Low WBC

Options
rthornton
rthornton Member Posts: 346 Member
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Last Wednesday I was to start chemo cycle eight, but my oncologist called it off because I was very sick at the time with excessive diarrhea. So, he gave me a one week break from chemo. Today I went to his office, and again he called it off because my white blood cell count was so low (about 1100, when I usually have 5000 - 6000). So, I have another week off from chemo. Trust me, I am NOT in love with chemotherapy, but I don't want to compromise my treatment with all of these breaks. Does anyone know of a proper supplement or diet that will boost my WBC? Any advice will be welcome.

Thanks!

Rodney

Comments

• neeliec
    neeliec Member Posts: 106
    Options
    Hello, Rodney,
    Sorry about your delay... You must be relieved to not have it and worried at the same time.. quite understandable. Neulasta is given to increase wbc.. apparently doctors have to play a game with the insurance companies which do not allow Neulasta to be given unless they are low enough-- whatever number they have deemed low enough.. Ask your dr about when you can have neulasta.
    hope you get back on track.. blessings, neelieC
  • scouty
    scouty Member Posts: 1,965 Member
    Options
    Hi Rodney,

I am sorry you are having such a hard time with chemo but sometimes the ole bod can just take so much. Stop that diarrhea with some probiotics (I take Megaflora). It helps replace the healthy bacteria your intestines need. Chemo and antibiotics kill off all bacteria in the digestive system including the ones that wear white hats!!!!! Replace them first, then you can work on your immune system (WBC). Obviously, you tummy is very upset so the probiotic should help settle it down too. Water and other very alkaline foods can help too. If you can drink it without gagging, drink some of the "green foods" supplements that are out there (barleans, green magma, etc). Buy the powder, not the pill forms for now since you are probably dehydrated already. Good alkaline foods to help calm you system while helping you immune system are: onions, sweet potatoes, raspberries, watermelon, pineapple, tangerines, cashews, peppers, garlic, asparagus, kale, broccoli, grapefruit, cantelope, honeydew, all citrus and most other friuts and veggies. Once you innards calm down, eat those beans, peas, and healthy grains.

Try to stay away from sugar, especially high fructose corn syrup, MSG, and meat products unless they are natural and free of growth hormones. But even then, do not eat meat more then twice a week. If you like fish, stay away from shellfish and other bottom feeders (except flounder). Freshwater (not farm raised) salmon, flounder, mackeral, tilapia, and tuna are good to start. Mushrooms are great for the immune system. If you can get your diarrhea under control, a really good multivitamin should help too. I think you know where and how to find the good ones so I won't lecture you about that.

Keep us posted and the best of luck to you guy!!!

Lisa P.
  • rthornton
    rthornton Member Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    scouty said:

Hi Rodney,

I am sorry you are having such a hard time with chemo but sometimes the ole bod can just take so much. Stop that diarrhea with some probiotics (I take Megaflora). It helps replace the healthy bacteria your intestines need. Chemo and antibiotics kill off all bacteria in the digestive system including the ones that wear white hats!!!!! Replace them first, then you can work on your immune system (WBC). Obviously, you tummy is very upset so the probiotic should help settle it down too. Water and other very alkaline foods can help too. If you can drink it without gagging, drink some of the "green foods" supplements that are out there (barleans, green magma, etc). Buy the powder, not the pill forms for now since you are probably dehydrated already. Good alkaline foods to help calm you system while helping you immune system are: onions, sweet potatoes, raspberries, watermelon, pineapple, tangerines, cashews, peppers, garlic, asparagus, kale, broccoli, grapefruit, cantelope, honeydew, all citrus and most other friuts and veggies. Once you innards calm down, eat those beans, peas, and healthy grains.

Try to stay away from sugar, especially high fructose corn syrup, MSG, and meat products unless they are natural and free of growth hormones. But even then, do not eat meat more then twice a week. If you like fish, stay away from shellfish and other bottom feeders (except flounder). Freshwater (not farm raised) salmon, flounder, mackeral, tilapia, and tuna are good to start. Mushrooms are great for the immune system. If you can get your diarrhea under control, a really good multivitamin should help too. I think you know where and how to find the good ones so I won't lecture you about that.

Keep us posted and the best of luck to you guy!!!

Lisa P.

Hi Lisa.

Currently, my arsenal of supplements are 1 probiotic, 1 flax oil supplement, and 1 fish oil supplement with each meal (or 3 times a day). Also, with breakfast I have a medium potency multivitamin called "just once" by Rainbow Light, and then with lunch and dinner I take one (for each meal) "Ultra Juice Green" tablet, make by Nature's Plus. I have some trace minerals and ground flax seeds, but I haven't started taking them. Also, I take Metamucil before and after each meal. That makes my digestive system work much, much better.

The diarrhea is now in control, so that my main problem is this low white blood cell count. I'm not sure what will help with that.

Maybe I'll try one of these "green drinks". I do not have a juicer of my own to make my own juices. That may come eventually.

I also bought a new bicycle last weekend, so I can start exercising more.

Thanks for your replies!

Rodney
  • taraHK
    taraHK Member Posts: 1,952 Member
    Options
    Hi Rodney,
    I am so sorry to hear about your low white blood cell count. As you know, I have had problems with this too, resulting in several delays in my chemo. The good news is that my WBC count always rises again -- it just sometimes takes a while (up to 2 weeks, for me). My onc reassured me that a delay of up to 3 weeks in any given cycle has been shown to not affect efficacy. However, like me, I am sure you are anxious to get the chemo over and done with.

In terms of boosting WBC, the only advice my docs were able to give me was to eat plenty of protein and get plenty of rest. And take a multiple vitamin loaded with C and B complex. This advices does come from a traditional western medicine approach. With a lowered WBC count, I've been asked to avoid raw vegetables, unpeeled fruit, raw meat/fish (no sushi!), and crowds and to be scrupullous about hygiene in the home, to avoid infection. My WBC count has never gone down to really scary levels, but the risk of infection does increase.

As you know, after my last round of chemo, I took Neupogen. This is a drug to boost WBC production. It worked well for me. I had shots for 4 consecutive days. There is also a longer-lasting version called Neulasta (ie one-shot deal). I am not sure about the insurance implications as I am in a different system (outside USA). It is expensive.

My doc focuses on the neutrocil (?) count -- that is one part of the WBC. The "cut off" for my docs is 1.5 (but the numbering system may be different in different countries?).

Good luck, Rodney -- you are going to get through this!

All the best,
    Tara

Tara
  • HisJoy
    HisJoy Member Posts: 113
    Options
    I'm surprised they haven't given you a shot - that's the most sure-fire way to get the white count up. Neupogen is OK, or the heavy-duty one that lasts a couple weeks is Neulasta. I have had trouble with white count, as well, and picked up a nasty secondary infection as a result. You do NOT want that to happen, trust me. Ask your onc about the shot.

Joyfully,
    BB
  • themis01
    themis01 Member Posts: 167
    Options
    My mom takes the neulasta shot weekly, but the week she had diarrhea severely her WBC went well below 1000 anyway. They kept her in the hospital on tons of fluid and it went back up in 3 days.
    Erika
  • jana11
    jana11 Member Posts: 705
    Options
    themis01 said:

My mom takes the neulasta shot weekly, but the week she had diarrhea severely her WBC went well below 1000 anyway. They kept her in the hospital on tons of fluid and it went back up in 3 days.
    Erika

Sorry man, hang in there. At the height of my chemo last time, I became so anemic that I had to suspend chemo a few times. I had procrit injections. Try not to stress. Get some sleep.

My brother used to do research for a vitamin company and told me to eat lots of mushrooms. Hmmm.

Stay healthy... no undercooked meats/fish, wash your hands LOTS, sleep lots, exercise if you have the energy.

Hope you are doing good. jana
  • kangatoo
    kangatoo Member Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    jana11 said:

Sorry man, hang in there. At the height of my chemo last time, I became so anemic that I had to suspend chemo a few times. I had procrit injections. Try not to stress. Get some sleep.

My brother used to do research for a vitamin company and told me to eat lots of mushrooms. Hmmm.

Stay healthy... no undercooked meats/fish, wash your hands LOTS, sleep lots, exercise if you have the energy.

Hope you are doing good. jana

Hiya Rodney. Not much I can add here except to say stay away from anyone that has any illness. Goes without saying I guess mate. Thinkin of you here in oz buddy.
    huggs kanga n Jen
  • finner
    finner Member Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Hello Rodney
    Sorry to hear about this setback. I feel so lucky that not once did I have to have treatment delayed, but I did meet people who did. These people seemed to be on folfox as opposed to folfiri, they did evntually finish their treatments though. Good luck with your research for an answer and best wishes. I know that you want to get this treatment doen with asap and delays are worrying..

Best regards
    Margo