Susan G. Komen Breat Cancer 3-Day

la_3day
la_3day Member Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hello,
This October, I will be participating in a very special and powerful event in the fight against breast cancer in Los Angeles. It is called the Breast Cancer 3-Day and I'dlike to tell you about it.

I'll walk 60 miles over the course of three days with thousands of other women and men. The net proceeds will support breast cancer research, education, and services through the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation and the National Philanthropic Trust.

I have agreed to raise at least $2,000 in donations by October. I have set my personal goal at $4,000. So I need your help. Would you please consider making a one-time donation of $50 or maybe $25 a month for 10 months? Please take a look at the enclosed donation form and designate the amount that is right for you. Please keep in mind how far I am walking – and how hard I'll have to train. For anyone that donates $60 or more I will proudly wear their name or a person they are honoring on my shirt during the opening ceremony.

Please visit the website http://www.the3day.org and donate to me. My participant # is 1027524. It is really easy to donate on-line or you can print out a form and mail it in. Feel free to e-mail me with any questions la_3day@hotmail.com

Thank you in advance for your generosity!

Sincerely,
Ashley Farabi (Participant # 1027524)

Comments

• lindatn
    lindatn Member Posts: 229
    Can these request for money not be stopped, this is not what this board is about! Linda
  • hummingbyrd
    hummingbyrd Member Posts: 950 Member
    lindatn said:

Can these request for money not be stopped, this is not what this board is about! Linda

Totally agree Linda...and for my full opinion see the note 7-27-2004 FightBC.
    hummingbyrd
  • bunnie
    bunnie Member Posts: 233
    I agree with eveyone else yes we want a cure but this is not the place to ask for donations we are all on this site stuggleing for our own lives right know or just saying hey i made it too such and such mark.we have all been through big change in life.Iam all for helping research but like everyone eles is saying this is for posting messages so we can help each other through this difficult times.Bunnie
  • roxanne53
    roxanne53 Member Posts: 154
    bunnie said:

I agree with eveyone else yes we want a cure but this is not the place to ask for donations we are all on this site stuggleing for our own lives right know or just saying hey i made it too such and such mark.we have all been through big change in life.Iam all for helping research but like everyone eles is saying this is for posting messages so we can help each other through this difficult times.Bunnie

A BIG DITTO FROM ME!
    Solicitation for donations is still solicitation for money. This is not the place for it, no matter the noble cause.

Roxanne
  • seeknpeace
    seeknpeace Member Posts: 259
    AMEN AMEN AMEN. The person who posted the thread titled "hello" is asking for money, and not saying why. I think that the person who started this Komen link had a good intention, just did not think about the fact that a lot of us, if not most of us, have been financially decimated by cancer. Lost jobs, lives, homes, hanging on by the skin of our teeth...so, we are the WRONG place to ask for money. We are who you are raising money for, and to prevent others from being here. And, as for the person who started the "hello" thread....ya'll go there and tell them too. I did. I am not cool with this. I still have not found a job. I am living from week to week at the age of 52. Jan
  • jdubious
    jdubious Member Posts: 113

AMEN AMEN AMEN. The person who posted the thread titled "hello" is asking for money, and not saying why. I think that the person who started this Komen link had a good intention, just did not think about the fact that a lot of us, if not most of us, have been financially decimated by cancer. Lost jobs, lives, homes, hanging on by the skin of our teeth...so, we are the WRONG place to ask for money. We are who you are raising money for, and to prevent others from being here. And, as for the person who started the "hello" thread....ya'll go there and tell them too. I did. I am not cool with this. I still have not found a job. I am living from week to week at the age of 52. Jan

It's really a shame that people who want to participate in these types of events are required to raise so much money before they are allowed in! To me, the emphasis on fundraising devalues the participant's wonderful intention of doing something meaningful for a cause they believe in. (I wish I could walk 60 miles right now!) It's really too bad that the event organizers require a such a large minimum amount from people who want to give their time and energy for something positive. This isn't the appropriate place to solicite pledges, but it's good to know there are people who want to make a difference.
    jill
  • Christmasgirl
    Christmasgirl Member Posts: 13
    Hi Ashley,

I wish you the best of luck in achieving your personal goal. At this time I am unable to donate money since I am doing my own volunteering. I have not been on this web site for a long time because of the selfish response I have recieved from many people. I feel it is ok what you are doing and don't listen to what any of these replies say....listen to your heart. You are doing what is right. I just can't believe that there are cancer survivors out there that don't support cancer survivors. To top it off they put you down for advocating for the same disease that they had/have. Breast Cancer is a well politicized disease and if it wasn't most of us would not be here today. Thanks to organizations like Komen and the Young Survivors we have recieved many benefits.

My thoughts are with you and best of Luck.