PSA Charting?

Mozzmo
Mozzmo Member Posts: 30
edited March 2014 in Prostate Cancer #1
My father's psa continues to increase as he has apparently become hormone refractory. Last November his PSA was 2.4 and now it is over 14. It has been steadily increasing and I am concerned at what point will it really shoot up? I am interested in finding out if there are any websites or publications that provide information on escalating PSA's or finding some charts that address psa level and probably severity of cancer spread. Does anyone have any info or referrals on this that I can read or look up? I would appreciate it.

Good Wishes To All,
David

Comments

• nutt
    nutt Member Posts: 140
    David,
    Has you dad seen a doctor and if so what is he saying/doing about it?

Normally, an escalating psa is cause to believe there is something working in the prostate that is not normal? You do not mention anything about your fathers health or medical status?

If, he has cancer and you are looking for some chart that responds to cancer stages or progression ..... psa scores may not be able to take into consideration the progression of any cancer that may not be contained within the prostate.
    Don't know if any of this helped as I am in the dark re: many aspects of your dad situtation?

Give more feedback and maybe some others of our group can add?
    Joe
  • Mozzmo
    nutt said:

David,
    Has you dad seen a doctor and if so what is he saying/doing about it?

Normally, an escalating psa is cause to believe there is something working in the prostate that is not normal? You do not mention anything about your fathers health or medical status?

If, he has cancer and you are looking for some chart that responds to cancer stages or progression ..... psa scores may not be able to take into consideration the progression of any cancer that may not be contained within the prostate.
    Don't know if any of this helped as I am in the dark re: many aspects of your dad situtation?

Give more feedback and maybe some others of our group can add?
    Joe

Joe,

I don't think you carefully read my posting and it caused you to feel in the dark. In my original posting, I say that my Dad is HORMONE REFRACTORY. Given this is the Prostate Cancer discussion board, he obviously has prostate cancer. In other words (in case you don't understand) he's completed all sorts of hormone regimens that no longer are efficacious at this point and his remaining option is chemo which he is against unless he gets in extreme pain. Getting back to my question....I am interested in hearing from anyone who knows of a website or book that gives information or charts on the nature of escalating PSA's and what symptoms to expect at various levels.

Peace and Good Health to all,
    David
  • 2ndBase
    2ndBase Member Posts: 220
    Mozzmo said:

Joe,

I don't think you carefully read my posting and it caused you to feel in the dark. In my original posting, I say that my Dad is HORMONE REFRACTORY. Given this is the Prostate Cancer discussion board, he obviously has prostate cancer. In other words (in case you don't understand) he's completed all sorts of hormone regimens that no longer are efficacious at this point and his remaining option is chemo which he is against unless he gets in extreme pain. Getting back to my question....I am interested in hearing from anyone who knows of a website or book that gives information or charts on the nature of escalating PSA's and what symptoms to expect at various levels.

Peace and Good Health to all,
    David

Mozzmo, my psa has tripled in the last six months after having hormone treatment and my urologist is quite concerned. I am waiting until my next psa test in Nov. to decide what to do. My cancer was to too far along to get surgery and I got the max radiation allowed plus Lupron. I have no insurance so I'm not sure what I will do later this year. I doubt there is much info on the relationship between rising psa and symptoms as each person has different outcomes, but my urologist told me that my situation, in whcih my psa has tripled in the last six months is a sure sign that the cancer ahs obviosly spread and that he wants me to get more hormone therapy and chemo as soon as next winter. I don't plan to do either as I have no insurance nor desire to suffer the side effects which I saw my wife go through before breast cancer took her two years ago. The treatments may give some pain relief but I just take the drugs and rest as much as I can, and I'm only 53 years old. Best of luck to your father, and bless you for your sincere concern.
  • Mozzmo
    2ndBase said:

Mozzmo, my psa has tripled in the last six months after having hormone treatment and my urologist is quite concerned. I am waiting until my next psa test in Nov. to decide what to do. My cancer was to too far along to get surgery and I got the max radiation allowed plus Lupron. I have no insurance so I'm not sure what I will do later this year. I doubt there is much info on the relationship between rising psa and symptoms as each person has different outcomes, but my urologist told me that my situation, in whcih my psa has tripled in the last six months is a sure sign that the cancer ahs obviosly spread and that he wants me to get more hormone therapy and chemo as soon as next winter. I don't plan to do either as I have no insurance nor desire to suffer the side effects which I saw my wife go through before breast cancer took her two years ago. The treatments may give some pain relief but I just take the drugs and rest as much as I can, and I'm only 53 years old. Best of luck to your father, and bless you for your sincere concern.

Mark,

I am very sorry to hear of your situation. It makes me very anger when I hear of people in your situation and NOT having insurance. Something is very wrong with our country when it comes to that!! I truly hope things work out for the best for you. I have a strong faith and do believe in miracles.

I know you are probably right that PSA levels and symptoms probably do vary across men. I was just hoping to find some examples of what USUALLY or MAY happen as his PSA reaches 20.....50....and above. PSA is not everything but it does reflect tumor volumn from what I have been told.

Be well and good wishes,
    David
  • kaiepooh
    kaiepooh Member Posts: 52
    Hi David,

I don't know if this will help but dr don't only go on psa. someone could have a high one and be fine and one with a low one and be very bad off.
    my husband had a low one and in a lot of pain until he had chemo which he is still getting. He is doing very well with no major side effects. only fatigue 2 days after treatment. he actually has improved very well and has a great lease on life. you coud check out www.mskcc.org for info. that is the web page for memorial sloan kettering cancer center in NYC. Hang in there and keep searching till you find the answer you need. My prays are with you.

karen
  • Benji48
    Benji48 Member Posts: 117
    Hi David,
    This isn't what you're looking for, but here's a web site that provides some info on the treatment after refractory. Scroll down to "Management--"
    :http://alumni.nd.edu/~class56/article.htm
    Other than that the only info I can provide is an 81 year old in our support group has a psa >60 and is doing just fine, no pain, no symptoms!He had radiation therapy approx 14 yrs ago & is now in recurrence but hasn't had any post therapies.
    Best of luck, our prayers are with you & your dad.
    Benji
  • Mozzmo
    Benji48 said:

Hi David,
    This isn't what you're looking for, but here's a web site that provides some info on the treatment after refractory. Scroll down to "Management--"
    :http://alumni.nd.edu/~class56/article.htm
    Other than that the only info I can provide is an 81 year old in our support group has a psa >60 and is doing just fine, no pain, no symptoms!He had radiation therapy approx 14 yrs ago & is now in recurrence but hasn't had any post therapies.
    Best of luck, our prayers are with you & your dad.
    Benji

Thanks Karen and Benji for the info. I am baffled at why there is not more available information about PSA levels and other biological markers of cancer spread. I can't believe that with the thousands and thousands of men who are yearly treated with Prostate Cancer.....that there are no charts/graphs of biological markers and PSA as it relates to cancer spread. In particular such charts/graphs as they relate to symptoms would be useful in educating patients and families about timelines and what to expect under the USUAL or TYPICAL progression of cancer. Of course I know every person has a unique path with cancer......even so "typical" scenarios would help. I am a bit frustrated.....of course that's a chronic thing I grapple with since I feel so helpless in helping my dad. Thanks again.

Peace & Health,
    David
  • kaiepooh
    Mozzmo said:

Thanks Karen and Benji for the info. I am baffled at why there is not more available information about PSA levels and other biological markers of cancer spread. I can't believe that with the thousands and thousands of men who are yearly treated with Prostate Cancer.....that there are no charts/graphs of biological markers and PSA as it relates to cancer spread. In particular such charts/graphs as they relate to symptoms would be useful in educating patients and families about timelines and what to expect under the USUAL or TYPICAL progression of cancer. Of course I know every person has a unique path with cancer......even so "typical" scenarios would help. I am a bit frustrated.....of course that's a chronic thing I grapple with since I feel so helpless in helping my dad. Thanks again.

Peace & Health,
    David

David,

Hang in there. i spoke with my husbands dr and she said that it varies so much from pt to pt that it would be ineffective to graph it. psa is just a tool to help dr to see if there is something to check further. a person could have a high psa and no cancer as well as a person with a low and have cancer. so try not stress and see if there are other symptoms to help guid you with his progress. wev'e come so far but, we still have a long way to go. prayers and hugs to you all.

Karen
  • Mozzmo
    kaiepooh said:

David,

Hang in there. i spoke with my husbands dr and she said that it varies so much from pt to pt that it would be ineffective to graph it. psa is just a tool to help dr to see if there is something to check further. a person could have a high psa and no cancer as well as a person with a low and have cancer. so try not stress and see if there are other symptoms to help guid you with his progress. wev'e come so far but, we still have a long way to go. prayers and hugs to you all.

Karen

Karen,

Thanks for the response. How is your husband doing. My dad's doc's only have him on Zometa and Lupron. The cancer is progressing and only have chemo as an option. My dad doesn't have much pain at this point. He seems to be withdrawing though emotionally. Its so hard to see yet I know it is only naturally. My biggest concern is protracted pain. Hope you and your little one are coping well.

Peace and good health to all.

David
  • kaiepooh
    Mozzmo said:

Karen,

Thanks for the response. How is your husband doing. My dad's doc's only have him on Zometa and Lupron. The cancer is progressing and only have chemo as an option. My dad doesn't have much pain at this point. He seems to be withdrawing though emotionally. Its so hard to see yet I know it is only naturally. My biggest concern is protracted pain. Hope you and your little one are coping well.

Peace and good health to all.

David

David,

Thank yopu for your concern. My husband is doing well on chemo and is getting around quiet well. his off week is when he is in most discomfort. but like i said he has much improvement and little side effects. Please keep chemo in mind for your dad. i hope it will do for him as it has done for my husband. My little one is doing fine and says his prayers and love is making his daddy better which it helps alot too. How is your daughter doing. I hope she is handling it well. be strong for her as well as your dad. just keep doing what you are doing and one day at a time. your dad is blessed for not having any pain. that in it's self is a blessing. be well and our prayers are wit you and your family.
    please keep us up to date on your dad. i'm here to talk if you need to also in the chat room from time to time.

Karen
  • Mozzmo
    kaiepooh said:

David,

Thank yopu for your concern. My husband is doing well on chemo and is getting around quiet well. his off week is when he is in most discomfort. but like i said he has much improvement and little side effects. Please keep chemo in mind for your dad. i hope it will do for him as it has done for my husband. My little one is doing fine and says his prayers and love is making his daddy better which it helps alot too. How is your daughter doing. I hope she is handling it well. be strong for her as well as your dad. just keep doing what you are doing and one day at a time. your dad is blessed for not having any pain. that in it's self is a blessing. be well and our prayers are wit you and your family.
    please keep us up to date on your dad. i'm here to talk if you need to also in the chat room from time to time.

Karen

Karen,

Thanks for the update. I am glad your husband is doing okay and not in pain. If I recall he's pretty young.....only in his 50's right?

My dad is very much against chemo. He's 73....has a history of high blood pressure and heart arrythmias that have required "ablation" (burning of heart tissue) to stop the irregular beating. He's also approaching 300 lbs. So, I believe the concern about chemo is on several levels.....his age, how it might affect his heart, and how much fatigue given he's already at a low activity level. I have heard that some people, especially the elderly, who take chemo go into congestive heart failure.

Through all of this I have just decided to support my dad and his choices even if they are different than what mine would be.

My daughter is doing great. Thanks for asking. She just turned 3 ....and well...she's a handful but the best thing I ever did. She's a wonderful reminder of the circle of life.

Keep in touch. I am here for you as well.

Peace,
    David
  • kaiepooh
    Mozzmo said:

Karen,

Thanks for the update. I am glad your husband is doing okay and not in pain. If I recall he's pretty young.....only in his 50's right?

My dad is very much against chemo. He's 73....has a history of high blood pressure and heart arrythmias that have required "ablation" (burning of heart tissue) to stop the irregular beating. He's also approaching 300 lbs. So, I believe the concern about chemo is on several levels.....his age, how it might affect his heart, and how much fatigue given he's already at a low activity level. I have heard that some people, especially the elderly, who take chemo go into congestive heart failure.

Through all of this I have just decided to support my dad and his choices even if they are different than what mine would be.

My daughter is doing great. Thanks for asking. She just turned 3 ....and well...she's a handful but the best thing I ever did. She's a wonderful reminder of the circle of life.

Keep in touch. I am here for you as well.

Peace,
    David

David,

You are doing the right thing by supporting your dads decesion. thats what he needs right now more than anything is someone on his side. And yes my husband just turned 59 and was 50 at first diagnois. Children are a wonderful thing to keep you young at heart and keep life going. It's nice to have someone to talk to that understands. thanks. keep in touch and may god be with you and your family.

Karen