Anyone on maintenance therapy that still has a tumor but no growth???

crot1998
crot1998 Member Posts: 67
edited March 2014 in Lung Cancer #1
Hi there. We visited the doctor today and were told that my father's nsclc-adenocarcinoma has shrunk to about 9cm (1/2 the size)he had a pleural effusion and this is now gone. This was after three rounds of carbo/taxol chemo and he is also on a clinical drug that he takes by mouth every day that is supposed to cut off the blood supply to the tumor. The doctor has always staged him at 3b. My question is, is there any one out there who was diagnosed at stage 3b and still has a tumor that is being "watched" to make sure there is no changes? The doctor mentioned that he would be watching by father's tumor every three weeks after the chemo is over to make sure it is stable.

Comments

• jonie4
    jonie4 Member Posts: 7
    I also took the carbo/taxol chemo and have been on a maintenence for 2 months now. I am a stage IV, but still do have a very small tumor that is being watched. 1cm. I am also on avastin every 5 weeks. I go in once a month for a check up and will be having ct scans every so often (not sure how often yet). What is your actual question?
  • crot1998
    jonie4 said:

I also took the carbo/taxol chemo and have been on a maintenence for 2 months now. I am a stage IV, but still do have a very small tumor that is being watched. 1cm. I am also on avastin every 5 weeks. I go in once a month for a check up and will be having ct scans every so often (not sure how often yet). What is your actual question?

Hi there. I guess my question is if there was anyone out there that still had a tumor that shrunk and is being monitored. My father has had 4 doses of carbo/taxol with good results as well as taking this oral agent daily as part of this clinical trial (he is not in the placebo group). After 6 chemo sessions he will be visiting the doctor monthly and having scans like yourself. I just wanted to hear if anyone else was in the same situation. We are taking a positive attitude and happy that we have at least achieved local control of the tumor.
  • jonie4
    jonie4 Member Posts: 7
    crot1998 said:

Hi there. I guess my question is if there was anyone out there that still had a tumor that shrunk and is being monitored. My father has had 4 doses of carbo/taxol with good results as well as taking this oral agent daily as part of this clinical trial (he is not in the placebo group). After 6 chemo sessions he will be visiting the doctor monthly and having scans like yourself. I just wanted to hear if anyone else was in the same situation. We are taking a positive attitude and happy that we have at least achieved local control of the tumor.

Hi. You have to understand that I definitely have chemo brain. My tumor has shrunken by half. I think that was your question. ??
  • crot1998
    jonie4 said:

Hi. You have to understand that I definitely have chemo brain. My tumor has shrunken by half. I think that was your question. ??

Yes that's what I meant. The tumor has shrunk but is still techincally there and being monitored, sounds like the same situation. Thanks for your response.
  • DVL112046
    DVL112046 Member Posts: 1
    Hi there. My mother was recently diagnosed with Stage IV Lung Cancer. She will be starting chemo and radiation tomorrow. Could you please tell me what maintenance drug your father is on? Is it Tarceva? Also, please define a pleural effusion. I believe my mom has that as well. Thank you for your help.
  • crot1998
    DVL112046 said:

Hi there. My mother was recently diagnosed with Stage IV Lung Cancer. She will be starting chemo and radiation tomorrow. Could you please tell me what maintenance drug your father is on? Is it Tarceva? Also, please define a pleural effusion. I believe my mom has that as well. Thank you for your help.

Hi there. My father is on a clinical trial drug. It is similar to Tarceva but more potent. A pleural effusion is when there is fluid in the pleura space just outside the lung. They usually will tap this fluid to test the cells to determine if they are malignant or not. Good luck with your mother's chemo, keep us posted, this site is great for support. My father has just finished round 4 and is going for 5 in a couple of weeks. He is on Carbo/Taxol. Hope this helps.