Surgery on Tuesday..prayers needed...

sallyjoy
sallyjoy Member Posts: 102
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
HI all, hope all is well with everyone. Just posting cause i am getting a little nervous. Hubby's surgery for a met to the liver is on Tuesday morning at Johns Hopkins. Would appreciate any advice or encouragement, and of course prayers. Hubby's had a tough time rebuilding his red blood cells after blood donation for the liver surgery. Hope it's back up when we go down on Mon. They have him taking iron to see if that helps any. He's just had a heck of a time with the chemo side effects and uncontrolled Rhuematoid Arthritis. Got so he couldnt open his jaw or chew. DR finally gave him IV decadron which helped tremendously. I think they have a computer (at the hospital) for families to use so maybe I'll try to post while we're there to let you all know how the surgery goes. There was a bit of good news when we were down there last week. DR thinks he can take just a portion of his liver instead of half since the chemo shrunk it some... I try to tell myself this time next week he'll be cancer free. I pray to God it's true, because he doesnt want anymore chemo afterwords. He's not into veggie diets or what he would consider radical lifestyle/eating changes, but is willing to take supplements so I'v e been researching on some. Anyone here take red raspberry extract or heard of it? Even the nurse at Hopkins recommended it. I also read about ABM mushrooms, -anyone else? Any other supplements or advice? Well, I got to get going. lots to do. I'll keep you all posted and thanks so much for being an outlet for me. This has been one heck of a bad dream kinda year - where the heck did this year go anyway? :) Hugs and Blessings to all,
Sally Jo

Comments

• spongebob
    spongebob Member Posts: 2,565 Member
    Ahoy, SallyJoy -

(I'm a poet!)

I've heard of red raspberry extract, although I don't recall what it is purported to do (anti-oxidants?)

Keep your positive energy and thoughts flowing. As for your hubby's diet, his body will figure out what it wants/needs. He needs to learn to listen to it. It may take a while. I was sort of into celebrating the fact that I could eat for a year or so. I've recently gotten back into my diet workout routine and dropped nearly 30 lbs and gained about 10 lbs of muscle.

Regarding the arthritis, have you looked into Celebrex? I understand that the arthritis is a side effect of chemo (I got it pretty good in my hands), and Celebrex, altough specifically for arthritis, has shown in clinical tests to have an impact on colon cancer recurrence.

I have a friend who works in oncology at Johns Hopkins - her name is Michelle Steeley, we worked together at a cowboy dud shop in Laurel ("Carol's" if your familiar with the Bahlmore-DC area). If you happen to see her tell her "SpongeBob" said how-dee.

JH is a great hospital, one of the best in the WORLD. Rest assured your husband is in the very best of hands.

Keeping you and your husband in my thoughts prayers.

- SpongeBob
  • jrasnic
    jrasnic Member Posts: 14
    Hi Sally Jo,

I just wanted to tell you that I will be sending prayers and good energy your way. I am also having a pretty heinous year -- so I know what you're going through. My hubby is also battling this monster right now. People do really well with the liver resections. It's amazing how far they have come.

As far as nutrition, I have not heard of the rasberry extract. I have heard of the cancer curing mushrooms. I had a family friend who lived for ten years with ovarian cancer using the mushrooms, standard treatments, and other various treatments. If you know anything about ovarian cancer survival rates -- then you can appreciate the 10 years. My hubby also isn't a veggie guy. He's trying though. Juicing is one of the best and tastiest ways to get lots of nutrients into the body. If you could just get him to drink a glass a day. That's what I'm going to shoot for with my guy.

My heart and prayers are with you (and all of us). Best of luck!

J. Rasnic
  • kangatoo
    kangatoo Member Posts: 2,105 Member
    jrasnic said:

Hi Sally Jo,

I just wanted to tell you that I will be sending prayers and good energy your way. I am also having a pretty heinous year -- so I know what you're going through. My hubby is also battling this monster right now. People do really well with the liver resections. It's amazing how far they have come.

As far as nutrition, I have not heard of the rasberry extract. I have heard of the cancer curing mushrooms. I had a family friend who lived for ten years with ovarian cancer using the mushrooms, standard treatments, and other various treatments. If you know anything about ovarian cancer survival rates -- then you can appreciate the 10 years. My hubby also isn't a veggie guy. He's trying though. Juicing is one of the best and tastiest ways to get lots of nutrients into the body. If you could just get him to drink a glass a day. That's what I'm going to shoot for with my guy.

My heart and prayers are with you (and all of us). Best of luck!

J. Rasnic

Sally Jo--do please give our very best to your hubby--we are sending you our prayers and in typical kanga form am sending him a "rainbow"--'cos all good things are at the end of them. I will be thinking of you as I too will be in hospital on the same day. Doctors luv sticking things in me--lol
    B safe, b well and above all, b positive Sally Jo---luv n huggs from Kanga n Jen in OZ.
  • Sallyjo, our prayers are coming your way for a successful surgery and a speedy recovery. Give our best to your hubby and also lots of hugs and good vibes for are you too!

Don't know about the Raspberry Extract and I haven't heard anything about the mushrooms and as seems to be the case with many others on this board, my Bert isn't a vegetable/fruit/juicing kind of guy either. Three squares a day, a helping of each, is his way of eating right. But I have to fess up, he has always enjoyed vegetables and lots of fruit along with the not so healthy stuff either. He doesn't drink and he doesn't smoke...so that's good. I continue working on the rest and he does take supplements.

Hugs,
    Monika and Bert
  • mikew42
    mikew42 Member Posts: 114 Member
    Sallyjoy,
    We are praying that first your hubby can have the operation and secondly that it goes well.
    I find out tomorrow if my liver met is dead or alive. If alive, I will probably have laproscopic surgery to remove it next month.

Keep in touch. Mike
  • tkd3g
    tkd3g Member Posts: 767
    You and your husband are in my thoughts and prayers. Keep up the positive thinking and don't give up. We'll be thinking of you Tuesday.

All my love,

Barb
  • StacyGleaso
    StacyGleaso Member Posts: 1,233 Member
    Hi Sally Jo...

Your hubby will be in my thoughts (no, SpongeBob, not THAT way!) over the next few days, and for many more to come. Be sure to keep yourself healthy, as not to end up with issues of your own. You have chosen one of the BEST hospitals for this to take place, and don't be surprised if the surgery lasts long...the longer the better, really, since short surgeries usually mean too much to tackle in one operation.

The power of prayer and positive thinking will work in your favor, I'm sure of it.

Best of everything,

Stacy
  • scouty
    scouty Member Posts: 1,965 Member
    Sally Jo,

You and hubby are still in my thoughts. You were one of the first folks I "talked" to on this board just a few months ago. I think about you both often and will continue to do so until we get to meet and celebrate being cancer free with our other friends here!!!!

Lisa P.
  • carmen07
    carmen07 Member Posts: 120 Member
    Hi Sally,
    My hubby and I pray for a succesful surgery and speedy recovery. You are at one of the best hospitals to have this surgery and in good hands.
    Keep us posted. Prays and love to you both.
  • belinda25
    belinda25 Member Posts: 44
    Hi Sally Jo,

Hope all goes well for hubby, I'll be thinking of you both and praying for a quick recovery and good news to follow!

Stay Positive
    Belinda
  • ANNAE
    ANNAE Member Posts: 11
    Wishing you the best.

Anna
  • grandma047
    grandma047 Member Posts: 381
    Sally Joy- I wish your husband good luck in his surgeryand peace to you. You will be in my prayers.

Love and prayer, Judy(grandma047)
  • allsmiles
    allsmiles Member Posts: 25
    Sally Jo,

I will be praying for you and hubby as he undergoes the surgery and you undergo the sitting and waiting. I know it's so hard and it doesn't get any easier with each surgery. Hopefully this will be your last.

As far as supplements my sweeties has been doing several: Beta Glucan (cancer killer), Curcummin (for keeping it from spreading), Sylamarin (sp?) and also Alpha Lipoic Acid (great liver supporter). If you are interested in getting these types of supplements be careful of your source. I recommend College Health Stores in Texas. Just go a google search and you'll find it. My husband has been on several supplements for several months and he has a huge tumor in the pelvis and it has not spread...Thank God!
    Take Care
    Grace