2 weeks and waiting

mboneal
mboneal Member Posts: 9
edited March 2014 in Prostate Cancer #1
My husband is 51 and diagnosed on 2-17-03. Surgery is scheduled for rad pros on 4-9. All his pre testing (bone scan, ct, pelvic, chest) have all been excellent. No evidence of any spreading. After reading several pages I wanted to thank you for enlightening me in several areas! But I would also like for some to explain the kegel exercise or sphincter clinching, so I can tell him about it right away. This is by far one of his greatest fears. Thank you so much and I am so glad I found this sight!

Comments

• rogermoore
    rogermoore Member Posts: 264 Member
    Mboneal,

I know the anticipation you and your husband are coping with during this period. I had an even longer wait. It is wonderful that all tests indicate no spreading beyond the prostate. I was 58 when I had my RPS exactly two years ago. The Kegle exercise is the tightening of abdominal muscles as if stopping urination in mid-stream. He should do this ftequently prior to surgery, so that it will eventually become second nature. A good publication that explains this, as well as other effects during recovery is "Prostate Cancer" A Family Guide to Diagnosis, Treatment & Survival by Sheldon Marks, MD.

I wish you both the best during this time of stress. If you have any other concerns please don't hesitate to post your questions on this site or e-mail me directly. My e-mail address is in my profile as well as my experiences during recovery.

Roger
  • johhug
    johhug Member Posts: 5
    I had my surgery in mid-august after a six week wait. I sympathize. As mentioned in the other reply, kegle exercise is the tightening of the sphincter mucsle so as to interupt the flow of urine. The way to learn which muscle to tighten, is to stop the stream during urination so that you learn to isolate the muscle. I am still having problems with incontinence, but is is getting better. The doc said that with some men the incontinence is gone a few weeks after catheter removal, others a few months, and others longer and possibly never. I found and recommend the following in addition to stopping the stream during urination: After the catheter has been removed and you feel up to it, twice daily, stand over the open toilette, squeeze the sphincter muscle for 10 seconds, rest for ten seconds and allow any leakage to happen, squeeze for ten seconds, ... until you have squeezed the muscle 15 times, ie do it for five minutes. Next squeeze for one second, relax for one second, squeeze for one second,..., ten repetitions, then relax for 10 seconds, then repeat the one second squeeze/one second relax 10 times for two more repetitions. This teaches you to have better control over the sphincter and better control the leakage. It may take several months or if lucky a few weeks.

Best of luck.

John
  • johhug
    johhug Member Posts: 5
    I was thinking about your husband's upcoming surgery and thought of some things I would have like to have known. Recommend the epidural (sp) for pain control while in the hospital. The only problems I had were with a very sore throat due to the anethesiologist. While in the hospital I started a maigraine, all the normal, classic symptoms, but when the headache should have started, nothing, no pain. When I left the hospital, the one thing they did not tell me was to take a full dosage of the pain medication, because you are leaving the hospital pain control. Thank goodness my daughter was working for a physician couple and they told her, and she called and told me!

Again, best wishes, and I hope everything goes well and the recovery is easy and complete.

John
  • gryckman
    gryckman Member Posts: 2
    hello . My name is gloria and my husband hasd prostate removed the 8th of oct. Would love to talk to you .
  • mboneal
    mboneal Member Posts: 9
    gryckman said:

hello . My name is gloria and my husband hasd prostate removed the 8th of oct. Would love to talk to you .

Gloria, As you can probably tell I am new to this web sight and am not for sure how to get in direct contact with you. My e-mail address is
    mboneal1@earthlink.net
    I would also love to talk with you! Gary had his surgery last Wednesday and so far has done great. Please e-mail me so we can get intouch. Thanks
    Mary
  • superglide7974
    superglide7974 Member Posts: 3
    u may want to ask about a surel nerve graft to replace any nerve they can't spare