Info on Calcium Deposits

RichardB
RichardB Member Posts: 5
edited March 2014 in Prostate Cancer #1
Just had an ultrasound with biopsy based on increasing PSA, asymetrical DRE, urinary symptoms. The doctor commented that I have alot of calcium deposits in my prostate. I can't seem to find much info on the dangers, causes of calcium deposits in the prostate. Is this a cancer risk? Where can I find more information?

Comments

• Benji48
    Benji48 Member Posts: 117
    Rich,
    I tried sending this B4 but it got lost.Here's a link about the deposits:
    http://www.intelihealth.com/IH/ihtIH/WSIHW000/8294/8122/381540.html
    For more info go to Google & plug in prostate calcium deposits.
    Good luck, Benji
  • RichardB
    Benji48 said:

Rich,
    I tried sending this B4 but it got lost.Here's a link about the deposits:
    http://www.intelihealth.com/IH/ihtIH/WSIHW000/8294/8122/381540.html
    For more info go to Google & plug in prostate calcium deposits.
    Good luck, Benji

Benji,
    Thanks for the link, it was very helpful. Atleast I now know it is neither good nor bad.
    Thanks,
    Richard
  • bicdawg
    bicdawg Member Posts: 9
    Hi Richard, I'm 52 year old. I had Calcium on my prostate for several years. I had several biopsies and PSA test. After 2 years I was finely diagnosed with Prostate Cancer. My PSA was 6.5 and I had cancer in both lobes. March 17, 2004 I had my prostate removed. The Calcium caused a little problem with the removable of the prostate. The Cancer was confined to the prostate and my lymp-nodes were clean. I have no problems with incontinence from day one. Presently, I'm taking injections for erectal dysfuction with no side effects. Execpt for 2 hour erections. Hopefully, my erections will return to normal within one to 2 years. I already have some firmness naturally. July 13th I will return to my doctor for my first PSA post op. I'm doing fine and returned to work partime after 4 weeks and full time within 5 weeks. The secret is finding a good surgeon with lots of experience with prostate surgery. Good luck and do your home work.
  • RichardB
    bicdawg said:

Hi Richard, I'm 52 year old. I had Calcium on my prostate for several years. I had several biopsies and PSA test. After 2 years I was finely diagnosed with Prostate Cancer. My PSA was 6.5 and I had cancer in both lobes. March 17, 2004 I had my prostate removed. The Calcium caused a little problem with the removable of the prostate. The Cancer was confined to the prostate and my lymp-nodes were clean. I have no problems with incontinence from day one. Presently, I'm taking injections for erectal dysfuction with no side effects. Execpt for 2 hour erections. Hopefully, my erections will return to normal within one to 2 years. I already have some firmness naturally. July 13th I will return to my doctor for my first PSA post op. I'm doing fine and returned to work partime after 4 weeks and full time within 5 weeks. The secret is finding a good surgeon with lots of experience with prostate surgery. Good luck and do your home work.

Thanks for the info. I'm glad that you've had some good success. This all seems pretty recent for you. Why several biopsies and why didn't you consider yourself free and clear after the first one? Also in your case did the calcium deposits make you more likely to have PCa or did it have any other impact besides removal?

In my case I'm 51 with PSA of 1.4 but rising with family history, asymetrical DRE, urinary symptoms. My doctor said the calium is neither good nor bad in relation to PCa and the links below seems to agree. My doctor seem pretty optomistic after the biopsy. My biopsy results are due Jun 14 but I also know the biopsy's only miss about 15% of the time. I was thinking if the biopsy came back negative I was pretty much good to go for some time and only had BHP. Routine would then be yearly PSA & DRE checks just to make sure. After reading your story I'm alittle more concerned.
  • bicdawg
    bicdawg Member Posts: 9
    RichardB said:

Thanks for the info. I'm glad that you've had some good success. This all seems pretty recent for you. Why several biopsies and why didn't you consider yourself free and clear after the first one? Also in your case did the calcium deposits make you more likely to have PCa or did it have any other impact besides removal?

In my case I'm 51 with PSA of 1.4 but rising with family history, asymetrical DRE, urinary symptoms. My doctor said the calium is neither good nor bad in relation to PCa and the links below seems to agree. My doctor seem pretty optomistic after the biopsy. My biopsy results are due Jun 14 but I also know the biopsy's only miss about 15% of the time. I was thinking if the biopsy came back negative I was pretty much good to go for some time and only had BHP. Routine would then be yearly PSA & DRE checks just to make sure. After reading your story I'm alittle more concerned.

Hi Richard, I did not mean to alarm you. I'm just saying you need to stay on top of this thing. The earlier you catch this thing the better are you chances of a full recovery. I'll just start at the beginning. I went in for my annual physical. The DRE was OK but the PSA was 4.4 so I went to my urologist. I did an altrosound which showed some calcium deposits on my left side of my prostate. Doctor said it was infections but, not to worry. He put me on antibiotics and my PSA went down to a 3. I went back 3 months later and my PSA went back up to a 4.3. So I had a 5 needle biopsy which came back negative and we played the PSA game for a while. Then I had a six needle biopsy and another biopsy while I was having hernia surgery and they were negative. The only symptoms I was haveing was frequent urination, my bladder was not voiding completely because my prostate was swollen. After fooling around for almost 2 years my PSA went up to 5.6 I was put on antibiotics again and my PSA went up to a 6.5. I then had a 10 neddle biopsy, thats when they discovered my cancer. I had a nerve spairing Radical Prostacotomy. These are the nerves that allow you to have an erection. The doctor said it would be difficult to seperate the nerves from the prostate because of the Calcium. Do not let yourself be fooled into a false sense of security because your test come back negative. I took a 10 month break from my Doctor because I was tired of all the testing. It's very stressfull. I kept hoping it was BHP I went back because something inside told me to get checked again. Your PSA is not high. But go back about every 3 months and get a PSA for about a year. You'll be OK. You doing better than I, when this all started to happen to me. I remarried to a nurse and she helped me with getting educated about my illness and finding a good Doctor. Good Luck with your byopsi results. I know its a pain in the butt (smile)
  • RichardB
    bicdawg said:

Hi Richard, I did not mean to alarm you. I'm just saying you need to stay on top of this thing. The earlier you catch this thing the better are you chances of a full recovery. I'll just start at the beginning. I went in for my annual physical. The DRE was OK but the PSA was 4.4 so I went to my urologist. I did an altrosound which showed some calcium deposits on my left side of my prostate. Doctor said it was infections but, not to worry. He put me on antibiotics and my PSA went down to a 3. I went back 3 months later and my PSA went back up to a 4.3. So I had a 5 needle biopsy which came back negative and we played the PSA game for a while. Then I had a six needle biopsy and another biopsy while I was having hernia surgery and they were negative. The only symptoms I was haveing was frequent urination, my bladder was not voiding completely because my prostate was swollen. After fooling around for almost 2 years my PSA went up to 5.6 I was put on antibiotics again and my PSA went up to a 6.5. I then had a 10 neddle biopsy, thats when they discovered my cancer. I had a nerve spairing Radical Prostacotomy. These are the nerves that allow you to have an erection. The doctor said it would be difficult to seperate the nerves from the prostate because of the Calcium. Do not let yourself be fooled into a false sense of security because your test come back negative. I took a 10 month break from my Doctor because I was tired of all the testing. It's very stressfull. I kept hoping it was BHP I went back because something inside told me to get checked again. Your PSA is not high. But go back about every 3 months and get a PSA for about a year. You'll be OK. You doing better than I, when this all started to happen to me. I remarried to a nurse and she helped me with getting educated about my illness and finding a good Doctor. Good Luck with your byopsi results. I know its a pain in the butt (smile)

Thanks for the details. It helps me understand some of what you are going thru and it helps me understand my situation better. I wish you good fortune.
  • This comment has been removed by the Moderator