Father in Law PC

salnleslie
salnleslie Member Posts: 2
edited March 2014 in Prostate Cancer #1
Hi All. I am a 35 year old Thyroid cancer survivor trying to help my 63 year old father-in-law who was diagnosed with PC in June 2003. His PSH was 11 at the time. He was told after a PET Ct scan that the cancer was not enclosed in the prostate and that it was in his hip bone> Therefore, he was not a candidate for surgery. We are all getting confusing information. He has been on hormone injections for the last 2 years and that he would only have about 10 years until the injections no longer worked. He has no one to talk to that has PC. It has taken some time for him to admit that he really wants to talk to others that have gone through this and are doing well. Having had cancer myself, I know how hard it is to stay positive about your condition and your future. Unfortunately,he is not computer savy. I just want to help educate him and to calm his fears. Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Comments

• Willx
    Willx Member Posts: 41
    The only suggestion I have is for your father-in-law to consider attending any local support group meetings that may be available. That is more personal that these kinds of messages, and he can see there are real people out there who are dealing with the same problem. I understand how he feels, but why not look in to a group? Even if there is just one person who has prostate cancer locally he can talk to in person, that might be of help.
  • breadmond
    breadmond Member Posts: 13
    Hi,
    I agree with willx, a local church maybe a good place to enquire or your local community services for support groups and of course your doctor. Gods blessings
    Twinbrook2
  • edmund
    edmund Member Posts: 19 Member
    Call the local ACS and find out when the Man to Man group meets. This is usually a group of men that have PCa or are survivors. They are always willing to talk and share experiences and should help your father in law open up. It did help me.