2 yrs and still sick

sandnsun
sandnsun Member Posts: 5
Hi everyone, I am new to this site. I just celebrated my 2 years yesterday of my last chemo - CVP/R. I am still sick. I fight EVERYDAY with nausea, fatigue and loss of appatite. Is anyone else having this problem. I go every 3 months for testing. The last (30 days ago) showed good blood but am loosing weight agian. I started at diagnosis at 95 lbs in 10/00, dropped to 87 lbs when "V" in 1st treatment shut my internal systems down. Med Dr's say I'm over stressed and send me to the shrink. THe shrink says I'm okay and need to see the med Dr. Okay...... Now 2 yrs later I am so tired of this. Is anyone taking anything to help with this. Please email me @ sandram@hawaii.rr.com and I will keep checking the board.
God Bless
San

Comments

• railroad
    railroad Member Posts: 22
    You might talk to your doctor about smoking pot.It is supposed to help nausea and give you the "munchies"--making you hungry.The when you're hungry eat high energy foods(protiens,fruits,veggies)to recover faster.I'm no doctor--just throwing out an idea.Best of luck.RR
  • Mikeswife
    Mikeswife Member Posts: 3
    railroad said:

You might talk to your doctor about smoking pot.It is supposed to help nausea and give you the "munchies"--making you hungry.The when you're hungry eat high energy foods(protiens,fruits,veggies)to recover faster.I'm no doctor--just throwing out an idea.Best of luck.RR

My husband is feeling the same way you do. Always tired doesn't want to eat losing weight and he is still sick. He was dianosed with NHL a little over a year and the doctor still is given him chemo. He's a good doctor but he is fast giving up hope. Our next step will be to contact the America Cancer treatment center in Seattle Washington they do have alturnative treatments. Maybe they can help you too.
  • sdeselle
    sdeselle Member Posts: 19
    San,
    Sounds like something is wrong. Have you considered seeing another oncologist, and getting a 2nd (or 3rd) opinion?
    My first onc. sure didn't have the right answers.
    -Scott
  • sandnsun
    sdeselle said:

San,
    Sounds like something is wrong. Have you considered seeing another oncologist, and getting a 2nd (or 3rd) opinion?
    My first onc. sure didn't have the right answers.
    -Scott

Hi Scott,
    Thanks for replying. Yes, I am on my 3rd doctor and have seen 2 shrinks. I am thinking of trying Pot, Hawaii is one of 8 states that have medical laws and also state protection laws. I go in June for my next check-up and will demand answers!!!
    God Bless,
    San
  • sandnsun
    Mikeswife said:

My husband is feeling the same way you do. Always tired doesn't want to eat losing weight and he is still sick. He was dianosed with NHL a little over a year and the doctor still is given him chemo. He's a good doctor but he is fast giving up hope. Our next step will be to contact the America Cancer treatment center in Seattle Washington they do have alturnative treatments. Maybe they can help you too.

Hi Mike's Wife,
    I live in Hawaii now but lived in Seattle when I was diagnosed and got treatment. (it took 8 months for me to get up and literally moving to HI when my chemo was done, had to fill my spirit!!) My onc was Dr. Bruce Mathey at Evergreen Cancer Center in Kirkland. What a team! I had the onc, a naturalopathic, a pharmacist and a nurse. I was his 1st patient to have Rituxan. My dad calls it the Silver Bullet, what treatment is Mike having? Where is he going? I had a hard time with finding treatment cause I was self-diagnosing (my brother has cancer and I knew the symptoms), I had no referral and no insurance. Dr. Mathey and his staff were my angels!!! Here are a few other places you might want to try - Fred Hutchinson Center, Swedish Hospital and University of Washington Medical Center. All of these places give me the warm fuzzies as I know someone or have a connection to someone that has received treatment at each place. Seattle is an incredible medical community, do you live there? If I am out of remission my current onc (thought to be the best in Hawaii) is going to do Rituxan again. I had it as well as CVP 1st time around. Baring that the next step is back to Seattle for a cell transplant. I have heard of the center you are referring to but have no experience to help you with. Please let me know what you find out. I will keep Mike in my Prayers. God bless and keep you both.
    San
  • terryf
    terryf Member Posts: 1
    Dear San, Hi I am new to this forum. Saw your message. I am a caregiver to my wife. She was dx with NHL back in July of last year, recieved 8 treatments of CHOP+Rituxan & is now on a 2 yr. maint. with just Rituxan.(Clinical Study we signed up for) According to onc, she is in remission. She has been off chemo just over a month & still feels sick quite often. Appetite is not good. She is still in a great deal of pain and in a deep deep depression. She is on Zoloft for the depression & Tylox,Valium,& Duragest patch for pain. Now for the nausea she is taking a 5mg MARINOL once a day, as needed. The MARINOL (derivative of POT,but in pill form) seems to check her nausea quickly and helps somewhat with her appetite. You might want to try Cream of Wheat to help keep your blood count good...she eats a daily regiment of the stuff...this I believe helped her get off the Procrit shots. You like her probably don't need shrinks. Just having cancer and the meds and the "what ifs" worries involved are enough to put ANY sain person up to & over the edge. Hang in there...keep the faith...try to get active outwardly in something to get your mind off how bad you feel...You WILL get better...she WILL get better..I know in my heart. Good Luck...and GOD Bless You..............Terry