Catch-Up

Galliano
Galliano Member Posts: 46
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Hello All!
Thanks to a sleepless night, I was able to catch up on the last 3 wks of posts. First, I'd like to say Thank-You to those of you who expressed support, prayers, and love concerning my husband's recent surgery. You helped more than you'll ever know. It has been a very difficult few wks, but I know it will get better.
To Stacy, once again, you are a very special person indeed. To Kanga, I was so happy to read news of your latest results! Way to go!!!! To Grandma047, Judy, I'm keeping you in my prayers for your upcoming surgery, which I'm sure you're worried about but I know the outcome will be successful. To Monika (who I hope will have an incredibly wonderful vacation...how exciting!) and SallyJo, I feel a connection to you both with your experiences. I don't believe there is a person alive who is untouched by the cruelties of this awful desease. Sometimes it's hard for me to understand that in this modern day of fantastic technology, so much in the world of medicine still seems to be in the dark ages. It's hard to understand how a tumor can be so hard to detect; with only a PET pointing to an area and only after CEA can rise for 1 1/2 yrs. CT's, MRI's, Ultrasound's, Laparoscopy, can't pick up tumors sooner, and yet PET is unspecific. Meanwhile CEA goes up to 206!!
I can only hope and pray that his surgery was in time. I love that word....T I M E........so precious....I realize my words are flowing, so I'll break up my thoughts into separate posts. My husband isn't ready to start typing here yet, but I hope he will soon. I'm back, and I continue to pray for all of you, each and every day. Be Well!
Pam

Comments

• sallyjoy
    sallyjoy Member Posts: 102
    My thoughts and prayers are with you too. I too wonder sometimes about the "latest" technology, but it is a far cry better than it used to be. Lincoln (hubby) had a CT/PET scan combo. His brother (who is in the medical field) said WOW! that's stae of the art. It showed no other cancer so I am hoping this is true. I too understand the confusion about CEA's rising. Lincoln's was 2.1 when he was dx. When it was checked like a month after surgery it was 7.8, which scard the bejeebers out of me. I already knew about the met to the liver so I didn't know what to think. The nurse who gave me the high CEA said the chemo would take care of it and "well, at least it's not 20" I think i read somewhere that the docs start worrying if it goes over 20. Is that true ? anyone know? Also hubby had a CT scan 2 wks ago right before chemo started because of pain is his left chest which we thought might be a pulmonary embolism. Talk about fear. It took me 3 days to convince him to go to the ER!! What is is with men? Or is it just my man? :) Turns out they treated him for pluerisy (infection in the outer lining of the lung) Anyone ever get that here? They also mentioned they saw an enlarged lymph node in his chest but it was"too hard to get to" I guess that was supposed to make me feel better. Sometimes it just drives me nuts with worry. I try not to dwell on it as much as I can and hope the PET scan would have picked that up.

I am rambling a bit.. sorry.... On a good note, hubby feels better today than he has in 3 months he tells me :) I just wanted to throw myself around him! What a good day! He's had a lot of side effects from the 1st round of chemo, but things look better for now... :)

I will keep you and everyone else in my prayers and hope for Good News for us all!

God Bless and keep us updated.
    Sally Jo
  • Tessyann
    Tessyann Member Posts: 56
    Hi galliano I have to agree with you on dark ages as we too just had that happen 2x to us with CT not detecting a tumor and Pet scan claiming it was just imflammation ... it really make you think doesnt it like what can you trust.
  • Galliano
    sallyjoy said:

My thoughts and prayers are with you too. I too wonder sometimes about the "latest" technology, but it is a far cry better than it used to be. Lincoln (hubby) had a CT/PET scan combo. His brother (who is in the medical field) said WOW! that's stae of the art. It showed no other cancer so I am hoping this is true. I too understand the confusion about CEA's rising. Lincoln's was 2.1 when he was dx. When it was checked like a month after surgery it was 7.8, which scard the bejeebers out of me. I already knew about the met to the liver so I didn't know what to think. The nurse who gave me the high CEA said the chemo would take care of it and "well, at least it's not 20" I think i read somewhere that the docs start worrying if it goes over 20. Is that true ? anyone know? Also hubby had a CT scan 2 wks ago right before chemo started because of pain is his left chest which we thought might be a pulmonary embolism. Talk about fear. It took me 3 days to convince him to go to the ER!! What is is with men? Or is it just my man? :) Turns out they treated him for pluerisy (infection in the outer lining of the lung) Anyone ever get that here? They also mentioned they saw an enlarged lymph node in his chest but it was"too hard to get to" I guess that was supposed to make me feel better. Sometimes it just drives me nuts with worry. I try not to dwell on it as much as I can and hope the PET scan would have picked that up.

I am rambling a bit.. sorry.... On a good note, hubby feels better today than he has in 3 months he tells me :) I just wanted to throw myself around him! What a good day! He's had a lot of side effects from the 1st round of chemo, but things look better for now... :)

I will keep you and everyone else in my prayers and hope for Good News for us all!

God Bless and keep us updated.
    Sally Jo

Dear Sally Jo
    It was nice to hear from you. I'm so glad to hear that your hubby is feeling so good today. I hope it'll continue forever. My hubby also had the PET/CT overlay done before his surgery for the first time...it is pretty interesting!! It was the best diagnostic test he had done so far. So if your guy got a good report from his, then that is something to relax over! Everyone we've talked to has different opinion on CEA importance....yes, we know that it is only a 'red flag', but if it's the only flag a-fly'n well, I know I'm going to also be scared outta my bejeebers! Sounds like your hubby is being watched very closely, and that is the most important thing right now. I'll continue to keep him, you, and all of the rest of you in my thoughts and prayers.
    Pam
    p.s. Happy Mother's Day to all you wonderful mom's!!
  • Galliano
    Tessyann said:

Hi galliano I have to agree with you on dark ages as we too just had that happen 2x to us with CT not detecting a tumor and Pet scan claiming it was just imflammation ... it really make you think doesnt it like what can you trust.

Dear Tessyann
    Thank you for your comments. Wouldn't it be nice if the real medical world had diagnostic stuff like they seem to have in the movies??? Until that happens, I guess I'll keep trying to stick with my gut instints about what questions to ask, and what to do, and that way I'll at least feel that we're always trying to do the best that we can do, and hopefully that will be enough. I'll keep you also in my prayers, and may us all be well, healthy and happy!
    Pam
    p.s. Happy Mother's Day to all you wonderful mom's!