Radiation Therapy

MelStar
MelStar Member Posts: 31
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Hi folks. It seems like it's been a year since I've been on here reading and catching up, but in actuality it was only about a week!

Some stuff happened. I started having seizures on May 27. That led up to eventual hospitalization after a CT scan showed a brain tumor and the doctor on-call put me on Dilantin and Dexamethasone for the seizures. He was going to let me go home after the 24 hours, however, my regular oncologist made me stay. I swear, I have had every test known: CT of the chest, abdomen and pelvis, MRI of the brain, colonoscopy (my third in 15 months), a bone scan, x-rays of the right arm, and a pelvic sonogram! Not only did the CT and MRI pick up the brain activity, the x-rays picked up some more bone involvement in my right arm! So after a lousy 7 month remission, here I go again.

However, this is my first time with radiation therapy, and although I'm feeling very upbeat and optimistic, I'm also a smidge nervous. Does anyone have any advice or anything they can share with me?

I have my first treatment Monday, June 7 at 1:30 p.m. Wish me luck!

Melody

Comments

• ipetrou
    ipetrou Member Posts: 33
    sorry to hear about this. my husband had radiation in the lower pelvic area. he had IMRT (intensity modulated radiation therapy) -- see if you can have this as it minimizes damage to areas that don't need to be treated. my husband tolerated treatments well -- seemed like main side effect was exhaustion. all the best to you tomorrow and always.
  • taraHK
    taraHK Member Posts: 1,952 Member
    Hi Melody,
    I am sorry to hear of your recent news, but you seem to be heading into this next stage of treatment valiantly and with grace.
    I had 6 weeks of radition for low rectal cancer. My field was low, of course. The symptoms were OK - mild fatigue and diarrhea. I also ended up with very sore skin -- the doctors and nurses had lots of good advice for how to manage this. It wasn't fun ha ha but it did pass...and only seems a distant blur now. I wish you all the best.
    Tara
  • kangatoo
    kangatoo Member Posts: 2,105 Member
    taraHK said:

Hi Melody,
    I am sorry to hear of your recent news, but you seem to be heading into this next stage of treatment valiantly and with grace.
    I had 6 weeks of radition for low rectal cancer. My field was low, of course. The symptoms were OK - mild fatigue and diarrhea. I also ended up with very sore skin -- the doctors and nurses had lots of good advice for how to manage this. It wasn't fun ha ha but it did pass...and only seems a distant blur now. I wish you all the best.
    Tara

Gee, Melody--sorry to hear--hang in there--'ol kanga in OZ is thinkin of yah.
    There's a "rainbow" comin your way from Jen and me.
    luv and all the best.
  • Kanort
    Kanort Member Posts: 1,272 Member
    Hi Melody,

I am sorry to hear about your recent situation, but your positive attitude will go a long way in helping your body heal. I will keep you in my prayers and will be thinking positive thoughts for you.

Hugs,

Kay