Small cell survivors needed!

kate218
kate218 Member Posts: 5
edited March 2014 in Lung Cancer #1
I am searching for survivors of small cell. My Dad was diagnosed last October. He is stillgoing for Chemo. He is having anxiety attacks and I need to hear from someone who has lived longer than 12 months. He is doing o.k., he just gets tired and frustrated. He quit smoking 32 years ago. How unfair!
Please give me some hope and don't tell me to have faith, I've been saying Novenas and going to church ever since. Please don't tell me about someone who died, I can't even think about that. I have 3 small kids and I need my Dad around. Please tell me that someone has beaten the odds.

Comments

• pacisan
    pacisan Member Posts: 18
    kate..just about everyone on this board has "beat the odds"..the only thing you can do is fight this desease. I had my left lung removed in June of 2001..am cancer free to date and taking it a day at a time. I took charge of my desease..got an ongologist and pulmonary that were willing to help me fight..not write me off as a statistic. Keep strong for your dad..and help him fight this battle..keep informed and do lots of research..find a cancer support group in your area..that was one of the smartest things I did. Being with people that have faced the same problems sure does help with the anxiety of facing the unknown..afterall, they have all been there to..best of luck to all of you.
  • kate218
    pacisan said:

kate..just about everyone on this board has "beat the odds"..the only thing you can do is fight this desease. I had my left lung removed in June of 2001..am cancer free to date and taking it a day at a time. I took charge of my desease..got an ongologist and pulmonary that were willing to help me fight..not write me off as a statistic. Keep strong for your dad..and help him fight this battle..keep informed and do lots of research..find a cancer support group in your area..that was one of the smartest things I did. Being with people that have faced the same problems sure does help with the anxiety of facing the unknown..afterall, they have all been there to..best of luck to all of you.

Thank you for your reply. The only problem with the board is that it is all about non small cell and I don't see much about small cell. I wish he could have had an operation. At least the cancer could have been removed. Even the new drugs are for non small cell. Thanks.
    Kate
  • cbecker
    cbecker Member Posts: 88
    Please check out the nutrition books on supplements and foods to fight cancer. I got a book on how to fight lung cancer with supplements and foods. It is very helpful. Also check out the new procedure on www.rfalung.com if it is on com it is org. New procedure. Also have you checked into new drug Iressa. My husband is now on this because the chemo he was on quick responding. My email is mktgintl@inlandnet.net Thanks, candy
  • kate218
    cbecker said:

Please check out the nutrition books on supplements and foods to fight cancer. I got a book on how to fight lung cancer with supplements and foods. It is very helpful. Also check out the new procedure on www.rfalung.com if it is on com it is org. New procedure. Also have you checked into new drug Iressa. My husband is now on this because the chemo he was on quick responding. My email is mktgintl@inlandnet.net Thanks, candy

Thanks Candy. If you use Iressa, then you have nsc not small cell. I will check out the foods.
    Kate
  • bobmc
    bobmc Member Posts: 47
    Hi Kate, so sorry your dad and family are going through this. I'm also NSCLC but belong to several groups, try lungcancersurvivors.org,( a section on the boards is devoted to sclc survivors). There are quite a few, Sams kinda my favorite cause he's a doc.
    God bless, be well and know you are not alone.
    Bobmc- NSCLC- stageIIB-left pneumonectomy 5/2/01, " absolutely insist on enjoying life today"
  • kate218
    bobmc said:

Hi Kate, so sorry your dad and family are going through this. I'm also NSCLC but belong to several groups, try lungcancersurvivors.org,( a section on the boards is devoted to sclc survivors). There are quite a few, Sams kinda my favorite cause he's a doc.
    God bless, be well and know you are not alone.
    Bobmc- NSCLC- stageIIB-left pneumonectomy 5/2/01, " absolutely insist on enjoying life today"

Thank you Bobmc. I will remember you in my prayers.
    Kate
  • Jedi
    Jedi Member Posts: 1
    Hi Iam Bill a smallcell survivor of 2years 08/15/01
    had 1/3 of left lung removed. I get winded easy but doing well The Dr. used the R word REMISION.
    I have the comfort of my God & my Family to keep me going.my E-mail is bnorthcraft@yahoo.com I am lucky when they found mine it was as big as a quarter. I Just got over the poor me stage. Ready to help others with survivial.
  • michaelcie
    michaelcie Member Posts: 133
    Dear Kate, I have small cell lung cancer, the tumor was 5 inches x 4 inches x 3 inches, I am inoperable, I was diagnosed in May of 2001 by a biopsy and started chemo, cisplatnum, vp 16 and had a bad reaction the seconc cylce and switched to carboplatnum, vp 16 and taxol, I started radiation the fourth cycle of chemo and had it for six and a half weeks, five times a week. I am in remission and doing ok. I am disabled but live each day and do alot of fishing, I am a survivor and if can be of any help you can e-mail me a handle@nauticom.net I also take paxel for the anxiety, tell your dad to fight and never give up. Mike
  • CHANG343
    CHANG343 Member Posts: 3
    cbecker said:

Candy
    My email address is
    chang343@aol.com

I am going to go over to AOL and send you an email to:
    mktgintl@inlandnet.net
    AOL will tell me if mail cannot be delivered to that address.

I will also check to ensure that you should be able to "reply" to chang343.

Will look for mail under IRESSA on this board, and also email from you at chang343.

If all else fails my tel is:

Bill Gunn
    SDiego CA
    13Months on Iressa.
    Stable as of June CT (with IV contrast)
    Next CT sked for 23 SEP.
  • Ras
    Ras Member Posts: 1
    cbecker said:

candy, I'm interested in finding a good book on alternative nutrition to help fight small cell lung cancer. Any titles for me? I was diagnosed at the end of May 2003 & have completed 4 rounds chemo & radiation twice a day for 15 days. Check up on the 30th Sept then possible preventative cranial radiation if head is clear of tumor. Can anyone out there tell me how they feel after having the PCI? Thanks Much...Rachel
  • EllenLouise
    EllenLouise Member Posts: 1
    Ras said:

candy, I'm interested in finding a good book on alternative nutrition to help fight small cell lung cancer. Any titles for me? I was diagnosed at the end of May 2003 & have completed 4 rounds chemo & radiation twice a day for 15 days. Check up on the 30th Sept then possible preventative cranial radiation if head is clear of tumor. Can anyone out there tell me how they feel after having the PCI? Thanks Much...Rachel

Hi Rachel,
    I am now receiving PCI. I find I get very tired.
    I was diagnosed May 2003 and started treatments on
    June 2nd. I was at Limited stages. I started PCI Nov 2 and only have 7 more treatments. It has been a long six months. How is your breathing? My is taxed sometimes and othertime OK
    I look forward to hering from you.
    Ellen
  • towanda
    towanda Member Posts: 19
    Hey Kate. Sorry to hear about your father. I know this is tough for you. I am also a small cell survivor. It was in extensive stage, and had spread to my lymph nodes. They gave me chemo and radiation at the same time. Had rads twice a day for 3 weeks straight. I was diagnosed in March 2001 and am doing great. I'm in complete remission! Don't give up on hope. It wasn't too long ago that I kept looking to this network for survivors. I was always down when NSCell people would write me back. That's a completely different type. I knew they meant well but it never helped. So here you go. I am beating it and so can your dad! 304-366-1204, ask for Towanda and I'll know it's you. Smile