What comes after chemotherapy?

fandaj
fandaj Member Posts: 81
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
I had surgery for stage II colon cancer on March 20, 2003. So far I have had two chemotheraphy sessions. My chemo will run for four cycles of six weeks each. How often will I need check-ups when that is over? What kind of check-ups. My gastroenterolgist says I should have a colonoscopy six months after surgery and then once a year after that. Does this sound typical? Anything else I should know? Thanks for any information.

Comments

• iloveron
    iloveron Member Posts: 11
    I'd recommend a CAT scan after chemo or better still a PET scan. Do everything healthy, eat, sleep, drink, play! But be wise, get the follow up and the scans. My best wishes,
  • ron50
    ron50 Member Posts: 1,723 Member
    Hi Fan , hope things are going well. I had a scope after chemo and one every year for vfour years . During that time they removed one small polyp. I had a ct scan at the end of chemo and one at four years ,my surgeon doesn't like scans he says they are the equivalent of around 5-600 xrays and aren't real good for you . I had three monthly checks for the first three years then six monthly. These were in conjunction with blood tests for CEA and Ca19 . At five years and three mos I was told that I was clear and cured. I'm sure that you will also be happy with that schedule. particularly the last bit. A word of warning once chemo finishes you will feel adrift as you suddenly go from active treatment to waiting and watching try not to let it get to you .Good luck Ron
  • ron50
    Hi Fan , hope things are going well. I had a scope after chemo and one every year for vfour years . During that time they removed one small polyp. I had a ct scan at the end of chemo and one at four years ,my surgeon doesn't like scans he says they are the equivalent of around 5-600 xrays and aren't real good for you . I had three monthly checks for the first three years then six monthly. These were in conjunction with blood tests for CEA and Ca19 . At five years and three mos I was told that I was clear and cured. I'm sure that you will also be happy with that schedule. particularly the last bit. A word of warning once chemo finishes you will feel adrift as you suddenly go from active treatment to waiting and watching try not to let it get to you .Good luck Ron
  • ron50
    ron50 said:

ps sorry about the double up got an error message when I posted ron