HELLO!

hummingbyrd
hummingbyrd Member Posts: 950 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
OK ladies, it has started, I know the hair and nails issues are important, but for those of you who take ANY dietary supplements you should know without supplements hair and nails don't grow.
Meaning: I think a lot of us are here today not because of chemo and radiation, but because of chemo, radiation AND dietary supplementation.
Please, if you take any additional vitamins, herbs or whatever post a note, even if just to say "I do".
Point is, the FDA is pulling 12 'dangerous dietary supplements' off the market.
I fear this is just the beginning of a terrible injustice! If allowed to continue we may deeply regret our lack of action.
hummingbyrd

Comments

• lizaboy
    lizaboy Member Posts: 34
    I know this will worry all 'health' junkies but unfortunately a lot of so called natural remedies can be very dangerous. There are many who believe 'if its natural it must be safe',WRONG.....digitalus!!!! belladona!!!! the list goes on. As with EVERYTHING which we put in our bodies extreme cation must be taken. I for one welcome this move by the FDA. What do others think?
    Liza.
    ps I do take a vitamin/calcium supplement, a carefully researched one!
  • tlmac
    tlmac Member Posts: 272 Member
    hummingbyrd, I take several supplements, all with the knowledge and approval of my medical team. Before taking anything, I clear it with them. Currently I take Milk Thistle, CoQ10, Vitamin E, Selenium, Green Tea and Acidophilus. Do you happen to know which 12 supplements the FDA considers "dangeroius." Thanks.
    terri
  • grandma
    grandma Member Posts: 162
    Hello, I take supplements, vitamin c and multi's also, gelatin, and extra b12 along with all the rest of med.s rx ed for me, can't keep my blood count up without them. HAPPY EASTER !!!Grandma Flo
  • vac
    vac Member Posts: 97
    i take calcium and green tea in capsule ,it has spirulina, chlorella, barley juice, alfalfa juice, wheat grass concentrate, rolly jelly 100% pure, carrot powder, pycnogenol, lecithin oil free, flax seed oilvegetarian omega 3, apple pectin, co-enzyme q10, bromelain, milk thistle, ginko, vitamin e, bilberry, cinnamon, ultra plex base made by life source.
  • cinder
    cinder Member Posts: 50
    Hi Hummingbyrd, You know that I take extra supplements. Which ones are they pulling? I just got out of the hospital with pneumonia and am wondering if it would have been worse without the extra's that I had been taking.

Cinder
  • amelia
    amelia Member Posts: 56
    Hummingbyrd, I take COQ10, and AHCC, an immune booster made from mushrooms. I would travel out of the country to get these if they took them away. My belief that AHCC is helping to keep my cancer at bay and from metastasizing, may be a big part of the cure. I do not know which 12 you are talking about, but if they do 12 today, what 12 will they do tomorrow. This is not good news. I am very dissapointed in my oncologist team when they poo-poo my wanting to try other things. Also they tell me:"never heard of that before". That really drives me nuts. They are stuck in a big rut it seems, and refuse to buge. I've been getting the MOSS report newsletters, and I have found that interesting reading. Please keep us informed on this subject, Thank You and GodBless, Amelia
  • hummingbyrd
    amelia said:

Hummingbyrd, I take COQ10, and AHCC, an immune booster made from mushrooms. I would travel out of the country to get these if they took them away. My belief that AHCC is helping to keep my cancer at bay and from metastasizing, may be a big part of the cure. I do not know which 12 you are talking about, but if they do 12 today, what 12 will they do tomorrow. This is not good news. I am very dissapointed in my oncologist team when they poo-poo my wanting to try other things. Also they tell me:"never heard of that before". That really drives me nuts. They are stuck in a big rut it seems, and refuse to buge. I've been getting the MOSS report newsletters, and I have found that interesting reading. Please keep us informed on this subject, Thank You and GodBless, Amelia

See my last post "Thank you". It explains things a bit more. You are absolutely right about 'these 12 now, what 12 later'! Go to citizens.org and send a letter to your congressmen. Let them know how much we value our supplements. You can also access your local congressmen through a site called www.defeatcancer.org
    Thank you ladies. There is power in numbers and we can make a difference, for ourselves and our children. God bless you all. hummingbyrd
  • mssue
    mssue Member Posts: 242
    I DO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • lindatn
    lindatn Member Posts: 229
    We take many herbs and vitamins and no I do not bother to tell the MDs as I don't need my faith in these gifts from God to be brushed off.
  • cat1switzerland
    cat1switzerland Member Posts: 112
    Hi ladies! Here in Switzerland different supplements are available, but not quite as many as in the States. I have turned to eating lots of healthy foods: no more pre-packaged foods, no more frozen dinners, and at least 5 to 10 small servings of fruits and vegetables per day. Sounds like a lot if you are like me a few years ago, eating none! But actually if you eat a mixed salad, or a fruit salad, plus a fresh orange juice or grape juice, you are quickly getting to those numbers. I really enjoyed the book "a week in the Zone", and 5 years after BC, no supplements taken, I believe my new eating habits and the regular practice of yoga have helped me stay healthy. Everybody has to find what works for them, though, and I hope you can keep on buying what helps you. (at least nobody can take my veggies from me... unless there is a nuclear war I guess!)
  • hummingbyrd

Hi ladies! Here in Switzerland different supplements are available, but not quite as many as in the States. I have turned to eating lots of healthy foods: no more pre-packaged foods, no more frozen dinners, and at least 5 to 10 small servings of fruits and vegetables per day. Sounds like a lot if you are like me a few years ago, eating none! But actually if you eat a mixed salad, or a fruit salad, plus a fresh orange juice or grape juice, you are quickly getting to those numbers. I really enjoyed the book "a week in the Zone", and 5 years after BC, no supplements taken, I believe my new eating habits and the regular practice of yoga have helped me stay healthy. Everybody has to find what works for them, though, and I hope you can keep on buying what helps you. (at least nobody can take my veggies from me... unless there is a nuclear war I guess!)

Unfortunately cat they can. There's a push to start doing a process called 'irradiation' to our food. It kills some bacteria, probably gives food a longer shelf life (can't remember what all I read). Anyway, they don't want to label it as 'irradiation', they want to call it 'cold pasteurization'.
    Oh yeah, process does decrease the vitamin content, but it stays fresher longer.
    Point is "food and drug" goes hand in hand. If anything is going to be done about this, now is the time.
  • cherie1202
    cherie1202 Member Posts: 6
    I do!! I take a multi-vitamin, calcium, vitamin e.
  • lynne40
    lynne40 Member Posts: 87

I do!! I take a multi-vitamin, calcium, vitamin e.

I do Multi vitamin, coral calcium, grren tea, flaxseed,cranberry, currant capsule,vitaminE not one cold or any sickness during treatment or since all winter!!!