Trying to cope

starlight1968
starlight1968 Member Posts: 5
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
I was diagnosed with cancer in October 2002.I was stunned to say the least.My surgery was scheduled for the day before Halloween.I left the hospital and ended up back in there with an infection in my incision.I am just now healed and trying to get back to normal.I am diabetic also so that complicates things.How do you go about putting the pieces of your life back together after a diagnosis of cancer?My cancer was differentiated colonic adenocarcinoma 3.5cm,T3stage2.Im not even sure what that is.Does anyone have any advice?

Comments

• StacyGleaso
    StacyGleaso Member Posts: 1,233 Member
    Hi, and welcome. I too was diagnosed in October, but in 2001. It really is shocking when you are first diagnosed. Never in my wildest dreams could I have imagined this could happen to anyone I know, not to mention me. I have a feeling you may be experiencing the same feelings. It's almost like they're talking about someone else the entire time, not about you. Although everyone is different, the one thing a survivor has is a positive attitude. Regardless of how many times you question why any of this is happening, the true answer will never be found. As you can see by how many people utilize this web site, there is proof that you can get through this. With each test, treatment, and discovery, though, keep your chin up, and give it everything you have. With each obstacle, there is another achievement you can brag about getting through with flying colors. If you feel apprehensive about a particular test or treatment, don't be afraid to question the doctors until you're satisfied.

There will be days when you'll swear that the sun has never been brighter. On those days, the low days won't seem to bother you. In time, you'll learn to appreciate every day, and look at things in a whole new way.

Think of everything you've already been through. It has been a major accomplishment already. Unfortunately, there is still things ahead, but take them as they come. You'll do fine. If you ever need to talk to anyone, feel free to contact me. It'll be two years this October for me, and I'm feeling fine. Everyone here will support you, too. It works out kinda nice that way...

Take care,

Stacy
  • 2bhealed
    2bhealed Member Posts: 2,064 Member
    hello starlight,

with hoping to not sound like a platitude here, you take it one day at a time...that's how you get your life back after a cancer diagnosis. I found there were days when I just had to weep and scream and days when I was just completely and utterly happy that I was alive. I wonder when the fear of reoccurence leaves...does it ever? I resign to the fact that my life will never be the same and trips to Mayo for followup are routine...a fact of life....that my oncologist will see me more than my gynocologist, (and I've had five kids)...and that any little gut ache will bring back fear of a tumor growing.

But it also means that I cherish life more fervently than the average joe, that I chose to look at the positive of things, that I have the freedom to try new things because *I* have survived cancer and nothing can hold me back now! The survivorship becomes power: to say no to extraneous junk that used to take up my time, to caretake myself for a change rather than everyone else, to live life the way I've always wanted to but was too afraid, too busy, too preoccupied, too old, too set in my ways, too whatever excuse.....we get to really live.

Believe it or not, there may come a time when a cancer diagnosis can be counted as a blessing in your life. Give it time.

peace, emily
  • starlight1968
    starlight1968 Member Posts: 5

Hi, and welcome. I too was diagnosed in October, but in 2001. It really is shocking when you are first diagnosed. Never in my wildest dreams could I have imagined this could happen to anyone I know, not to mention me. I have a feeling you may be experiencing the same feelings. It's almost like they're talking about someone else the entire time, not about you. Although everyone is different, the one thing a survivor has is a positive attitude. Regardless of how many times you question why any of this is happening, the true answer will never be found. As you can see by how many people utilize this web site, there is proof that you can get through this. With each test, treatment, and discovery, though, keep your chin up, and give it everything you have. With each obstacle, there is another achievement you can brag about getting through with flying colors. If you feel apprehensive about a particular test or treatment, don't be afraid to question the doctors until you're satisfied.

There will be days when you'll swear that the sun has never been brighter. On those days, the low days won't seem to bother you. In time, you'll learn to appreciate every day, and look at things in a whole new way.

Think of everything you've already been through. It has been a major accomplishment already. Unfortunately, there is still things ahead, but take them as they come. You'll do fine. If you ever need to talk to anyone, feel free to contact me. It'll be two years this October for me, and I'm feeling fine. Everyone here will support you, too. It works out kinda nice that way...

Take care,

Stacy

Thanks Stacy.I really am glad you replied.I need al the support and friends I can get.If you would like to email me my email address is sandyj68@yahoo.com and I would love to have a new friend.How are you doing with your recovery?Hope to hear from you.
    Sandy
  • spongebob
    spongebob Member Posts: 2,565 Member
    Ahoy, Starlight1968 -

Not too much I can add to what Stacy & Emily said. All I would say is that the sun will come up tomorrow and it's up to you to go outside and play or stay in bed. The mere fact that you're a survivor tells me you have a lot going for you.

"All problems become smaller if you don't dodge them. Touch a thistle timidly, and it pricks you; grasp it bodly and its spines crumble." - William Halsey

The thistle is life, Starlight! Carpe Diem! Love it!!

Be well

- Sponge Bob