IS IT CANCER?

mopar
mopar Member Posts: 1,972 Member
edited March 2014 in Lung Cancer #1
I know this is such a vague question, but after 2 months of not feeling well a few 'spots' were found on my mom's chest x-ray. They followed with a CT, no results till tomorrow. She's had fatigue, weight loss, loss of appetite, difficulty breathing. No chest pain, no other pain. Just feels like someone is sitting on her chest and it's hard to get a good deep breath. No temperature, blood pressure was good, no increased white blood cell count. No coughing, no blood. Any thoughts on this? I know it could be anything, but last year's x-ray was totally clear. I believe it's one lung only. As a cancer survivor I am, of course, VERY concerned. She is 80 years old (this Saturday) and has been smoking since about 20 years old. So, I know the possibilities in that respect, just need some input on this. Thank you and God Bless for your help!

Comments

• merioko
    merioko Member Posts: 1
    I just came back from the hospital with my mom (78 year old smoker) and they found a mass in her xray also. It's Saturday and I don't know the outcome either but of course I am thinking the worse. She has COPD after smoking so long and I know they cannot operate. I feel your pain, because I am in the same position. When my mom dies I am all alone. I have thought about killing myself but I have children. What can we do?
  • mopar
    mopar Member Posts: 1,972 Member
    merioko said:

I just came back from the hospital with my mom (78 year old smoker) and they found a mass in her xray also. It's Saturday and I don't know the outcome either but of course I am thinking the worse. She has COPD after smoking so long and I know they cannot operate. I feel your pain, because I am in the same position. When my mom dies I am all alone. I have thought about killing myself but I have children. What can we do?

I know how you feel (thinking the worst). This isn't easy. But taking your life is not the answer. Please, no matter what happens, consider your children. Their loss would be just as great, if not greater than yours. They would really be alone. Do you live with your mom? Please let me know what you find out. Then we can talk again. I will know something this week. I took my mom for another CT yesteray, and we have an appointment this Tuesday with her doctor. He has already scheduled her for an appointment with the oncologist. Having had cancer myself, I know the terminology. He was very careful with his words with my mom, but I know what he was trying to say. Anyway, please keep in touch. You may e-mail me privately if you wish. Just take one day at a time. What are your children's ages? Are they supportive? I will keep all of you in my prayers. God Bless you.
  • nicholesmom
    nicholesmom Member Posts: 17
    merioko said:

Please don't consider that alternative. You know for as much as we love our parents, we can only hope that our children love us like that too. What will they do if you do that? We are all here and are all going through the same thing or something similiar and I know I can only speak for myself, but I will always listen and write back. I hope it comes out alright. Let me know.
    Kim