can't get into the chat room

tkd3g
tkd3g Member Posts: 767
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
I'm new,so does anyone have a trick to getting into the chat room. I am logged into this site, but everytime I click on any of the chat room links, I get an error message and it won't let me in. I e-mailed the webmaster, but haven't heard back.

Thanks for your help.

Barb

Comments

• MUGGINS
    MUGGINS Member Posts: 35
    BARB,
    I CAN'T GET IN EITHER. I THINK
    FOR ME TO GET IN I HAVE TO DISABLE MY
    FIREWALL WHICH I DON'T WANT TO DO.
    GOOD LUCK.
    MUGGINS
  • StacyGleaso
    StacyGleaso Member Posts: 1,233 Member
    Hi All!

I've printed this awhile ago, but since there are a lot of "newbies," an encore presentation is in order...

How to Chat...

First of all, click on one of the chat rooms. There are two (kinda a recent development) in order to accommodate the masses that usually opt to chat. However, you will notice that one room always seems to be empty, as it's impossible to chat alone!

After clicking on one of the rooms, a separate window will open. A large gray box will appear. This is the part that takes the longest. Waiting up to 3 minutes is not uncommon.

Then, once you are "entered" into the room, your name will flash on the screen, then you will see the names of everyone in the chat room. Not sure why, but you will not see your own name on the list.

Below the large box is a small line where you type your dialogue. Usually, the group will acknowledge you with a resounding "hi" of some sort.

After typing what you want to, hit enter on your keyboard, and it will appear in the dialogue window.

Some things to keep in mind...

(1) Keep the vulgarity out of your dialogue.

(2) If you want to talk to one person in particular, you can engage in "private chat." Double click on the person you want to speak with, and a smaller dialogue box will appear that only you two can see and converse in. When done in private chat, known as PC, "x" out of that smaller box, and you will be reunited with the larger group. While in PC, you can still see the other dialogue going on in the larger group.

(3) When deciding to leave the chat, it's pretty common to give a "good-bye" of some sort. Practically everyone will bid you farewell, and you're out of there when you "x" out in the top right corner.

Hope I helped!

Stacy
  • OCBFAN
    OCBFAN Member Posts: 5
    Let me know when you finally figure it out. I get the same error and haven't found a way around it. Thanks
  • sallyjoy
    sallyjoy Member Posts: 102
    I've had the same problem...been trying to get into chats since feb/mar. Webmaster is still trying to figure it out. Nothing has worked so far. I've tried using Internet explorer and Netscape navigator. Don't have any firewalls...tried on computer at work ... get same error messages. ie: file not found...type message and press send with no where to type and no text boxes etc... Let me know if you fihure it out as i would really like to part. in chat rooms also!
    Sally jo