Sciatic pain following radiation?

lauri
lauri Member Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
I am writing for my mom. She was diagnosed with colon cancer in May; she underwent chemo and radiation and had the tumor removed in August. Following that, she has pretty much recovered from that procedure, but for the last six weeks she has been suffering from bilateral sciatic pain. She has a high pain tolerance and did amazingly well following the abdominal surgery, but this pain in both her hips and radiating down into her legs is just about overcoming her. She has even resorted to seeing a chiropractor, which as a retired R.N., she never thought chiropractors were "part of the profession." Nevertheless, just to let you know how desperate she has become in trying to deal with this pain that keeps her from being able to move around very well at all. She talked to the doctors, and they don't seem to think that radiation had anything to do with this sciatic pain she has, although the radiation was directed through her hips. They may be right, but I told my mom I would see if anyone else out there had suffered like this or might know anything more about it. She is 70 years old and pretty desperate. Although the only meds. she is taking now are ibuprofen, she does have an appt. to see her doctor to see if he can give her any stronger type of medication. If anyone has heard of nerve pain following radiation or had a similar response or knows of one, please contact me. Thanks, Lauri Patterson

Comments

• kickerrn
    kickerrn Member Posts: 22 Member
    Lauri
    I am a 38 yr old with colorectal cancer. I had radiation in Dec. prior to my surgery and the worst effect I got from the radiation was hip pain. I don't have sciatic pain though. I was told that this was a side effect of the radiation especially if you have an old ache or pain in that area. I find light heat applied to the hips helps.
    Barb
  • dont
    dont Member Posts: 8
    kickerrn said:

Lauri
    I am a 38 yr old with colorectal cancer. I had radiation in Dec. prior to my surgery and the worst effect I got from the radiation was hip pain. I don't have sciatic pain though. I was told that this was a side effect of the radiation especially if you have an old ache or pain in that area. I find light heat applied to the hips helps.
    Barb

LAURI:
    I AM A 57 YEAR OLD COLORECTAL CANCER PATIENT,I HAD SURGERY IN JULY OF 2000,FOLLOWED BY CHEMO THERAPY FOR 6 WEEKS.SINCE IT WAS STAGE 4,I HAD 30 DAYS OF CONTINUOUS INFUSION OF 5-FU AND RADIATION EVERY DAY EXCEPT WEEKENDS AND THANKSGIVING DAY.
    I TOO HAVE HIP PAIN,BUT I NEVER CONNECTED IT WITH THE RADIATION,UNTIL I READ THIS DISCUSSION. I WAS GIVEN ABOUT 18 SECONDS EXPOSURE FROM MY LEFT SIDE,RIGHT SIDE AND BACK SIDE,A TOTAL DAILY OF 55 TO 60 SECONDS.
    AS I RECALL IT DID BECOME INCREASINGLY DIFFICULT TO LAY FACE DOWN ON THE TABLE.
    THANKS FOR YOUR INFORMATION.
    CELLIBREX I TAKE DAILY \DOES HELP.
  • lkarras
    lkarras Member Posts: 1
    dont said:

LAURI:
    I AM A 57 YEAR OLD COLORECTAL CANCER PATIENT,I HAD SURGERY IN JULY OF 2000,FOLLOWED BY CHEMO THERAPY FOR 6 WEEKS.SINCE IT WAS STAGE 4,I HAD 30 DAYS OF CONTINUOUS INFUSION OF 5-FU AND RADIATION EVERY DAY EXCEPT WEEKENDS AND THANKSGIVING DAY.
    I TOO HAVE HIP PAIN,BUT I NEVER CONNECTED IT WITH THE RADIATION,UNTIL I READ THIS DISCUSSION. I WAS GIVEN ABOUT 18 SECONDS EXPOSURE FROM MY LEFT SIDE,RIGHT SIDE AND BACK SIDE,A TOTAL DAILY OF 55 TO 60 SECONDS.
    AS I RECALL IT DID BECOME INCREASINGLY DIFFICULT TO LAY FACE DOWN ON THE TABLE.
    THANKS FOR YOUR INFORMATION.
    CELLIBREX I TAKE DAILY \DOES HELP.

hello, In july 2001 my mom 58 y.o had a tumor size of a lemon removed from her colon 9/13 lymph nodes positive. Her oncologist started her on 5FU and my mom complained about a severe pain in her leg. My mother could not sit, stand, lay down (it was a mess) well finally she had a scan done and her doctor said that she had arthritis and bad reaction to radiation. Well, the pain kept on getting worse so thank God she had another scan a month later (November) So, they found a tumor in her left hip and one on her liver. We were freaking out, so I took her to two other opinions and another group of doctors told us that 5FU chemo was not agressive enough to treat her type of cancer. Then in January 2002 my mom started Campostar and a trial medication called Thalimide. In March she had a scan done and her oncologist said she is responding well to her treatment and her tumor is shrinking on her liver. Also, he started her on morphine and took her off of that and put her on a different medication. Because, her pain is tolerable now.
    So she has another scan tomorrow 4/23 and we have faith that she is going to do great.
    My mother and I are so close I feel like I have cancer with her. But, my mom and I understand that everyone has burdens in their life and it will either bring you close to God or pull you away. My point is we have a lot of faith and I know that my mother is healed. So, I hope this information helps you.