Terrified

Biancia
Biancia Member Posts: 3
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
My husband was diagnosed in May, 04 with stage 4 rectal cancer. He has had 6 weeks of chemo and radiation so far nad it shrunk the rectal tumor to near invisable but some of the nodules in his lungs have gotten bigger. So now he is going back on a different chemo regime with the hope that it will shrink his lung nodules nad make surgery on the original site possible. Are there any stage 4 survivors out there? I'm terrified and could use all the advise I can get. Thank you.

Comments

• tkd3g
    tkd3g Member Posts: 767
    Hi Biancia. Sorry about your husbands diagnosis. Really stinks doesn't it! I am a stage 3 rectal cancer patient. I'm just starting my post-op chemo. I'm new to this myself, so not too much information to pass along.

Stay strong. Ask lots of questions, when you are ready. Post here often. Many very wise, smart and funny people here going thru the same ordeal.

What type of chemo is your husband taking?

You and your husband are in my thoughts and prayers.

Don't forget to laugh. You may not feel like it , but youwill always feel better afterwards. Laugh a lot. And laugh hard. Till it hurts. It is truely the best medicine!

Barb
  • Hello Biancia. I know exactly how terrified and helpless you feel. I was there just one year ago when my husband was diagnosed stage III right colon cancer.

What I can share with you is that we've come a long way since that awful day in July 2003 when the floor opened up and swallowed me alive. In part, we've traveled so far because of our research into exactly what we are dealing with, getting second and even third opinions from oncologists, getting treatment at a major cancer center with an oncologist that came extremely highly recommended, is a regular go getter, fighter, aggressive, and one that we both truly like and are happy with (vital component...find one that you trust and like), and most importantly, realizing that the diagnosis of cancer is NO LONGER an automatic death sentence.

This group has helped me (us) tremendously with all of the above. There are many, many stage iv success stories and I'm sure some of them will be in touch with you shortly. Stacey comes to mind immediately, a stage iv, who today is cancer free (Way to go Stacey), but I'll let her tell you all about it. It gave us such hope that stage iv's are making it and actually made us feel kind of lucky that the love of my love was ONLY stage III (see what cancer will do to you in terms of thinking), realizing that perhaps his chances were even better.

Be that as it may, we are all individuals and "statistics" are just that, statistics. No one is to say for certain that the lower your stage, the better your chances for survival. By the books, yes. But it's an individual thing and your husband has got a good chance of living many, many more years managing this awful "****" if not complete remission. My husband's oncologist is currently treating quite of few stage iv's who have been around 8+ years and doing very well, as well as a number of which have been able to undergo surgery...the biggest shot at cure.

Don't give up and don't give in. Support your husband in the fight that is ahead and keep your spirits high (difficult at times, I know). Keep us posted, welcome to our group although I am so very sorry for the circumstances that brought you here, and hang as tough as you can.

Fondly,
    Monika
  • mikew42
    mikew42 Member Posts: 114 Member
    Hi Bianca,

I was diagnosed Stage 4 colon cancer in February of this year. I had mets to the liver. I have had 16 treatments of chemo and now I am officially in remission as of two weeks ago. I don't know when I will be officially called a survivor, but certainly look forward to that day. I have heard from other stage 4 lung survivors on this site, hopefully they will reply. Never give up hope and keep positive. Mike
  • carmen07
    carmen07 Member Posts: 120 Member
    Hi Biancia
    Sorry to hear about your husband's diagnose. I know how you feel, because I was terrified when my husband was diagnose with stage 4 in oct 2003 with mets to the liver. I did not know much about colon cancer and I was in shock because my husband has always been such a healthy person.
    He had the tumor removed in 10/03 and two lesions removed from his liver this year 6/04. He had 9 treatments of chemo before his liver surgery. He is now getting post-op treatment to kill any micro cancer cells that may have been disturbed during his liver surgery. The doctors do use the word cure.
    I have found that finding this site has help me deal with my fears. There are many stage 4 survivors on this site.
    My advise to you is first to be comfortable with your doctor. If you are not comfortable get a second opinion.
    Ask lots of questions, and stay positive.
    Today people are living with cancer. New drugs come out everyday, and I pray for everyone that there will be a cure soon.
  • StacyGleaso
    StacyGleaso Member Posts: 1,233 Member
    Hi Biancia,

I am a stage 4 survivor. Mine spread to my liver. That was one month shy of 3 yrs ago. Today, I am all clear. The original diagnosis can make you feel helpless, but put those feelings aside, and take charge of the battle. What chemo regime has he been on? I had 5 FU, leuvorican, and camptosar. Take each day as it comes, and some will be better than others. Altering diet can also make a difference. E-mail 2bhealed (Emily) through this site, and she can guide you regarding diet suggestions. She is amazing.

All my best,

Stacy
  • belinda25
    belinda25 Member Posts: 44
    Hi Biancia,

Sorry to hear the news, I know how you feel. My dad was diagnosed with stage IV colon cancer with mets to the lungs. He has just started his 2nd cycle of 5FU/oxaliplatin and Avastin. He so far is coping well although we are not sure yet how the chemo is working. I am hoping that i can say one day that my dad is a survivor but at the moment i understand the feeling of terror, because i can feel it too. There are so many people here that can be your positives and that are survivors, as they are my hope and help me get through the bad days.

Stay positive because i reckon thats the best medicine :) Prayers to you and hubby.

Belinda