New to the board, but not new to...

KOlchawa
KOlchawa Member Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Cancer. Hi. I was impressed w/ the amount of writing on the colorectal cancer board, so thought I'd introduce myself. My name is Kevin and I'm 32. Was diagnosed with rectal cancer June of 2003, had chemo, radiation, surgery, chemo follow up, matastisis (a few spots in my lung and one lymph node in my chest) and am currently on chemo and avastin (while working full time). I have an illiostomy and am scheduled for scans in a few more weeks to see where things stand. So it's been about 20 months. I'm a member of Gilda's for support, but haven't met anyone w/ a similar experience yet (colon cancer and an illiostomy). I've been frustrated with the ostomy lately because it's limiting and uncomfortable - so hoping there's someone else out there to talk to about similar issues. I could go on, but will hold off for now... I wish everyone a happy new year and the best of luck. -- Kevin

Comments

• goldfinch
    goldfinch Member Posts: 735
    Welcome to the board. I was just diagnosed with metasteses (see below post). You have come to the right place for support. I'm glad to hear you are able to work full time while going through this. It gives me hope. Hope all goes well with your scans. Keep us updated. Regarding the ileostomy. i had a temporary one, but i was lucky and didn't have any problems with it. Have you tried the UOA (united ostomy association) site? They are VERY helpful regarding ostomy issues. Someone here probably has the actual address (www.uoa.org?), but you can find it easily with a search. Again, welcome!
    Mary
  • fedester
    fedester Member Posts: 753 Member
    hi kevin,
    welcome ,sorry we have to meet like this. you have come to a great caring family of survivors and caregivers. i was dx on may 26 04, stage 11 had emergency surgery also have a temp ileo that was reversed in sept. i found several sites for help from people in the same boat. www.uoa.org and www.ostomates.org. i read these 2 sites almost daily for advise and help.
    hope all goes well
    all the best
    bruce
  • andreae
    andreae Member Posts: 236
    Hi Kevin,

Welcome to the board! We do talk a lot, but don't be scared, we're friendly! I am 22, diagnosed in January 2003. Chemo/radiation, APR with colostomy, more chemo, pulmonary mets. were then discovered, more chemo and thoracotomies. Just found out that some nodules remain and they are growing. When were your mets. discovered and have they been controlled by the chemo and Avastin? If so, how long have you been on the protocol? Trying to explore my options so I can find a regime that will do the trick.

Anytime you want to talk... Ostomy, cancer, job, ect., we would love to hear from you! Wishing you and your loved ones a gentle 2005.

Andrea
  • spongebob
    spongebob Member Posts: 2,565 Member
    Ahoy, Kevin -

Welcome to the Semi-Colons. Sorry we have to meet here, but you couldn't find a better group of supportive folks. Lots of people who have walked the walk here.

Can't answer your question, but no doubt there are those who can and will.

Cheers

- SpongeBob
  • spongebob
    spongebob Member Posts: 2,565 Member
    Ahoy, Kevin -

Welcome to the Semi-Colons. Sorry we have to meet here, but you couldn't find a better group of supportive folks. Lots of people who have walked the walk here.

Can't answer your question, but no doubt there are those who can and will.

Cheers

- SpongeBob
  • taraHK
    taraHK Member Posts: 1,952 Member
    Hi Kevin,
    I was also diagnosed with rectal cancer (December 2002). Had chemoradiation, surgery, then chemo. My surgery resulted in permanent colostomy. Others have mentioned the United Ostomy Association discussion group, and I have found it to be a great source of information (and also a supportive group). I am sorry to hear you are having frustrations with your ostomy. If I can be of any help, please let me know. I don't have an ileostomy, so I am in a somewhat different situation. Best wishes,
    Tara
  • Lisa Rose
    Lisa Rose Member Posts: 598 Member
    Hi Kevin,

Welcome to the club! ! !

I was also diagnosed with rectal cancer March 5, 2002 at age 40. I can't answer your question but there are other's here who can.
    This is a great board Kevin with lot's of support,love & kindness....

Lisa R
  • Kanort
    Kanort Member Posts: 1,272 Member
    Hi Kevin,

Welcome to our group. I finished chemo six months ago after being diagnosed in October 03 with Stage 3 colon cancer.

I know someone with similar issues will respond soon. Please keep of posted on your progress. You are not alone.

Kay
  • kangatoo
    kangatoo Member Posts: 2,105 Member
    Kanort said:

Hi Kevin,

Welcome to our group. I finished chemo six months ago after being diagnosed in October 03 with Stage 3 colon cancer.

I know someone with similar issues will respond soon. Please keep of posted on your progress. You are not alone.

Kay

You are never alone here Kevin. Welcome mate from us in OZ. My situation is different so the other guys will help you out. In time you will see that the group here do have very much in common and I am sure the benefits to you will be outstanding.
    Please return here often with anything that worries you. You will find ocassionally a bit of humour here too...just to ease the tension.
    cheers, kanga n Jen
  • FRANTIC
    FRANTIC Member Posts: 106
    Hi kevin. Welcome. My name is Fran (FRANTIC). I
    was dx.in Aug.2003 with Stage 4 locally advanced
    colon cancer. I had my cecum,ascending colon and part of my sigmoid colon removed. I also had part of the terminal ileum removed and have a illeostomy. I also have part of the descending colon left which is disconnected. It is non-functioning and drains thru the left side of the abdomen. It is not too easy to deal with. I am 49.
    I had chemo and radiation, pulmonary embolisms and
    now osteoporosis of the lumbar spine. I came across on the internet thru recommendation
    "SHAZ'S OSTOMY SUPPORT GROUP". It is a great support group and people there are very friendly.
    Some have similiar situations. Any time you want to talk to me you can. Your friend Fran.
    (FRANTIC) I am back working full time since June 1,2004.
  • jana11
    jana11 Member Posts: 705
    Hi Kevin,

Yep, there are quite a few of us out there. I was diagnosed 11/02 with stage 3 rectal cancer at age 32. I am now stage 4. I had APR, so I have a permanent colostomy and a thoracotomy. Right now I am done with treatments and playing the waiting game. I continued to work full time through all of it.
    Come here ANYTIME with questions/concerns.

Wishing you all the best. jana
  • taunya
    taunya Member Posts: 390 Member
    Hi Kevin,
    I don't have any info for you but I want to say Hello and welcome. This is a great place to hang your hat.
    Be Well,
    Taunya