update on mom

Options
tom29mi
tom29mi Member Posts: 31 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
well the goog news is shes done good on the chemo and has one more left but the bad news is she was admitted to the hospital yesterday with a possible blocked artery in her left leg.she has no feeling from the knee down and it is ice cold and changing color so now im scared shes going to end up losing the leg or at least some of the use of it and i dont know how shell handle it if that happens.such a little woman with so much courage who hasnt complained once from all the pokes and prods and yet she keeps having things like this happen

Comments

• DeeNY711
    DeeNY711 Member Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Tom, when my port clotted, it sent a shower of blood clots up my arm, pressing against the jugular vein. The circulation to my left arm was cut off, and it turned purple with gray spots. Anticoagulants were given IV, then I had to inject myself at home with them after a week in the hospital. It is amazing what you decide you can do if it means getting out of the hospital! It was several weeks before the color of the left arm even approached normal, and it was cool and fairly blue during those weeks. Be brave, keep a happy thought and know we are thinking of you and Mom.
    Love,
    Denise
  • tom29mi
    Options
    DeeNY711 said:

Tom, when my port clotted, it sent a shower of blood clots up my arm, pressing against the jugular vein. The circulation to my left arm was cut off, and it turned purple with gray spots. Anticoagulants were given IV, then I had to inject myself at home with them after a week in the hospital. It is amazing what you decide you can do if it means getting out of the hospital! It was several weeks before the color of the left arm even approached normal, and it was cool and fairly blue during those weeks. Be brave, keep a happy thought and know we are thinking of you and Mom.
    Love,
    Denise

yeah i do believe theyre giving her the anitcoagulants and she had the test this morning,well at least some test since she didnt know if it was the one or not,to check for the blockage.my question for you is when your arm was like that did you lose all feeling in it or did you still have feeling because she has none whatsoever and that really worries me.maybe im just thinking the worse but theyve been so slow to do anything that im worried theyll end up having to take it off from the knee down and shes already been through so much and i dont think she could take that
  • tom29mi
    Options
    well just got home from the hospital with the news that theyre unable to save moms leg and have to amputate it from just above the knee down.surgery is scheduled for monday so ill update then
  • DeeNY711
    DeeNY711 Member Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    tom29mi said:

well just got home from the hospital with the news that theyre unable to save moms leg and have to amputate it from just above the knee down.surgery is scheduled for monday so ill update then

I'm so terribly sorry. You are right about Mom having been through enough without this, too. My nephew lost a leg in a car accident the weekend of high school graduation many years ago, and if it is any comfort at all, take heart in the fact that life does go on anyway. The prosthetic devices they have now enable people to live normally, and even continue to run if they were runners before. It is a tough road between Point A and Point B, but it is worth the struggle.
    D.
  • tom29mi
    Options
    DeeNY711 said:

I'm so terribly sorry. You are right about Mom having been through enough without this, too. My nephew lost a leg in a car accident the weekend of high school graduation many years ago, and if it is any comfort at all, take heart in the fact that life does go on anyway. The prosthetic devices they have now enable people to live normally, and even continue to run if they were runners before. It is a tough road between Point A and Point B, but it is worth the struggle.
    D.

well to make a long story short they took her leg monday and when shes well enough off comes the breast.there blunt and to the damn point