Experimental Drup Alimta

gbemi
gbemi Member Posts: 2
edited March 2014 in Lung Cancer #1
I came across some information about this experimental drug - Alimta on WWW.Medlineplus.com and would like to know if anyone have some good information about this or have tried this drug. What are the results like and side effects (if any yet known).

Gbemi.

Comments

• michaelcie
    michaelcie Member Posts: 133
    hi, I also saw that drug, it was in trials . They had it in www.cancerpage.com , it was in June or July of this year. They had trial information on it. CHeck the archieves and you will find it. Goodluck and Godbless Mike
  • Plymouthean
    Plymouthean Member Posts: 262
    Hi, I just saw (11/04) that Alimta has been approved by the FDA. Check out Alimta.com on your web browser for full information. Best wishes. Ernie
  • DoubleKnot
    DoubleKnot Member Posts: 41
    Hello jbemi,

I am sending the info. that I found concerning Alimta. I hope that it will help you. Take care and good luck.

DoubleKnot
    (Info.Below)

http://www.drugdigest.org/DD/DVH/Uses/0,3915,553014/Alimta,00.html

Click here: Alimta - Drugs & Vitamins - Drug Library - DrugDigest

Alimta Active Ingredients: Pemetrexed for Injection
    Representative Names: Alimta

What is Pemetrexed injection?
    What should my health care professional know before I receive Pemetrexed?
    How should this medicine be used?
    What if I miss a dose?
    What drug(s) may interact with Pemetrexed?
    What side effects may I notice from receiving Pemetrexed?
    What should I watch for while taking Pemetrexed?
    Where can I keep my medicine?

What is Pemetrexed injection? (Back to top)
    PEMETREXED (Alimta��?���®) is a type of chemotherapy that is used to treat certain kinds of cancer, including lung cancer, mesothelioma (a special type of lung cancer), head and neck cancer, pancreatic cancer, and bladder cancer, among others. Pemetrexed affects cells that are rapidly growing, such as cancer cells and cells in your mouth and stomach. Generic pemetrexed injection is not yet available.

What should my health care professional know before I receive Pemetrexed? (Back to top)
    They need to know if you have any of these conditions:
    ?an active infection
    ?bleeding or blood disorders
    ?cold sores or previous chickenpox or shingles infection
    ?if you frequently drink alcohol-containing beverages
    ?kidney disease or on dialysis
    ?liver disease
    ?an unusual reaction to Pemetrexed, mannitol, other medicines, foods, dyes, or preservatives
    ?pregnant or trying to get pregnant
    ?breast-feeding

How should this medicine be used? (Back to top)
    Pemetrexed is for injection into a vein. Pemetrexed will be given to you in a hospital or clinic setting by a health care professional. Pemetrexed is usually given every 3 weeks.

To reduce the risk of various side effects, you will need to take certain vitamin supplements and other medicines during pemetrexed treatment. Your prescriber may give you a vitamin B-12 injection before you begin the first dose of pemetrexed, and occasionally during your other pemetrexed treatments. You should also take folic acid supplements before and during your treatment with pemetrexed; usually the folic acid is given once daily. You may also receive a corticosteroid (such as dexamethasone) briefly (for 3 days) during your treatment to help prevent a skin rash. Your prescriber will determine which supplements or medicines you need and what dosages are right for you. Follow all instructions of your prescriber. Ask your prescriber if you have questions.

Contact your pediatrician or health care professional regarding the use of this medicine in children. Special care may be needed.

What if I miss a dose? (Back to top)
    It is important not to miss a dose. Notify your prescriber or health care professional if you are unable to keep an appointment.

What drug(s) may interact with Pemetrexed? (Back to top)
    ?anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs, such as ibuprofen, diclofenac, naproxen, etodolac, ketorolac, flurbiprofen, piroxicam)
    ?aspirin and aspirin-like medicines
    ?probenecid
    ?pyrimethamine
    ?vaccines

Tell your prescriber or health care professional about all other medicines you are taking, including non-prescription medicines, nutritional supplements, or herbal products. Also tell your prescriber or health care professional if you are a frequent user of drinks with caffeine or alcohol, if you smoke, or if you use illegal drugs. These may affect the way your medicine works. Check with your health care professional before stopping or starting any of your medicines.

What side effects may I notice from receiving Pemetrexed? (Back to top)
    Side effects that you should report to your prescriber or health care professional as soon as possible:
    ?chest pain
    ?confusion
    ?depression
    ?diarrhea
    ?difficulty breathing
    ?difficulty or pain upon swallowing
    ?difficulty walking or pain when walking
    ?mouth or throat sores or ulcers
    ?skin rash, hives, or itching
    ?symptoms of infection - fever or chills, cough, sore throat, pain or difficulty passing urine
    ?symptoms of decreased platelets or bleeding - bruising, pinpoint red spots on the skin, black, tarry stools, blood in the urine
    ?symptoms of decreased red blood cells (anemia) - unusual weakness or tiredness, fainting spells, lightheadedness, shortness of breath
    ?vomiting
    ?yellow coloring of skin or eyes

Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (report to your prescriber or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome):
    ?constipation
    ?low-grade fever
    ?hair loss
    ?loss of appetite
    ?nausea
    ?tiredness

What should I watch for while taking Pemetrexed? (Back to top)
    Visit your prescriber or health care professional for checks on your progress. You will need to have regular blood checks. The side effects of pemetrexed can continue after you finish your treatment; report side effects promptly.

Avoid alcohol-containing beverages while taking pemetrexed. Your prescriber or health care professional will closely monitor your liver function while you are taking pemetrexed.

Pemetrexed may decrease your body's ability to fight infections. Call your prescriber or health care professional if you have a fever, chills, sore throat or other symptoms of a cold or flu. Do not treat these symptoms yourself. Try to avoid being around people who are sick. Pemetrexed may increase your risk to bruise or bleed. Call your prescriber or health care professional if you notice any unusual bleeding. Be careful not to cut, bruise or injure yourself because you may get an infection and bleed more than usual.

Pemetrexed may harm your unborn baby. Contact your prescriber immediately if you believe or think you may have become pregnant while taking pemetrexed. Women should use contraception while taking pemetrexed therapy.

Call your prescriber or health care professional if you get diarrhea or mouth sores. Do not treat yourself.

Be careful brushing and flossing your teeth or using a toothpick while receiving pemetrexed because you may get an infection or bleed more easily. If you have any dental work done, tell your dentist you are taking pemetrexed.

Drink several glasses of water a day. This will help to reduce possible kidney problems.

If you are going to have surgery, tell your prescriber or health care professional that you are taking pemetrexed.

Where can I keep my medicine? (Back to top)
    This does not apply. Pemetrexed injection will be given in a hospital or clinic setting. You will not store this medicine at home.
  • agnespetunia
    agnespetunia Member Posts: 5
    My husband has been on alimta since April 2003. It is wonderful!!!!!!! He was dignosed March 2003, Stage IV, 41 yrs. non-smoker. This chemo has allowed us to live a normal life! we could go on like this forever! He gets a little tired but who doesn't when you are running your own co. and have 3 young boys! I would suggest anyone to try this.