Frustrated and Angry

JRK
JRK Member Posts: 3
edited March 2014 in Thyroid Cancer #1
Hello everyone, my name is "JR" and I am new to the concept of cancer. This is something which is not normally found within my family. I am frustrated and angry that this has happened to me and looking for other people to help me get through this. In talking with my doctor, she informs me that the road will be difficult but the cure rate is high. I am not sure what to believe.

If there is anyone out there who can help me get through this or better understand why me, I would greatly appreciate it.

Comments

• jhelms
    jhelms Member Posts: 3
    Your feelings are completely normal. I know that doesn't make you feel any better. I also felt the same way. Why me? I am good to old people, kids, and animals so why does something so bad have to happen to someone not so bad? We have all been there. I went through anger, disbelief, sadness, flustration, and about a million other emotions. I am currently two years out from my cancer diagnosis and cancer free. I had Thyroid Cancer at age 33. You have to take this and make something positive out of it. Only you can figure out what that is going to be. I am currently chairing our American Cancer Society Relay for Life in our town. It is how I fight this terrible thing. CANCER! I even hate the sound of the word, it is so ugly. Become an American Cancer Society Volunteer. I will help them raise money forever because one day we will have a cure. Also please try to keep a good sense of humor and a good attitude. They are also my part of my battle gear. That is how I survived and how I will continue to survive. I also prayed A LOT!! If God brings you to it he will bring you through it. You have to believe that even though it may be hard for you to right now. The last advice I want to give you is educate yourself. Not all doctors are experts on cancer. There are some wonderful doctors out there but there are also some that do not know what they are doing or are they willing to admit it. If you already know what to expect before the doctor tells you what he/she is going to do then you can trust them more it their treament of your cancer is the most common you have read about. At least you will they are on the right track. Please keep your chin up and I will pray for your remission.
  • JRK
    jhelms said:

Your feelings are completely normal. I know that doesn't make you feel any better. I also felt the same way. Why me? I am good to old people, kids, and animals so why does something so bad have to happen to someone not so bad? We have all been there. I went through anger, disbelief, sadness, flustration, and about a million other emotions. I am currently two years out from my cancer diagnosis and cancer free. I had Thyroid Cancer at age 33. You have to take this and make something positive out of it. Only you can figure out what that is going to be. I am currently chairing our American Cancer Society Relay for Life in our town. It is how I fight this terrible thing. CANCER! I even hate the sound of the word, it is so ugly. Become an American Cancer Society Volunteer. I will help them raise money forever because one day we will have a cure. Also please try to keep a good sense of humor and a good attitude. They are also my part of my battle gear. That is how I survived and how I will continue to survive. I also prayed A LOT!! If God brings you to it he will bring you through it. You have to believe that even though it may be hard for you to right now. The last advice I want to give you is educate yourself. Not all doctors are experts on cancer. There are some wonderful doctors out there but there are also some that do not know what they are doing or are they willing to admit it. If you already know what to expect before the doctor tells you what he/she is going to do then you can trust them more it their treament of your cancer is the most common you have read about. At least you will they are on the right track. Please keep your chin up and I will pray for your remission.

Thank you for that word of encouragement. At 47, I know that things happen and that we have little if any control. Most of all I do pray alot and place my trust in the man upstairs and not in the doctors that I work with. I am beginning the next stage of this thing which had taken posession of my body. I am scheduled for a full body iodine radioactive therpy. Am not looking forward to it but know this this the first step. Again, thanks for the work of encouragement and your prayers. They are both greatly appreciated.
  • candy51503
    candy51503 Member Posts: 2
    I CAN RELATE TO YOUR PROBLEM. I AM THE ONLY ONE IN MY FAMILY THAT HAS HAD CANCER OF ANY KIND.YES, IT IS DIFFICLUT AND LONG HAUL. I WAS 17 YEARS OLD WHEN I HAD THYROID CANCER. I AM NOW 43 YEARS OLD. I HAVE 3 KIDS THAT THEY TOLD ME I WOULD NEVER HAVE. HOPE THIS HELPS
  • JRK

I CAN RELATE TO YOUR PROBLEM. I AM THE ONLY ONE IN MY FAMILY THAT HAS HAD CANCER OF ANY KIND.YES, IT IS DIFFICLUT AND LONG HAUL. I WAS 17 YEARS OLD WHEN I HAD THYROID CANCER. I AM NOW 43 YEARS OLD. I HAVE 3 KIDS THAT THEY TOLD ME I WOULD NEVER HAVE. HOPE THIS HELPS

Candy51503.....Thank you very much for the words of encouragement. I guess though that I am curious as to the long term effects of having this type of cancer. Since you had it 26 years ago and been taking medication since then. Does one ever get over the feeling of being tired and weight fluxuation? I gained 60 pounds in the first 2 weeks and that is with minimal eating.
  • beverly77
    beverly77 Member Posts: 5
    It's been 19 years for me. I never ask 'why me' but did lots of 'poor me's':) I had a 9 month old at the time so this was very hard to handle. I was also told of the good cure rate and this did help me every night while I would rock my baby to sleep and wonder what of his life I would get to see ....... well, here I am!! I think that even though someone is telling you of how you will be fine ... it's only normal to be crazy with worry during this! I took radiation after 3 operations on mine and did fine. So much of the bad things that I went through, besides the radiation, was from my thyroid itself and not the cancer. Don't you worry, you'll be on here in 19 years telling someone else that they will be fine:)))))))) Good luck to you JR!! bev