New to group. Megace Questions

Hi, Im new to this site. I was just recently (2 months) diagnosed with Uterine cancer, early stage 1. Thanks to a polyp that thought to be found in my cervix but actually started in the uterus. Im 31 and I do not have any children (I was attemping to have some and all this "stuff" was discovered. I have been taking megace as my form of treatment for a little over a month now, but around the time (this month) when I would have statred my period i actually started to spot and cramp a bit. I gave it a few days (thinkin ok the hormones must take sometime to kick in) but now i have been bleeding (not heavy but enough) My Dr. told me I should not get my period while on Megace. I called my Dr. (he is away for 2 weeks) and a nurse called me back after speaking with another Dr, who advised me to take 2 more pills a day. (orginally taking 2 in AM 2 in PM) now Im taking 6 pills a day (240 mg total). the only other side effect I have is insomnia. Has anyone had any similar experience with megace? I finally stopped being a basketcase about having to take this "Megace" and now i have to take MORE. I am afraid it is not working!

Comments

• This comment has been removed by the Moderator
  • tammyk
    tammyk Member Posts: 4
    Just a quick heads up on the Megace. I know it takes a long time to take effect. I was on it for 6 months before there were any results. My medication has changed since than due to my personal situation. Don't give up hope with the med's they will work!
  • doylec
    doylec Member Posts: 5
    sorry it's taken me so long to respond, I don't check these as often as I should. I was DxAug 04 uterine cancer I'm 56 and had post menopausil bleeding had hysterectomy Nov. pelvic area was clean but uterine cancer cells got into my blood went to my lungs. Initally used magace to treat the spots in my lungs and was working, however by March seemed to be new growth so started chemo also. Discontinued the magace in May Dr. said that oftentimes it would become ineffective after 4-6 months. It gives you a sense of well-being but the big problem I had was weight gain(they also give it to HIV patients because it tends to pack on the weight). It gives you a voracious appitite you want to eat everything in site or at least I did now I'm trying to lose some of the weight I gained while onnmagae & chemo. By now you may not even be on it anymore. Have you tried comming into the chat room here they really are a very supportive group of people and alot of times you can find somebody in there 24/7 or if not right away hang around a few min and somebody might show up.alot of cancer & chemo patients have insomnia too.I hope all is going well for you now. Take Care & God Bless Cathy Doyle (doylec)
  • AM
    AM Member Posts: 3
    doylec said:

sorry it's taken me so long to respond, I don't check these as often as I should. I was DxAug 04 uterine cancer I'm 56 and had post menopausil bleeding had hysterectomy Nov. pelvic area was clean but uterine cancer cells got into my blood went to my lungs. Initally used magace to treat the spots in my lungs and was working, however by March seemed to be new growth so started chemo also. Discontinued the magace in May Dr. said that oftentimes it would become ineffective after 4-6 months. It gives you a sense of well-being but the big problem I had was weight gain(they also give it to HIV patients because it tends to pack on the weight). It gives you a voracious appitite you want to eat everything in site or at least I did now I'm trying to lose some of the weight I gained while onnmagae & chemo. By now you may not even be on it anymore. Have you tried comming into the chat room here they really are a very supportive group of people and alot of times you can find somebody in there 24/7 or if not right away hang around a few min and somebody might show up.alot of cancer & chemo patients have insomnia too.I hope all is going well for you now. Take Care & God Bless Cathy Doyle (doylec)

Endometrial met to lung cancer
    Thanks to this precious group. My Mami (Spanish) has many cancer nodes in her rt lung and it fills with fluid after emptying it . We realize that this may be the end, but it has not spread to her brain. The Drs. Say it's everywhere microscopically, but I just want to make sure that we've done everything that we can do. She's very weak and sometimes out of touch with what's going on around her. She's had all treatments and survived 6 yrs. thank you .
  • AM
    doylec said:

Thanks to this precious group. My Mami (Spanish) has many cancer nodes in her rt lung and it fills with fluid after emptying it . We realize that this may be the end, but it has not spread to her brain. The Drs. Say it's everywhere microscopically, but I just want to make sure that we've done everything that we can do. She's very weak and sometimes out of touch with what's going on around her. She's had all treatments and survived 6 yrs. thank you .
  • AM
    doylec said: