Tia Chi & Lung cancer

jlw6866
jlw6866 Member Posts: 5
edited March 2014 in Lung Cancer #1
Just wondering if anyone out there is into Tia Chi? Chemo is kicking my butt. But I need some kind of activity so I don't turn into a couch potatoe

Comments

• Plymouthean
    Plymouthean Member Posts: 262
    Hi. I'm a 4 year survivor of nsclc, 3a. During my treatments (radiation and chemo) I was trashed. I had no energy and it was just easier to hang out on the couch. You are doing the intelligent thing, - looking for an activity to keep you moving and staying in as good physical shape as possible. I took tai chi as part of cardiac rehab, and found it to be a good regimen. But I also found it to be too slow for me when I needed exercise to get me off the couch throughout chemo. I found that walking worked best for me. It doesn't have to be "power walking", but just a stroll around the yard or the neighborhood. I think the fresh air will also benefit you. Listen to your body and strike a balance between the exercise you need/want and what the body will take. And don't be too shy to ask someone to walk with you if you feel weak and/or insecure walking by yourself. Good luck. Please keep us posted.
  • jlw6866
    jlw6866 Member Posts: 5

Hi. I'm a 4 year survivor of nsclc, 3a. During my treatments (radiation and chemo) I was trashed. I had no energy and it was just easier to hang out on the couch. You are doing the intelligent thing, - looking for an activity to keep you moving and staying in as good physical shape as possible. I took tai chi as part of cardiac rehab, and found it to be a good regimen. But I also found it to be too slow for me when I needed exercise to get me off the couch throughout chemo. I found that walking worked best for me. It doesn't have to be "power walking", but just a stroll around the yard or the neighborhood. I think the fresh air will also benefit you. Listen to your body and strike a balance between the exercise you need/want and what the body will take. And don't be too shy to ask someone to walk with you if you feel weak and/or insecure walking by yourself. Good luck. Please keep us posted.

Thanks for the feedback. I have been walking (strolling) but the weather is turning cold (Spokane WA) So I was looking for something inside. There is something about the whole yin yang thing that interest me . Maybe we are all looking for some magic in our lifes. Take care
    Jim
  • Plymouthean
    Plymouthean Member Posts: 262
    jlw6866 said:

Thanks for the feedback. I have been walking (strolling) but the weather is turning cold (Spokane WA) So I was looking for something inside. There is something about the whole yin yang thing that interest me . Maybe we are all looking for some magic in our lifes. Take care
    Jim

When our weather turns cold, in Plymouth, MA, we head for the shopping malls for walking. There are many people walking there every day. The malls are usually open early for the "mall walkers". Of course this assumes that you live relatively close to a shopping mall. Good luck. Ernie