hodgkin's survivor

cancerfreefor3
cancerfreefor3 Member Posts: 1
hi everybody, I'm Erin, I'm new here so I thought I'd tell everyone a little about myself. I'm 17 right now, I'll be 18 in Sept. I was diagnosed when I was 14 years old (8th grade). I had three intense rounds of chemo therapy and 14 radiation treatments. I was pretty lucky considering my entire therapy only lasted a little over 3 months and I only had to have one blood transfusion throughout the whole ordeal. My three year anniversary is coming up here pretty soon. I went for one of my 6 month check-ups a couple weeks ago and the scans all looked good. The only problem I'm having now is the energy level. I still haven't fully gotten it back. When I went to the doctor last he checked my thyroid and I guess I have a horomone that's too high or something to that affect so I have to go back next week and have it checked again. I'm still a little unsure of what it all means but atleast the cancer isn't back!! Well I guess that's about it for me!

Comments

• misfit
    misfit Member Posts: 2
    HI Erin, I am also new here. I am in my mid 50s and am a 17 year survivor of hodgkins. I was treated with whole body radiation which lead to my survival; however, I have spent the last 17 years in the throws of what you just described. I had no one to comunicate with at all. Years ago, being a survivor was one of those skeltons you kept in the closet; only your doctors knew. I am sure that in the 1980s even they were not concerned with the after effects of treatments only survival rates and numbers were important. There is now a number of us who are long term survivors and have had to live (longer than 5 years) with the effects of our particular treatments. I am trying to connect with others like myself and make a collective voice to either find out what is known and what is being done on the research front for our unusual problems. After the survival of the disease comes the survival of the cure. In the 17 years post cancer I have had many hurdles in the energy, health, mental and overall physical continuity. Just now I am beginning to learn of research findings that have validated my roller coaster life. I see in the future doctors who specialize in the treatment of cancer survivials. Oh, congratulations on your survival of the treatments. That takes a lot of physical and mental strengths and stands to prove that you are special.
  • adcox
    adcox Member Posts: 3
    Hi Erin,

Happy Anniversary! Glad to hear it. My name is Lisa and I have been
    cancer free for 7 years. I can't imagine being as young as you were with cancer. You are a brave young woman. Stay positive.
  • yazmene
    yazmene Member Posts: 6
    just wanted you to know that i am a 25 yr old hodgkins survovor (1 yr) and as of the summer of 2003 my older sister will be a 5 yr hodgkins survivor...so hang in there, it is one of the most curable cancers! if you need to talk again about side effect do not hesitate to contact me at stacy_schumacher@hotmail.com
    It will benefit me as well as you; this **** is hard to go through
  • marilyn807
    marilyn807 Member Posts: 2
    yazmene said:

just wanted you to know that i am a 25 yr old hodgkins survovor (1 yr) and as of the summer of 2003 my older sister will be a 5 yr hodgkins survivor...so hang in there, it is one of the most curable cancers! if you need to talk again about side effect do not hesitate to contact me at stacy_schumacher@hotmail.com
    It will benefit me as well as you; this **** is hard to go through

HELLO I AM 29 YEARS OLD I WAS DIAGNOSED AT THE AGE OF 27 THIS AUGUST I WILL BE A TWO YEAR SURVIVOR, I STILL DONT HAVE THE ENERGY THAT I HAD BEFORE I HAD 12 CHEMO TREATMENTS AND 23 RADAITION TREATMENTS. EVERY TIME I GO TO THE DOCTOR FOR CAT SCAN RESULTS I AM SCARED AND THEN SO RELIEVED WHEN HE TELLS ME EVERYTHING IS GREAT. CONGRADULATIONS TO YOU AND YOUR SISTER.