Looking for Women of Men With Prostrate Cancer - Support

CeaSpirit
CeaSpirit Member Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in Prostate Cancer #1
Hello - I'm wondering if there is a support group here for women of men with prostrate cancer. My husband just went through the RP and we get the dreaded cathader out on Monday.

The cancer broke through the prostrate through and we have more to go through. Looking for support. This has all been very scary but am trying to stay very positive and upbeat.

Looking forward to hearing from you -

Carolyn

Comments

• lindatn
    lindatn Member Posts: 229
    Sorry to hear about your husband but I also am a wife of a prostate cancer husband. I'm on here off and on driving the men crazy with my ideas. I wonder why they did surgery if the cancer was already out of the prostate. Generally it is radiation. My husband had radiation, his psa was 60. they couldn't find anything on the ct or bone scan but with that high of psa surgery is generally considered a no no. Radiation was full pelvic and then 16 IMRT. There were some problems for him with bladder and sex life. He is 62 Vigra has worked but gives him a headache. I have had breast cancer so on Tamoxifen which kind of knocks the interest in sex in the basement anyhow so we do a lot of hugging and be thankful we can still do that. How old is your husband? If interested in writing me I'm at elton@twlakes.net. Linda
  • LITTLECOCOA
    LITTLECOCOA Member Posts: 2
    MY HUSBAND JUST FOUND OUT HE HAD PC. HE IS VERY SCARED. HE HAS END STAGE HEART FAILURE. HE IS SO AFRAID THAT HE WON'T SURVIVE THE SURGERY. HE WAS ACCEPTED FOR A HEART TRANSPLANT WHEN THIS HAPPENED. WHAT NEXT? I DON'T KNOW HOW TO HELP HIM.
  • Benji48
    Benji48 Member Posts: 117

MY HUSBAND JUST FOUND OUT HE HAD PC. HE IS VERY SCARED. HE HAS END STAGE HEART FAILURE. HE IS SO AFRAID THAT HE WON'T SURVIVE THE SURGERY. HE WAS ACCEPTED FOR A HEART TRANSPLANT WHEN THIS HAPPENED. WHAT NEXT? I DON'T KNOW HOW TO HELP HIM.

Hi littlecocoa,
    You don't indicate your husbands age so that would most likely influence his decision.I've read on another post that his PSA of 14 & Gleason of 5 is sort of contra-indicative. If true would suggest that his level is moderately high but the aggresiveness is low (if correct that's a good sign). Please list some more pertinent data.With what's known at this point (without the age factor) it would seem the heart problem is the more severe and the PC problem may be mute at best!
    Benji
  • Christiane56
    Christiane56 Member Posts: 1

I am sorry to hear about your Husband.Mine was diagnosed on May 6 that he had PC.His psa is 6.7 the gleason is 10 .He is 62. He had his Lupron shot 2 weeks ago .The Dr.recomendent surgery .This should happend about the first part of September.So for now we are waiting. We are scared ,some days are worst then others .Don't really know how it will all turn out. Good luck to you and your Spouse.
  • MarcLynn
    MarcLynn Member Posts: 3
    Hello Carolyn,
    I am so sorry for your pain - and I know that this site really helped me when my Dad was diagnosed with PC. I found 2 women on this site who walked the path with me, and gave such support. I would suggest you responding to several listed above - they can be of such encouragement. I will be glad to be in touch, if you'd like. My Dad's PC was very advanced when they found it, but he had 3 years. I have researched, studied and lived PC for this time and promised myself that I would always be of help to anyone seeking support. There are so many little unknowns during treatment,etc. I want you to know that your family, friends and faith will help you thru this disease.
    It is scary that is for sure, but there are such wonderful, caring folks and medical people who really understand and care.
    Wishing your husband recovery and healing and most of all peace, during this difficult time.
    Prayers for you both!
  • Zinda
    Zinda Member Posts: 3
    CeaSpirit:

I know exactly how you feel. My husband was diagnosed with advanced PC 4/25/03. His PSA was 113. A bone scan revealed it had already spread to the bones and the bone mets were too numerous to count. He took lupron for about 8 months and his PSA got down to 6.9. Then his PSA started to climb and it jumped up to 77. He started chemotherapy about six weeks ago and has had 3 treatments. His PSA is now 4.4, which is the lowest it has been since he was diagnosed. The chemo makes him feel terrible and we don't know how much more he will have to have.

It's been a little over one year and he is still here. He has had a lot of prayer and support. Try to keep your chin up. This is the most devastating experience I have ever been through, but as time goes by, you get better. I will pray for you and your husband.

Zinda