Newly diagnosed RP 4/14

easy
easy Member Posts: 3
edited March 2014 in Prostate Cancer #1
Hello Everyone,
I'm Mrs Easy...Mr Easy is age 50 and he's been coming for the past few nights and reading the posts for SEVERAL hours. I told him I'd set up a user account so he can get to know some of you.

My husband's dad was diagnosed with PC at the age of 56, it had already gone to bone (he died at 57). DH started doing PSA's when he turned 45. At 47 (3 years ago) he had a biopsy, it came back normal. I wasn't prepared for the shock of a positive during this biopsy. I figured the last one was ok...this would be too.

RP scheduled for this coming Wednesday. His Gleason Score is 3+3 (6). His PSA was 4.1. I've been online reading all I can find. What a blessing to find this forum.

DH hasn't used message forums before but I'm sure with a little time he will learn to feel comfortable here.
Keep us in your prayers for his surgery.

Mrs. Easy

Comments

• rogermoore
    rogermoore Member Posts: 264 Member
    Good morning Mrs Easy,

I'm sorry to hear of your husband's recent diagnosis. However, it would appear he has caught the cancer in it's early stages. Thank goodness he was monitoring his PSA regularly.

My Father also had PC so I was monitoring my PSA and caught mine early also. I too elected to have a RP and have been extremely satisfied with the results.

Selection of the Surgeon is CRITICAL! Your husband and YOU should both be extremely comfortable with your choice. Remember, he is dealing with your husband's body so it is very important you both are sure you have made the best possible decision.

Please feel free to e-mail me any questions or continue posting on this site. I check it almost daily.

Best of luck and keep in touch.

Roger
  • Davidr39
    Davidr39 Member Posts: 1
    Hello Mrs Easy,

I was diagnosed last november with PCa, I had a PSA of 5.4 and after biopsy found I had a 7 Gleason. My wife and I read everything we could and talked endlessly with others in our position as well as doctors. We decided on RP and it was performed last Feb. I guess I am an exception because I do use a pad during the day but it isn't as bad as it could be and i suspect in a month or two it won't be necessary at all. I keep one on at night but that is more just for peace of mind because it's dry 9 times out of 10 in the morning. Unfortunatly I was given a bit of a shocker when I had the staples removed. Pathology reported that the cancer had spread to the Lymph nodes. The Doctor has recommended Chemo every third week and then Hormone treatments so don't klnow what I am going to do yet. Guess I'll go for a few more opinions and end up doning what needs to be done. I wish Mr. Easy the very best and youo keep the faith.

David
  • joeyray
    joeyray Member Posts: 5
    Hi Mrs. Easy
    Sorry to hear about your husband
    Three years ago at the age of 45 i had a Rp since then i have been fine.Everything works great and at times i forget i had the surgery.My only advice would be get as much info as you can on the doctor and hospital before making a choice.Also a great book to read is Surviving Prostate Cancer by Dr. Patrick Walsh
  • JimDSM
    JimDSM Member Posts: 8
    M&M Easy...

Sorry about your recent diagnosis and wish you both the best. I'm new to the CSN group and have posted my essential details on my personal web page "The first year". Please read it if you'd like. I was diagnosed with PC in January 2004 at age 58. My PSA was 8.6 and the biopsy returned a Geason of 8 (4+4). Prior to surgery we investigated what treatments were available and the data on the outcomes for each, what future treatments might be needed and who/where to go. I had a RP late Feb 2004 at Mayo Clinics in Rochester, MN. My every 3 month PSA's have been "below detectable limits" so things continue to be encouraging. Based on my surgical outcome and the post-op lab tests, the CA treatment team at Mayo and my local oncologist didn't recommend chemo or radiation. I had a supra-pubic incision (belly button to pubic bone) and the surgeon used "super glue" rather than staples to close the external incision. There of course were internal stitches but the external incision healed neatly and I had none of the problems that can happen with external stitches or staples. It was wonderful for post-op recovery. Please stay in touch and ask any questions that come up.

JimDSM
    (Jim in Des Moines)
  • dakotarunner
    dakotarunner Member Posts: 102 Member
    Good Evening,
    By now your husband ahs been through the surgery and is back home. He probably has a cathetar in place, and does not appreciate it so much, but if he relaxes, he will realize there isn't a whole lot he can do about it. The first few weeks seem very hard. So much we(ie:your husband will run into, and not be sure of what is happening. Please, either you, or better your husband call your doctor and ask questions if you are concerned. RP is a pretty major thing, both physically, and I feel mentally. It takes a while to get over it and get back into the swing of things. Then it takes even longer to get back to normal. I knkow I got very depressed while at home. I look back at that time and think how low I was. Time will go on, an Mr. Easy will realize how lucky he is to have a loving wife, family, friends,and most of all, his life. Encourage Mr. Easy to talk about what he has been through. It is not an easy path to go down, but it is not easy for anyone who runs into cancer. God's Blessings to both of you.
  • rogermoore
    Good morning Mrs. Easy,

How ironic that when I sat down at the computer the first thing I thought about was your husband's surgery. When I went to the forum dakotarunner had inquired about your'alls situation.

His response was very appropriate and accurate. It is a major happening and your husband is most certainly going though a lot of mental stress about the "unknown". Both of you should be aware that we are here to talk to and ask questions of. There is life after Cancer and we are living proof that it happens.

Please let us know how things are progressing and contact us if you have any questions or need support.

Roger
  • easy
    Good Morning All!
    Thank you EVERYONE for your encouragement and support.

We just arrived home yesterday 4/18 Monday (from the hospital stay).

His surgery took about 6 hours and then he was in recovery for 2-1/2 hours. He had considerable blood loss which almost required a blood transfusion. He spent most of the next few days going from oxygen on to oxygen off, then on again. IV's in and then out and then back in again. Blood draws constantly. I was so worried. I've never seen a surgery be so hard on him. I guess as we get older, some of us do not bounce back so quickly. He's only 50 but this really has drained him.

His first night home has been rough. He was up vomiting. I told him I was going to take him to emergency but he wouldn't let me. He is having trouble keeping food down, then will take pain medication, then will throw up. That makes sense as his stomach is empty. I backed off on his diet to cl liquids, he ate a small amount of broth. Then we had him take only one of his pain meds and he did better through the night. He looks good this morning. I think broth and perhaps a piece of toast would be good for his breakfast.

We await the results from lab on his Lymph Nodes. Should be getting those any day now.

I want you all to know that he spent MANY nights on this website reading every thread...page after page. He said he learned more here than anywhere on the Internet.

Again thank you for your care and concern. We will keep in touch.
    Keeya
    (LOL...Mrs Easy just doesn't sound right)
  • easy
    Update:
    He continues to improve! No vomiting since the episode on his first night home. Ohhhhhh that was so bad. I almost called an ambulance but he wouldn't let me. He hasn't been nauseated since, I'm glad that part is behind us.

He received results of his lymph node tests today. The cancer didn't spread to them!!!

His catheter gets removed this coming Wednesday. That will make it 2 weeks total that he has it in.

His spirits lifted after getting the good news regarding his lymph nodes.

He seems tired but was up most of today.
    I'll check in again after he gets the catheter out. I know he's dreading that.
    Keeya
  • rogermoore
    easy said:

Update:
    He continues to improve! No vomiting since the episode on his first night home. Ohhhhhh that was so bad. I almost called an ambulance but he wouldn't let me. He hasn't been nauseated since, I'm glad that part is behind us.

He received results of his lymph node tests today. The cancer didn't spread to them!!!

His catheter gets removed this coming Wednesday. That will make it 2 weeks total that he has it in.

His spirits lifted after getting the good news regarding his lymph nodes.

He seems tired but was up most of today.
    I'll check in again after he gets the catheter out. I know he's dreading that.
    Keeya

Keeya,

Assure your husband that removal of the catheter is not painful. Perhaps a little discomfort, but not painful.

He will have some leakage however. This is normal and until the results of the kegel exercises begin to develop (other muscles assuming the role of the prostate in controlling the flow)this is to be expected.

That is really great news about the lymph nodes!!! Tell him to keep the faith and work diligently on the kegel exercises and he should recover quickly.

Best of luck and keep us updated.

Roger
  • dakotarunner
    dakotarunner Member Posts: 102 Member

Keeya,

Assure your husband that removal of the catheter is not painful. Perhaps a little discomfort, but not painful.

He will have some leakage however. This is normal and until the results of the kegel exercises begin to develop (other muscles assuming the role of the prostate in controlling the flow)this is to be expected.

That is really great news about the lymph nodes!!! Tell him to keep the faith and work diligently on the kegel exercises and he should recover quickly.

Best of luck and keep us updated.

Roger

Time flys, except when you are waitng to get a catheter out. Best thing now is to not get disappointed and depressed. I was amazed how well things progressed. Everyone is different, some have no leakage problems, others have more. But the thing to remember is that no one will realize your are making temporary use of a pad (unless you wear a sign). I found that the kegal exercise helped, but not as much as just getting out and walking. But like I said, everyone is different.

Glad to hear about the lymph nodes. It takes pressure of Mr. Easy, I am sure. Now it is getting back up to full steam and some periodic check ups. I am post op 15 months, and just came back from Mayo with an all clear test. 15 months from now I bet that I get to see Mr. Easy sign in and tell us he is 15 months out and all OK.

Enjoy the nice spring weather, and don't forget, there are a lot of us out here who will always listen.
    God's Blessing to both of you.
    DR