Stage IV Tests Results after 3 months

scouty
scouty Member Posts: 1,965 Member
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Hi all,

I haven't posted much lately. I have logged on, but quite honestly I was so worried about my testing, I couldn't handle it some days. A little history. I was dxed February 26th with a large tumor very low in my rectal area. More testing showed it had spread to my liver (2 measurable tumors and dozens of microscopic ones) and 1 spot on my lung my onc thought could be a tumor. I started Oxil, Leu, 5FU (folfox 6) and Avastin April 6th after having a port inserted.

After a month on chemo and having a simple cold knock me on my butt, I ordered a months supply of IMMUNOPOWER EZ (a combination of many vitamins, minerals, and herbs promoted by Dr. Patrick Quillin, the Nutritional Director of the Cancer Centers of America. I will always be appreciative of Emily (currently, the beach bum) and her sharing of his book, "Beating Cancer with Nutrition" when I posted here the very first time. Immonopower EZ is pricey, but I decided my health was worth it. I am also taking 4 other supplements. And, yes all were approved by my onc and the head pharmacist. I have been very fortunate to be tolerating the chemo about as well as one can. I live by myself with my boxer pup, Scout, and 2 cats, but have loads of support friends and family. I am a "glass is half full" kind of person, but am also pretty stubborn too. Maintaining as normal a life as I can is very important to me, and forcing myself to eat and get off my butt is a struggle sometimes, but it always helps the "bad" side effects.

Now for the good results of my testing. My CEA count has dropped from 35 to 10, my WBC is actually higher now, then it was when I started chemo. My RBC is also going up, but not as drastically as the WBC has. The spot on my lung had about a 25% shrinkage and appears to be a tumor. The 2 tumors in my liver also had shrunk, 30 and 40%. What my onc thought were microscopic tumors had not changed either way and he now thinks they are simply spots that have probably been there since I was born. The large tumor in the rectal area did not have much change and it is behaving itself. All of my abdominal lymph nodes are normal in size leading my onc to believe the cancer spread when my colon perforated or during the emergency surgery last fall.

The gameplan is to continue the chemo regime once every 3 weeks instead of every 2 until September 10th, when we test again. At that time, he hopes to confirm additional tumor shrinkage as well as that the tiny spots on the liver are just that. Then surgical options come into play.

I was very pleased and relieved. The last 2 weeks I have tried to stay busy with my canning and gardening (two of my passions, and the onc nurses are addicted to my homemade salsa) and watch Lance kick butt. I went out of town this past weekend and forgot my supplements and much to my surprise, fatigue almost overpowered me when I returned home. After 2 days of being more tired then I have ever felt, I remembered my pills. I ate a big breakfast yesterday and then took all 12 pills. Within 3 hours, my brain showed back up and then my energy level improved. Maybe, it was psychological, but I will not miss my pills again. I woke up today feeling much more rested.

I have learned so much on this site, that I felt it was important to share my experiences with those of you that share yours with me. I know I still have a hell of a fight on my plate, but with your support and that of my family and friends I intend on continuing to kick the unwelcome "****" cells out of my bod!!!!

Hugs and kisses to you all!!!!!
Lisa P.

Comments

• Hi Lisa and thank you for sharing. It's so good to have good news, especially for the ones that are just trying to cope from day to day. Keep sharing. Your input is valued and needed and by the way, congrats on your great results. Keep it up and by gollie, you'll beat the **** yet!

Hugs,
    Monika & Bert
  • StacyGleaso
    StacyGleaso Member Posts: 1,233 Member
    Hi Lisa!

Glad to hear you're doing so well. I just LOVE it when things go in a positive direction...it's just plan good for EVERYONE to hear!

Keep up the progress, and I agree LANCE ROCKS!

Stacy
  • kerry
    kerry Member Posts: 1,313 Member
    Lisa,

So good to hear you are handling treatment as well as you are. Hang in there, you sound like a good fighter and we are all here for you. Keep up the good work and we'll be anxious to hear about the next test results.

Kerry
  • jana11
    jana11 Member Posts: 705
    your note is wonderful.. thanks for sharing the advice/story of the book - I just might try it out because my chemo tires me out so much for about a week.

Keep up the positive attitude. It really shines through in your note. I wish you more positive vibes and tumor shrinkage.

Thanks for sharing your news... we can all use more of it!

jana
  • taunya
    taunya Member Posts: 390 Member
    Hi Scouty,

I love to hear good news. It makes my day! I am really pleased that things are going so well for you. I think diet and nutrition are huge factors when you are battling any kind of cancer. Kudos to you for taking such good care of yourself. Give the pets a squeeze for me.
    Hugs,
    Taunya