Wilm's

bodishcats
bodishcats Member Posts: 2
edited March 2014 in Kidney Cancer #1
My 2 yr 5 month old daughter was just diagnosed with bilateral Wilm's tumor on 10/15/04. I'm devastated! Could someone please send me a message with some inspiration? I cannot bear the thought of losing my little girl!
Anne

Comments

• Chicago
    Chicago Member Posts: 73 Member
    Hey Anne,

I'm sorry I don't know too much about Wilm's (I had RCC), but I do know that it is one of the more treatable forms of kidney cancer.

A good friend of mine was diagnosed with Wilm's at about 10 years old. The tumor had swallowed her entire kidney to become the size of a small basketball, and had spread to her lungs. They removed the diseased kidney and a piece of one of her lungs, and did chemo and radiation for a year after.

Last I saw her, she was doing fine years later.

Unlike RCC, Wilm's can be treated by many conventional anti-cancer procedures. I've heard of many other young children with the disease who have survived well. It won't be easy, I'm sure. But you have much to be hopeful for.
  • lismor
    lismor Member Posts: 15
    My heart and prayers go out to you and your family. One can only image what you are feeling. I don't know anything about wilms I wish I did. But there are a few message boards that you can check out bravekids.org , acor.org, health-nexus.com, cancerindex.org You might be able to find others out there that have gone through this experience etc. Hang in there!
  • bagiwinkle
    bagiwinkle Member Posts: 1
    Anne,

Here's some real hope! I am a 47 year old female that had a wilm's tumor at age 2! I have run 2 marathons, competed in triathlons, am the captain of a 50 foot Schooner, am healthy and have lived a full and rewarding life. My heart goes out to you - my Mom and I use to discuss how hard my illness was for the family - especially my Mom! While I do have memories of the hospital - my strongest memory was worrying about my Mom - she seemed so sad. My operation was 45 years ago - they have come so far since then!! Stay strong for her! Keep the faith!
    Teri