New memeber

steveg
steveg Member Posts: 2
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Hello All,
I am a new member and was delighted to find this discussion group. I have read all of your messages and have taken encouragement from them as well as enlightenment. I was diagnosed in January 2002 and I am just four weeks out of treatment for stage 2 anal cancer. I too had the terrible burns from the radiation and was sick from the chemo. I healed very quickly from the burns but I suffer from fatigue now. I have started back to work part time and was doing very well until this week when I began feeling weak and tired again. I guess my question is how long can I expect the fatigue to continue. I am a 51 year old male who has enjoyed relatively good health before this. I am so tired of being so tired. I want to feel normal again. I welcome any comments you may have to offer.

Steve

Comments

• shirleyj23
    shirleyj23 Member Posts: 3
    Hi Steve: I was diagnosed in 2000 and had my chemo and radiation the summer of 2000. It is hard to judge how long the fatigue will last - you are quite young and hopefully will bounce back rapidly. I am 79 years old, I go to an exercise class twice a week (for seniors) and also try to do some walking.
    Steve I think it is important to eat well - a balanced diet and perhaps take vitamins.
    Have you talked to your Doctor about the fatigue? Perhaps you are pushing things at work. Two weeks after I was diagnosed my husband suddenly passed away. I really suffered more from depression than fatigue, I think. I was on medication for a short time, and that helped a lot. Usually I have to push myself to do things.
    I know what you mean about being tired of being tired!!!!
    Hang in there, Steve - it will get better.

Shirley
  • wystful
    wystful Member Posts: 1
    Steve, I was diagnosed in March 2002 and I am 10 days past treatment. I understand about the fatigue. I keep doing an inventory of how I feel in an attempt to be aware of normal fatigue and depression. Treatment for this cancer is very difficult and others may compare it with radiation for breast cancer... well that is definitely comparing apples and oranges. It is good to know that others understand. Eating small healthy meals 5 times a day and getting to bed at the same time each night has helped me. Some days I have more energy than others. My biggest challenge now is waiting for the oncologist to check the tumor. Blessings.
  • steveg
    steveg Member Posts: 2
    wystful said:

Steve, I was diagnosed in March 2002 and I am 10 days past treatment. I understand about the fatigue. I keep doing an inventory of how I feel in an attempt to be aware of normal fatigue and depression. Treatment for this cancer is very difficult and others may compare it with radiation for breast cancer... well that is definitely comparing apples and oranges. It is good to know that others understand. Eating small healthy meals 5 times a day and getting to bed at the same time each night has helped me. Some days I have more energy than others. My biggest challenge now is waiting for the oncologist to check the tumor. Blessings.

Wystful, Thanks for the reply. Sorry for the long delay, but I have been away from home for the past week to attend a business conference. You could correctly assume from this that I am feeling better. Attending this conference had been a goal of mine ever since I was diagnosed. My fatigue has been much reduced in the past 3 or 4 weeks. I had been working half days prior to the trip. I did well for the most part however there were a couple of times when I "hit the wall" and was just exhausted. This doesn't happen often anymore, but there are times when I've overdone it and I end up paying the price. All in all, I am feeling better everyday. It is good to get back to my regular routine. I have had my first post-treatment exam which was very encouraging; my tumnor being significantly reduced. My next exam will be with a colorectal surgeon on June 13. I am optimistic. Good luck to you. I'll be interested to hear how your exam goes.
  • MelC
    MelC Member Posts: 5
    Steve,
    I would imagine you are not such a new member now. I hope this mesages finds you well. It seems it has been a while since you posted a message on the ACS website.

I am curious as to how life is going for you now? Would you prefer not to talk about it or does it help to talk?

I was diagnosed in Sept 02, completed my treatments 1 month ago(chemo and radiation) and I now await the results of the therapy. I will have CT scan this week along with a scope. Emotions are the challenge at this point and I would be welcome to any suggestions. Because I am female, the chemo drugs pushed me into menopause so I am dealing with that as well. I am sure this will account for some of the ups and downs.

Did you attend any local support groups or see a therapist to help you through the emotions? Thanks for reading, Mel