
    grandmado said:

I am having problems with the web site. I tried replying to your questions but was unable to send the msg. am going to try pasting it now.
    1.My reaction on learning I had cancer in July 2003 was anger at myself and mostly the family doctor who let 3 yrs go by without a chest xray.

2. I found it easy telling people about it as I am one who discusses my feeling. also I wanted to warn people and tell them to make certain a chest xray is included in yearly physical.

3 & 4. I did some research on the Internet but ultimately listened to my doctors. There's not much choice in Lung Cancer treatments.

5. As to cost, it's hard to say as we were completely covered by Insurance. I do know the weekly Chemo cost around $1500 & sometimes more. 35 Radiation treatments were very high. I would be guessing to say total treatments were well over $100,000.

6. There was no support group for Lung CA. when I started my treatment. The social worker at the treatment center started one after I complained. Out of 7 lung cancer patients only two of us showed up after the first meeting. So Marcia and I became a two woman support group. We would call each other and as I was ahead of her in treatment I could tell her what to expect and that things do get better.

7,I had bad side effects as the radiation & chemo burned my esophogus. I couldn't eat, drink etc. Lost 37 lbs. I was unable to finish the chemo ( 2 treatments) & my oncologist wanted to try another chemo but I said NO. I chose QUALITY of life. As there was nothing more he could do He put me into Hospice Care. That was in June 2004. I kept getting stronger and Hospice "fired me" .I have gained back the weight I lost (plus a few extra lbs) & I feel great.
    I still have the tumor but it's much smaller and it sits quietly in my lung.

Keeping a positive attitude helps and having friends & family close is important.
    I hope this helps. Don't hesitate to ask more
    questions.

thank you soo much you have no idea how much help you have been and i am really glad that you have such a positive attitude it gives me hope to..^^ if i come up with any more questions i will be sure to ask and again thank you sooo much.. ^^ i really do appreciate it..