Results of MRI of the lumbar spine

Options
FRANTIC
FRANTIC Member Posts: 106
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Hello everyone. I am up early took 2 xanax last night and getting ready to go to work. I find comfort writing my feelings on this message board. ALL of you out there are a God sent and have a true understanding of all the anxieties with this disease. To update you I had an MRI of the lumbar spine on Saturday. I have been having pins and needles feeling throughout the butt area and down the legs and lower spine. My oncolist called me last nite with the results of the MRI. It seems to show the same thing in comparison to the DEc.30,2004 MRI of the pelvis. It was an insufficency fracture of the right sacral area vs
rule out mets to the bone. However the lower spine is okay. He also said the report now showed the same type on insufficience fracture laterally on the left side which was not there back in DEC.2004. He said it is very unusual that if it is a mets to the bone, why is it in the other side laterally to the right side. He asked how I was feeling and if I was in alot of pain. I said I am not in pain but I do know something has not been right since Oct.2004. I even had a catscan of the pelvic bone where it showed no masses but was inconclusive of the right sacral area calling it sclerotic changes. HE the said to get a petscan and see if it lights up. He also said to go to Florida and do it after I get back. I do have an appt. with the hematoligist at Sloan Kettering on Friday for the bone marrow issue(the pelvic area not making red blood cells). Maybe all this is connected. I am not the type of person to sit and wait. I want answers. I am going to see if I can get this petscan this week.
My gut feeling that it is in the pelvic bone. The cancer that I had it was a shock to them all in Aug.2003. about the size and the spread. Every case is different. The way I have been feeling I am positive it is in the bone but don't want to believe it. Has anybody had similiar experiences with these MRI's and catscan of the pelvic bone?
Maybe it could be the effects of radiation? But I had the radiation last year and did well with taht with no problems. I am just grasping for positive thoughts. This will delay my trip to Florida for sure. My DR. seems to think if it was in the bone I would be in alot of pain. I am very scared at this point and am looking for support.I think of all you guys all the time and what you are going thru. Your friend Fran

Comments

• griff
    griff Member Posts: 33
    Options
    Dear Frantic,
    The unknown is very scary ecspecially when it comes to this dragon of a disease we are all fighting. Think positive thoughts and you know(like they have all told me)we're all here for you. My prayers and thoughts are with you. This message board was recommended by someone for me to check out and I too, am so very glad I did and I am always inspired by this wonderful group of semi's. They are truly a great support group and will always help and share experiences and knowledge if they can. HANG IN THERE!
    Griff
  • potsy
    potsy Member Posts: 24
    Options
    Dear Fran,

A couple months after chemo, my Dr. scheduled an appt. for a MRI of the spine because I too was having tingling, numbness in hands, butt and back of legs. Prior to that I went to a neurologist to see if I had any nerve damage, but everyting checked out okay. Anyway, the MRI showed calcification (spur) of a disc in my upper neck which was impeding the nerves going down my arms and back, legs etc. It was not severe enough to have surgery, so I opted to do acupuncture, neck adjustments and exercise. It has gotten much better. I still get numbness in my fingers/hands.......but nothing like before. Had a CT Scan in December 04 of the pelvic area and nothing showed up, so I am grateful for that.

Intuition is a good thing (listen to your body)........voice your concerns with your Dr.....it sounds like he has your best interest at heart. Hopefully the PET scan and blood work will come back with good results.

Let us know how things go, I will be very interested to hear of their findings.

Lifting you up in prayer.........

Lorraine
  • MJay
    MJay Member Posts: 132
    Options
    I don't know if this helps or can even be applied... but here is my 2 cents....

Years ago, my hubby (who was my boyfriend at the time) was diagnosed with a tumor in his femur (thigh bone). It was eating away at the bone. He was in excruciating pain. And I mean excruciating. They took bone chipped from his hip and filled the tumor... it worked and the bone fused itself good as new. His tumor was obviously benign. Phew. But what I remember about the whole thing was that the dr explained the excruciating pain was because his femur was fracturing over and over again due to the tumor.

So the dr telling you that he thinks you would be in more pain if it were in your bone makes sense to me.

I can understand your worry and distress. Try to keep the faith and keep positive thoughts.
    MJay
  • MJay
    MJay Member Posts: 132
    Options
    I don't know if this helps or can even be applied... but here is my 2 cents....

Years ago, my hubby (who was my boyfriend at the time) was diagnosed with a tumor in his femur (thigh bone). It was eating away at the bone. He was in excruciating pain. And I mean excruciating. They took bone chipped from his hip and filled the tumor... it worked and the bone fused itself good as new. His tumor was obviously benign. Phew. But what I remember about the whole thing was that the dr explained the excruciating pain was because his femur was fracturing over and over again due to the tumor.

So the dr telling you that he thinks you would be in more pain if it were in your bone makes sense to me.

I can understand your worry and distress. Try to keep the faith and keep positive thoughts.
    MJay