just curious

tkd3g
tkd3g Member Posts: 767
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
I have noticed a lot of people commenting on their bottom hurting after surgery for rectal cancer. I am assuming that is where the surgical site was? Is it uncommon for my surgery to have been done thru the abdomen? I didn't have any rectal pain after surgery.

Just curious.

Barb

Comments

• pjdavis
    pjdavis Member Posts: 2
    I had surgery through the abdomen also.I had 90% of my colon removed and my small intestines were rerouted as I call it to form my new colon.I am stage 4 colonrectal cancer with tumors now in my liver. Good luck on your recovery.I had no rectal pain at all.
  • StacyGleaso
    StacyGleaso Member Posts: 1,233 Member
    Hi Barb,

Mine was also done through the abdomen, too. Nice scar from between the bottom of my ribs, to about 3 inches below my belly button. Gotta love them battle wounds!

I didn't have any rectal pain afterwards either.

Stacy
  • taraHK
    taraHK Member Posts: 1,952 Member
    Hi Barb,
    I had an operation called abdominoperineal resection (APR). There are two incision sites: the abdomen (in my case, belly-button to pubis) and perineum. Like many others who had this operation, I found the abdominal incision healed relatively quickly/smoothly (ok ok - not sneezing or laughing that first week or two! or trying to turn over in bed), but the "butt" was uncomfortable for much longer and I know can be more difficult to heal. I'm not sure why some people would have one operation and one another: in my case, the tumour was very low, so that may be why I had the APR
    TAra
  • tkd3g
    tkd3g Member Posts: 767

Hi Barb,

Mine was also done through the abdomen, too. Nice scar from between the bottom of my ribs, to about 3 inches below my belly button. Gotta love them battle wounds!

I didn't have any rectal pain afterwards either.

Stacy

I hear you on the battle scars. I call myself Frankenbelly now. Mine is about 11.5 inches long! Starts about an inch above my belly button and stops about an inch before the vaginal opening.

I actually thought it odd to go thru the abdomen, but then what the heck do I know about surgery? :)

Have a great day.

Barb
  • Moesimo
    Moesimo Member Posts: 1,072 Member
    I only had an abdominal incision also. But I often have pain from my trips to the bathroom. I call it my butt burn. It has been a year since my surgery, but because my anastamosis is so low, I have problems with my BM's. When I have to go it is usu. right away and I have multiple BM's sometimes before I am done. The alternative would be a permanent colostomy. I think that is the pain that was referred to. I am cancer free now, so when I have my butt burn I think of that and it keeps me going.
  • grandma047
    grandma047 Member Posts: 381
    Hi, I had an adominperineal resection and a permanent colostomy, so stomach surgery plus butt surgery. I think that is when both are done. My butt hurts much worse than my stomach. It is hard to sit down and I walk funny, I think. I hope it gets better soon because it is getting very tiring. Glad you just had the stomach. Hurry and get well soon. Glad you didn't have this rectal pain. If I can answer any other questions, just ask.
    Love and prayers, Judy H.(grandma047)