PSA of 20+ with Gleason of 9+

2ndBase
2ndBase Member Posts: 220
edited March 2014 in Prostate Cancer #1
Anyone who has personally dealt with these numbers please let me know how you are doing and let me know the details of your treatment and your opion of its effect, Thank you!

Comments

• nutt
    nutt Member Posts: 140
    Mark,
    More important, what has your doctor and you discussed?
    Has it migrated outside of the prostate?
    Your friends here would be glad to share their experiences with you and what procedure they selected and why and how they are doing BUT, you need to provide more information?

Hang in there and reply back.
    Joe
  • omarisan
    omarisan Member Posts: 27
    Mark is right. I had PSA of around 31 with positive biopsy in Feb 04 with a Gleason of 9. Both the bone scan and CT were negative. I elected to have surgery and, upon cutting me open, the doctor found evidence of spread to the lymph node. I started hormone therapy (Eligard) along with Casodex. Several weeks ago, I learned that my PSA went down to 0.4. I got another Eligard implant and will see what happens four months from now. So far, it seems to be working but, as you probably know, hormone therapy doesn't last for ever and the little guys eventually break thru again but it could take years. I might add that I have had no symptoms whatsoever. I am 70 years old. We seem pretty much in the same boat but everyone is different. If you wish, you may contact me at my e-mail: hwbib&earthlink.net. Good luck.
  • omarisan
    omarisan Member Posts: 27
    Mark is right. I had PSA of around 31 with positive biopsy in Feb 04 with a Gleason of 9. Both the bone scan and CT were negative. I elected to have surgery and, upon cutting me open, the doctor found evidence of spread to the lymph node. I started hormone therapy (Eligard) along with Casodex. Several weeks ago, I learned that my PSA went down to 0.4. I got another Eligard implant and will see what happens four months from now. So far, it seems to be working but, as you probably know, hormone therapy doesn't last for ever and the little guys eventually break thru again but it could take years. I might add that I have had no symptoms whatsoever. I am 70 years old. We seem pretty much in the same boat but everyone is different. If you wish, you may contact me at my e-mail: hwbib@earthlink.net. Good luck.
  • Benji48
    Benji48 Member Posts: 117
    omarisan said:

Mark is right. I had PSA of around 31 with positive biopsy in Feb 04 with a Gleason of 9. Both the bone scan and CT were negative. I elected to have surgery and, upon cutting me open, the doctor found evidence of spread to the lymph node. I started hormone therapy (Eligard) along with Casodex. Several weeks ago, I learned that my PSA went down to 0.4. I got another Eligard implant and will see what happens four months from now. So far, it seems to be working but, as you probably know, hormone therapy doesn't last for ever and the little guys eventually break thru again but it could take years. I might add that I have had no symptoms whatsoever. I am 70 years old. We seem pretty much in the same boat but everyone is different. If you wish, you may contact me at my e-mail: hwbib@earthlink.net. Good luck.

Hi,
    Couple of comments.First, my original PSA was 30 & Gleason prior surgery=6,post surgery=7, & like you no symptoms at all.
    Comment #1, gleason score is subjective (matters who is looking, BUTTT with a level of 9 (out of 10,max)not much ambiguity there!
    Comment#2, Omar you & you alone have the capability to delete your postings & I might suggest you do that to the duplicates to reduce the "clutter". For some reason, don't know why it happens but sometimes duplicates come on the posts. It's the little "trash can" at the bottom of the post.
    cheers everyone Benji
  • HollyGrant
    HollyGrant Member Posts: 2
    My husband has had metastic prostate cancer for about 8 years.

A PSA of 20+ sound like a tumor somewhere. I would ask for an MRI.

Casodex (the hormonal blocker) controls it for a long while for most people, but it has side effects over time. If prostate cancer spreads to the bones, sometimes it will not show up on a PSA test -- my husband had a large tumor on his spine and his PSA test was 0.01. Keep up with all your checkups and if you have any pain, ask for an MRI -- sometimes something is there but will not show up on a bone scan or other tests.