Chemotherapy itching

Options
rose1503
rose1503 Member Posts: 5
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Good day!
Can someone please share their remedy or provide some insight with me for elevating that uncontrollable itching that occurs in my hands and feet as a result of the chemotherapy? Have a wonderful day!

Comments

• inkblot
    inkblot Member Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    Hi rose:

I'm assuming that your itching happens after chemo?

I never had itching anyplace else on my body, but my forearm, while being infused, turned red and itched incredibly. It happened mildly during the first infusion of AC. During the 2nd infusion, it was much worse and was scarlet red and began to swell too. My onc told the nurse to stop infusion and I was given a large dose of Benadryl in the IV and treatment resumed. It was, she said, a local allergic reaction, so I always received the Benadryl prior to the remaining treatments, in addition to the Decadron. Quite a trip!

Did you mention this lingering itchiness to your onc and if so what did he/she think? Perhaps ask your doctor about trying Benadryl at home to help control it? Just a thought.

Hoping you find relief soon!

Love, light and laughter,
    Ink
  • vac
    vac Member Posts: 97
    Options
    i use to get that after my treatments, it happens when i am outside. i did not get a rash it just started to itch. i did not do anything about it just scratch. my hands peeled like i had a bad sunburn. the only thing that itches is my head my hair is growing back. good luck
  • Snookums
    Snookums Member Posts: 148
    Options
    vac said:

i use to get that after my treatments, it happens when i am outside. i did not get a rash it just started to itch. i did not do anything about it just scratch. my hands peeled like i had a bad sunburn. the only thing that itches is my head my hair is growing back. good luck

I kept vitamin e oil on my hands and feet- if it helps great if not ask your chemo nurse. Good Luck- C
  • rose1503
    rose1503 Member Posts: 5
    Options
    Snookums said:

I kept vitamin e oil on my hands and feet- if it helps great if not ask your chemo nurse. Good Luck- C

Thanks for the info. Hadn't tried vitamin E. They gave me even more Benadryl to take.
    Have a great evening!