Brain Cancer Surviver

KevinRP
KevinRP Member Posts: 7
edited March 2014 in Childhood Cancers #1
Hey all I am new here and am looking for some friends, My name is Kevin and I am a Childhood Brain Cancer surviver, I was diagnosed on May of 92 and now am 23. Been in remission for going on 12 years now. I am from a small town in NW Alabama, and I have a Support group for Teens and Young adults Survivers in Muscle shoals Alabama. I would like to meet more survivers and maybe someone my age. The support group is SIA (survivers in action) it was started by Somer Hood, she died in the fall of last year, she had Glioblastoma Grade A, u can read about her on the net, just go to any search engine and type in her name. Well I hope to chat to lots of People, Love ya all!

Comments

• This comment has been removed by the Moderator
  • Kathee
    Kathee Member Posts: 4
    Hi Kevin. My name is Kathy and ironically, I have already come across sSomer Hood's site. My 11 yr.old son was diagnosed with Glioblastoma Mutltiforme Stage IV brain cancer in 5/03 and had 100% resection 5/13/03- the radiation and now about to start his 8th (out of 10) round of chemo. So far ALL his MRI's are clear. The thing is, all I ever hear is that GBM's always come back....he is on an alternative called Protocel (you can go to the net and just type it in)I strongly believe this is what has helped with the clear MRI's...what sort of brain cancer did you have? I'm so very glad for you, and I will pray for your continued good health. My son has a website too: www.caringbridge.org/fl/david
    all lowercase letters. His attitude is basically: Hey, I'm cancer free and just want to skateboard!!
    Sometimes being young with a devastating disease can actually be the best thing, his anxiety is about non-existent- I had colon cancer, I'm fine so he too believes there is nothing more to think about but when he can go to the skate park and just have fun! It's me with the anxiety, even though he's doing awesome...he's my baby. Well sorry for the long reply...God Bless!
  • ISURVIVEDBC
    ISURVIVEDBC Member Posts: 3
    I survived a grade 2 malignant tumor (cancer) when I was 10 and have been in remission foir 20 yrs this coming Nov. I shocked my dr by surviving and am still alive and kicking albeit my right side is partially paralyzed and not doing too good and I am epileptic. I thank Jesus for saving my life and healing me as he did. One thing we must all be thankful for is our surviving cancer and WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!
  • albamasurviver
    albamasurviver Member Posts: 64
    Kathee said:

Hi Kevin. My name is Kathy and ironically, I have already come across sSomer Hood's site. My 11 yr.old son was diagnosed with Glioblastoma Mutltiforme Stage IV brain cancer in 5/03 and had 100% resection 5/13/03- the radiation and now about to start his 8th (out of 10) round of chemo. So far ALL his MRI's are clear. The thing is, all I ever hear is that GBM's always come back....he is on an alternative called Protocel (you can go to the net and just type it in)I strongly believe this is what has helped with the clear MRI's...what sort of brain cancer did you have? I'm so very glad for you, and I will pray for your continued good health. My son has a website too: www.caringbridge.org/fl/david
    all lowercase letters. His attitude is basically: Hey, I'm cancer free and just want to skateboard!!
    Sometimes being young with a devastating disease can actually be the best thing, his anxiety is about non-existent- I had colon cancer, I'm fine so he too believes there is nothing more to think about but when he can go to the skate park and just have fun! It's me with the anxiety, even though he's doing awesome...he's my baby. Well sorry for the long reply...God Bless!

I am sorry I have been out of the scene for a while been having trouble with my PC, and of course working all the time. Thank you for writing me, I am so glad you are doing well. I hope your son is doing well and hope everything is well with him, Please email me at krp@hiwaay.net and I would love to chat more with all who have replied to this posting. You as well ISURVIVED I would love to hear from you also, and hope you are well. GOD BLESS, And HUGGS!!
  • This comment has been removed by the Moderator
  • Fiona and Brad
    Fiona and Brad Member Posts: 8

I survived a grade 2 malignant tumor (cancer) when I was 10 and have been in remission foir 20 yrs this coming Nov. I shocked my dr by surviving and am still alive and kicking albeit my right side is partially paralyzed and not doing too good and I am epileptic. I thank Jesus for saving my life and healing me as he did. One thing we must all be thankful for is our surviving cancer and WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!

Brain tumour type
    Hi there, great to hear your story of long survival, what an inspiration. Do you mind telling me what kind of Brain Tumour you had? Regard Fiona
  • Fiona and Brad
    Fiona and Brad Member Posts: 8
    brain tumour type
    Hi Kevin , I realise your blog was 7 years ago but could you please tell me what kind of tumour you had. I am looking to make contact with a long term survivor of an Oligodendroglioma and hope this could be you. I look forward to your reply. Regard Fiona and Brad