how to gain weight

amberg
amberg Member Posts: 16
edited March 2014 in Lung Cancer #1
Does anyone have any tips for getting my dad to gain weight. He has lung cancer and is skin and bones from all of this. I need some sort of idea to get him to eat. He looks bad but is still kicking. Thanks for your time!

Comments

• tomsbc
    tomsbc Member Posts: 19
    Have you tried making milkshakes with the food supplements (nutrigina ? etc.) as one of the ingredients.
    tomsbc
  • amberg
    tomsbc said:

Have you tried making milkshakes with the food supplements (nutrigina ? etc.) as one of the ingredients.
    tomsbc

I've tried milkshakes but he will drink it sometimes and sometimes not. I will try some of the nutrigina. Never heard of it. Thanks!
  • bobz1
    bobz1 Member Posts: 50
    Go to the drug store, get som Ensure (comes in 3 flavors) put his favort ice cream in it. Also get him to eat Baked potatos, with all te fixins. Then make sure he has his favorate foods 4 times a day. Not a whole lot, just what he can eat. That should get something going.
  • amberg
    bobz1 said:

Go to the drug store, get som Ensure (comes in 3 flavors) put his favort ice cream in it. Also get him to eat Baked potatos, with all te fixins. Then make sure he has his favorate foods 4 times a day. Not a whole lot, just what he can eat. That should get something going.

I will try that. Thanks
  • KyRambler
    KyRambler Member Posts: 9
    Sorry to hear about your dad.

I had lung cancer that went to the bone in ny right leg. I had surgery on it to insert a steel rod to reenforce the bone. After surgery I had lost weight. I had no appitite and nothing tasted good. After about 6 weeks I asked my doctor for something for my appitite. He prescribed "MEGESTROL ORAL". It worked. I regained my appitite and food started to taste good again. I also gained some weight.

bobz1 suggested Ensure. I also tried them. They also helped.
  • simplytulips
    simplytulips Member Posts: 1
    I had a question.. My father has been diagnosed with stage 4 of the lung cancer.. We've tried making smoothies, giving him ensure, soft potatoes, all kinds of liquid drinks.. we've tried everything.. yet he says that the food just wont go through his throat.. WHat can we do about this? He's all bones and I'll very concerned.
  • amberg

I had a question.. My father has been diagnosed with stage 4 of the lung cancer.. We've tried making smoothies, giving him ensure, soft potatoes, all kinds of liquid drinks.. we've tried everything.. yet he says that the food just wont go through his throat.. WHat can we do about this? He's all bones and I'll very concerned.

That's for that medicine tip. I called my mom and told her to ask the doctor for it. Maybe this medicine will help. Hope so, nothing else seems to be. I appreciate all of you so much!
  • RER
    RER Member Posts: 3
    Has your father discussed Hydrazien Sulfate with your father?

If he hasn't mention it to him as a legally available drug with proven results with the lung cancer pantients.

If you want more comprehensive data, I can give you substantial links.

Please feel free to email me at your conveninece. It has had many great results with those wating away from this disease.

Best,
    Maura Elizabeth
  • MrBones
    MrBones Member Posts: 1
    Thank you all for the information. I'll try everything and anything to be able to eat again.
  • rosie43539
    rosie43539 Member Posts: 55
    amberg, my husband has stage 4 Renal cell cancer and in the past 11 months he has lost over 60 pounds. I found a wonderful recipe for a protien shake. No vitamin or mineral taste, has lots of protein to help build muscle tissue. 3 scoops vanilla ice cream, 1/2 to 2/3 cup of whole milk, 1/4 cup of powdered milk, and flavoring of choice, blend until smooth. A good way to add about 8 more grams of protein is to add 2 TBSP of peanut butter for the flavoring. It taste great. Ny husband always has to share with our grandchildren ages 2 & 4. Hope your Dad is doing better. God bless you.
  • amberg

amberg, my husband has stage 4 Renal cell cancer and in the past 11 months he has lost over 60 pounds. I found a wonderful recipe for a protien shake. No vitamin or mineral taste, has lots of protein to help build muscle tissue. 3 scoops vanilla ice cream, 1/2 to 2/3 cup of whole milk, 1/4 cup of powdered milk, and flavoring of choice, blend until smooth. A good way to add about 8 more grams of protein is to add 2 TBSP of peanut butter for the flavoring. It taste great. Ny husband always has to share with our grandchildren ages 2 & 4. Hope your Dad is doing better. God bless you.

Thank you so much!!! I told him about the MEGESTROL ORAL medicine. He tryed it and says it hurts his stomach and won't take it. Hopefully today the doctor wil put him on steroids. Maybe that will help. God bless and thank you so much.