HER+/Neu...

Options
ClaudiaAnn
ClaudiaAnn Member Posts: 51
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I am a positive HER/Neu. On my path report there is a notation of CEP17 Ratio 5.2. Does anyone out there know what that means? I asked my dr. and she said she didn't know. She will probably find out, but she said no one has ever asked her before.

Comments

• Susan956
    Susan956 Member Posts: 510
    Options
    My path report showed HER-2/neu gene amplification but nothing about a ratio. The ratio may describe the level of amplification. With mine, the choice was made for me to stay on a drug called Herceptin for 1 full year. We actually started it at the same time as I was finishing the Taxol part of my Chemo. Herceptin is not a chemo drug but it is administered by IV. The good thing is that it only works on the bad cells so you don't feel bad while you are taking it. The best I understand HER-2 is that we have a gene that is not normal and the Herceptin actually repairs the gene so it can't trigger the cancer again. Don't know if this helped. Take Care.
  • ClaudiaAnn
    Options
    Susan956 said:

My path report showed HER-2/neu gene amplification but nothing about a ratio. The ratio may describe the level of amplification. With mine, the choice was made for me to stay on a drug called Herceptin for 1 full year. We actually started it at the same time as I was finishing the Taxol part of my Chemo. Herceptin is not a chemo drug but it is administered by IV. The good thing is that it only works on the bad cells so you don't feel bad while you are taking it. The best I understand HER-2 is that we have a gene that is not normal and the Herceptin actually repairs the gene so it can't trigger the cancer again. Don't know if this helped. Take Care.

Thanks Susan. I'm on the same regime for a year. I'm just a person who wants ALL of the answers all of the time and I didn't have an answer for this question. Sounds like we're a lot the same. I started Herceptin after radiation out about six months but within a year of finishing Taxol. I was told that the Herceptin blocks the protien from attaching to the cell and then the cell dies. No one has mentioned repairing a gene to me, but I will ask next time I see my dr. I met with plastic today about reconstruction and I'm still leaning toward another mastectomy and no reconstruction. It just sounds like way more surgery than I want to go through for results I'm not sure I need. I always was a Tomboy and my husband doesn't seem to care one way or another. Just whatever makes me comfortable and I'm comfortable without breasts. Stay in touch.
  • SadieSis
    SadieSis Member Posts: 1
    Options
    Susan956 said:

I confirmed with my dr that HER2 does not trigger the cancer, but it is a protein in the cancerous cell that makes the existing cancer grow rapidly. HER2 is ONLY in the cancerous cells. Herceptin clings to the HER2 protein, makes it retreat back into the cell which in turn makes the bad cell starve/die off. Therefore, all the healthy cells in your body are left alone. It's nice to finally find someone else who is HER2+. I was beginning to think that it was so terminal that no one is left to talk about it! I'm just past my 1st 2 AC treatments, then I get 12 wks of Taxol with Herceptin, then 1 yr of Herceptin. How did you fare during the Taxol treatment. That one has me scared.
  • roxanne53
    roxanne53 Member Posts: 154
    Options
    SadieSis said:

I confirmed with my dr that HER2 does not trigger the cancer, but it is a protein in the cancerous cell that makes the existing cancer grow rapidly. HER2 is ONLY in the cancerous cells. Herceptin clings to the HER2 protein, makes it retreat back into the cell which in turn makes the bad cell starve/die off. Therefore, all the healthy cells in your body are left alone. It's nice to finally find someone else who is HER2+. I was beginning to think that it was so terminal that no one is left to talk about it! I'm just past my 1st 2 AC treatments, then I get 12 wks of Taxol with Herceptin, then 1 yr of Herceptin. How did you fare during the Taxol treatment. That one has me scared.

Hello
    I am HER/Neu+ along with ER+ and PR+. I am not having to herceptin yet. My tumor markers are still in normal range and have had scans appearing normal. Yes there are others out here.
    There is also a web side for the HER2 Positives. that I accidently found. It is HER2 Support Group. I have it in my favorites to check things out and keep updated.

Take care
    Roxanne
  • tlmac
    tlmac Member Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Hi ClaudiaAnn, I also studied a copy of my path report to learn everything about my cancer. The CEP17 term refers specifically to chromosome 17 centromere. A centromere is the specialized condensed region of a chromosome where spindle fibers attach (the Her2 protein in this case) during cell division. We've learned that this protein has a significant effect on about 20% of all diagnosed breast cancers. The testing they do calculates the ratio of Her2 to chromosome 17. This ratio determines if your Her2 score is 0 or +1 (considered negative) or +2, +3 (considered positive). SadieSis has already explained the affect the monoclonal antibody, Herceptin, has on the Her2 protein. Along with aromatase inhibitors like Arimidex and Femara, Herceptin is a monumental advancement in the treatment of certain breast cancers. Good luck with your research and your recovery.
    terri
  • Susan956
    Susan956 Member Posts: 510
    Options
    SadieSis said:

Sadie Sis,
    Sounds like you are on the exact same chemo treatment as I was. I finished by last Taxol/Herceptin combo on November 1st. I actually found that the taxol was not as hard on me as the A/C. It was still a trip. I stayed pretty tired the whole time from about the 3rd A/C treatment on... but I was able to work at least a couple days a week the whole time. The biggest problem with Taxol was that my fingernails go real sour and turned dark.. (I finally started painting them) and the tips of my fingers and my toes got a little numb (pins & needles). Most of that is gone now. I also gain a fair amount of weight and was puffy... 6-8 weeks after last Chemo, my body has returned to normal. I had another little surgery to do afterwards and I am now moving on to Radiation treatments and continuing my herceptin. And this week.... My hair started growing....

I know several ladies that are ahead of us. One has been in and out of treatment for 4 years. We are the lucky ones because herceptin was here for us when we needed it. For Ms. Betty she didn't get herceptin until she had a recurrence. Ms. Betty has now for the first time kept from finding a recurrence for about 6 months, she is delighted. It appears that herceptin is truly a wonder drug. My Doctor says that that one drug alone has cut my risk of recurrence by itself by 50%. I have every reason to believe that I will be around to see my son get married and to get to enjoy my Grandchildren....(he isn't even considering getting married yet...) so I think HER-2 is no longer nearly the problem it used to be.

Take Care...
  • ClaudiaAnn
    Options
    SadieSis said:

SadieSis, I have to be honest. I did not fare too well on Taxol. I had a mild allergic reaction initially and had to premeds to prevent the reaction. I also had very severe muscle pain, weak knees (they kept buckling under me) and had to take pain pills for the first ten days to control that. I did get through it and I would definitely do it again. The short period of pain or discomfort is well worth the possibility of killing cancer cells! I did and still would participate in any treatment that offers me an additional margin. This is my decision for me. There are many options and many opinions. Do what is right for you, but you can get through it. My dr. told me - if you through up we can give you something for that, we can give you something for the constipation, we can give you something for the pain, we can get you through this, just keep going. I followed the advise and I am glad every day that I did.