Help- watery eyes . . .

Snookums
Snookums Member Posts: 148
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I had one round of Taxotere that started in March and finished in May. I lost all but 3 eyelashes. I had watery eyes during chemo and well, everyone said it was "normal" but now 2 1/2 months later still- the watering. What is it? Is it because I don't have eyelashes and once they grow it will cease or is it just "part of the program" so, live with it? Any of you angels had this or know of someone that had it? I am glad to have this as my only complaint after all the other side effects. I also, know many people have MUCH bigger problems but- it is mine and I just need some insight. So- answer away with great words of wisdom for me. I will continue to pray and know that God has a PLAN- perhaps I am to provide the water for another great flood? Thanks- gang!

Comments

• vac
    vac Member Posts: 97
    i have the watery eyes 3 month after chemo and they itch me i wish they would stop my doc said it will last 6 months
  • tarabrown
    tarabrown Member Posts: 14
    I finished my last treatment on July 17th and have had watery, itchy eyes after each treatment. I still suffer them and also wish it would stop. I have no words of wisdom for you but wanted you to know you aren't alone. Keep smiling and God be with you. Tara
  • JKAlley
    JKAlley Member Posts: 84
    tarabrown said:

I finished my last treatment on July 17th and have had watery, itchy eyes after each treatment. I still suffer them and also wish it would stop. I have no words of wisdom for you but wanted you to know you aren't alone. Keep smiling and God be with you. Tara

Your eyes should stop watering before you create the next big flood, you might have a small creek overflow but not much more! My eyes water constantly and I get white stuff (it's the dried salt in our tears) around my eyes. There are reasons we have eyelashes, and what we're experiencing is one of them. This too will pass. Judy
  • vac
    vac Member Posts: 97
    I HAD MY LAST CHEMO APRIL 2 MY EYES ARE STILL WATERING AND I HAVE ALL OF MY EYELASHES BACK. THE M.D. FROM MOFFITT SAID IT WILL LAST FOR 6 MONTHS
  • prayerangel
    prayerangel Member Posts: 147
    It has been almost 2 yrs. and I still have one side of my eye watering. I had a drippy nose that came up during chemo and comes up frequently. The chemo affects everyone differently and I think we should be thankful that this is all that is happening as a result. My "chemo brain" was the worst and pops up occasionally. I just forget words and how to spell them, etc.
  • rizzo15
    rizzo15 Member Posts: 153 Member
    Snookums--As you can tell by all the other responses, 2 months of watery eyes is normal. I had to keep explaining to the people at work that just because I was constantly wiping my eyes, I was not crying or in pain...it's just a nuisance side effect that nobody should be concerned about. For people who didn't know I was doing chemo, I just told them that I had allergies. My doctor said there were medications that could dry up the tears a little...but since I developed this side effect fairly late in my Taxotere treatment, he thought it would be better to let it clear up by itself.
  • queenqueen21
    queenqueen21 Member Posts: 2

It has been almost 2 yrs. and I still have one side of my eye watering. I had a drippy nose that came up during chemo and comes up frequently. The chemo affects everyone differently and I think we should be thankful that this is all that is happening as a result. My "chemo brain" was the worst and pops up occasionally. I just forget words and how to spell them, etc.

watering eyes . . . .
    Bittersweet to say this but I am 9 yrs out and eyes still water! Not as bad as first yr but some days a re worse than others. My friends say oh she dabs! HAhaha but hey 9 yrs no recurrances- heck I'll take the watering if that keeps me going! Just is an aggrivation!!!!!
  • Clementine_P
    Clementine_P Member Posts: 518 Member
    rizzo15 said:

Snookums--As you can tell by all the other responses, 2 months of watery eyes is normal. I had to keep explaining to the people at work that just because I was constantly wiping my eyes, I was not crying or in pain...it's just a nuisance side effect that nobody should be concerned about. For people who didn't know I was doing chemo, I just told them that I had allergies. My doctor said there were medications that could dry up the tears a little...but since I developed this side effect fairly late in my Taxotere treatment, he thought it would be better to let it clear up by itself.

I got them too
    and they lasted well after chemo was over. I used antibacterial eye ointment around the edges of my eyes. This definitely slowed down the leakage while it was one and made the skin around my eyes less sensitive. It is not a cure, just a trick that helped with the inconvenience of it. I hope this helps.
  • jessiesmom1
    jessiesmom1 Member Posts: 915 Member
    Those watery eyes
    Hi Snookums,

I finished with chemo 6 months ago (4 rounds of A/C and 12 rounds of Taxotere) and my eyes still water like a faucet. I dab and wipe at them all day long. It is next to impossible to wear any kind of eye make-up because of this. I finally have a reasonable set of eyelashes but mascara is out for me I think. I went to an opthamologist to see if anything could be done about this problem. He prescribed me some eyedrops called Lotemax. They did no good whatsoever. He said that the watery eyes is a "well known side effect of Taxotere." He went on to say that it will go away eventually but did not hazard a guess as to when that would be. Like you I feel somewhat guilty complaining about this problem when so many of us have much bigger problems to worry about.