second cat scan, help??????

cbecker
cbecker Member Posts: 88
edited March 2014 in Lung Cancer #1
My husband had throat cancer and was cured of that last summer, then this February it spread to his elbow (Bone cancer) that is gone but it also spread to his lungs 12 tumors. They are giving him chemo of cisplatin, taxol and 5FU. A trial study of head and neck squamous cell spreading. He has had 4 treatments. The first lung scan six weeks ago showed one gone and others shrinking. The recent one last Friday, June 20th, no change, not worse not better. Doctor said it is stable. Has anyone ever had this happen? Is is good or bad news? We have to stop the 5FU because it has caused radiation recall on his throat (like beening radiated again). He is on liquids again for the past 5 months. Is this bad what the chemo is doing because there is not a change? Just very worried. Starting this study the doctor said he had at least a 50% of remission (of the treatment working) he cannot be cured. Which I do not understand why if all the tumors would be gone. Can anyone help or has had this happen to their scan? Thanks, cbecker

Comments

• jkeen
    jkeen Member Posts: 33
    Hi my name is Jackie and I have stage 3b lung cancer, I too cannot be cured. I started off with chemo radiation and then more chemo. My scan was stable for five month and now showed activity and now I am back in treatment (chemo). This is what they call living with cancer/palliative treatment, I will never get rid of my cancer but they can make it dormit and stop if from growing or spreading for periods of time. I have known people to live with cancer for 20 years (my aunt) so I/we can too. Keep the faith and be very active in the treatment, read up on different treatments and be proactive. best of luck....Jackie
  • cbecker
    cbecker Member Posts: 88
    jkeen said:

Hi my name is Jackie and I have stage 3b lung cancer, I too cannot be cured. I started off with chemo radiation and then more chemo. My scan was stable for five month and now showed activity and now I am back in treatment (chemo). This is what they call living with cancer/palliative treatment, I will never get rid of my cancer but they can make it dormit and stop if from growing or spreading for periods of time. I have known people to live with cancer for 20 years (my aunt) so I/we can too. Keep the faith and be very active in the treatment, read up on different treatments and be proactive. best of luck....Jackie

Thank you jackie. That makes me feel better. What chemos are you on. My husband is on cisplatin and 5fu and taxol. They took him off 5fu because of it messing up his throat. Believe me I've read up on it and keep reading up on it constantly. And keeping him up. The doctor told him Thursday that he feels this is the best Jim will get. He thought dr was giving him the death sentence but I had a talk and told him that the dr wouldn't keep the treatment going if he felt he may not work. I really think the doctor does not know for sure. Like he said he is not a prophet. He is fighting hard as you are and I will keep you in my prayers. Thanks again, Candy
  • jkeen
    jkeen Member Posts: 33
    cbecker said:

Thank you jackie. That makes me feel better. What chemos are you on. My husband is on cisplatin and 5fu and taxol. They took him off 5fu because of it messing up his throat. Believe me I've read up on it and keep reading up on it constantly. And keeping him up. The doctor told him Thursday that he feels this is the best Jim will get. He thought dr was giving him the death sentence but I had a talk and told him that the dr wouldn't keep the treatment going if he felt he may not work. I really think the doctor does not know for sure. Like he said he is not a prophet. He is fighting hard as you are and I will keep you in my prayers. Thanks again, Candy

Candy, good to hear from you.... I am currently on Gemzar, my first time around I was on Taxol and carbo with radiation in between. I have been lucky so far no problems with my throat or mouth. Tell your husband to keep up the fight and no matter what keep his strength up so he can fight. I will email you to check up on you and to keep in touch, it help tp have someone to talk to and compair notes. Best of luck and God Bless.
    Jackie