Oxaliplatin dosage

andreae
andreae Member Posts: 236
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Hi everyone,

I was wondering how much oxaliplatin you guys are getting. I started off with one infusion every three weeks 85mg/m2 and they have bumped me up (at my request however) to 130mg/m2... I'm now starting to doubt my insistence, I really fing that 130mg is quite a blow... Comparing dosages would be useful. Want to know what you Americans are getting.

Thanks and hugs to all,
Andrea

Comments

• Hi Andrea:

I will check at home tonight and get back with you. I wrote Bert's dosage down somewhere and can't for the life of me remember what it is off hand. I'll write later.

Hugs,
    Monika
  • Pewter
    Pewter Member Posts: 24
    Hello:

There are several FolFOx regimens (I-VII, I believe), so the dose depends on which regimen has been chosen for you. It is also my understanding that the dose does not have to "blow you out" to be effective. Why did you request your dose be increased??

Pewter
  • andreae
    andreae Member Posts: 236
    Pewter said:

Hello:

There are several FolFOx regimens (I-VII, I believe), so the dose depends on which regimen has been chosen for you. It is also my understanding that the dose does not have to "blow you out" to be effective. Why did you request your dose be increased??

Pewter

I asked them to increase the dose because it's the latest dose. We actually decreased my Xeloda slightly from 3300 to 3000. Can't feel the difference though. The doctor actually suggested it and I pushed for it. Is it possible that it's cause the genetics report came back labeling the tumour as highly aggressive? Don't know. My doctor strongly believes in bigger doses, I guess. He had little old me doing 6600mg of Xeloda at one point... That lasted exactly one day cause I was in agony from the over-dose. I'm 5foot 7inches 122 pounds.
  • KrisS
    KrisS Member Posts: 229
    I am about your size 5'6'', 117 lb, and get 135 mg oxaliplatin every 2 wks with calcium/magnesium infusion before and after the oxaliplatin, as well as Xeloda 4000 mg for 5 days. After 16 treatments I got pretty severe hand foot syndrome- I didn't want to touch anything for a day, and last week got bloody urine probably from Xeloda induced irritation of the bladder/urethra lining, so my onc is reducing my dose of Xeloda 12% to 3500 mg per day.

Hope you get things worked out so you are more comfortable.

Kris
  • nanuk
    nanuk Member Posts: 1,358 Member
    andreae: I'm getting 100mg/M2, 200mg IV, once,over 1-1/2-2hrs, once every 2 wks with Leucorvin and 800mg push of 5fu, followed by 4800 mg 5fu infusion over 46 hrs. My Dx is similar to yours, and I'm 230lbs, 6' - today was my first tx..not sure what the M2 means. Bud
  • KrisS
    KrisS Member Posts: 229
    nanuk said:

andreae: I'm getting 100mg/M2, 200mg IV, once,over 1-1/2-2hrs, once every 2 wks with Leucorvin and 800mg push of 5fu, followed by 4800 mg 5fu infusion over 46 hrs. My Dx is similar to yours, and I'm 230lbs, 6' - today was my first tx..not sure what the M2 means. Bud

Bud- M2 is short for square meters. Rather than dosing chemo on weight, they have found that our body surface area is a better predictor of how fast we will metabolize it. They have tables that take into account your weight and height and convert to body surface area in square meters.

Good to hear that you tolerated your first chemo well so far. I am lucky I only have to drive 6 miles for my chemo; 70 miles is a long trip home!

Best wishes,

Kris