How to deal with shock of diagnosis

CelesteM
CelesteM Member Posts: 1 Member

I’m newly diagnosed with advanced uterine and ovarian cancer. I had a full hysterectomy but there is some small nodules of cancer left. I’ll have to do 6 rounds of chemo. I can deal with a go-forward treatment.

I don’t know how to reconcile that I feel good, but apparently my body is sick. How do you deal with the fear and still have a normal day to day? I feel like maybe I just need to schedule a time each week to devote to focusing on it. I’d like to have as normal an existence as possible and thinking about it all the time just doesn’t help have a good mental attitude.

any tips for reconciling the existential with wanting normality?

Comments

• NoTimeForCancer
    NoTimeForCancer Member Posts: 3,471 Member
    edited September 14 #2

(Oops - edited the post to add I am a visitor from the Uterine page. Like to check in on the other gyn cancer warriors)

CelesteM, I wish I had an answer for you. I am coming up on 12 years out and it took a lot of time to wrap my head around it.

I do like your idea of setting aside time to devote on you. After all my treatment a woman at work was offering yoga. It was a nice, introductory level, but the focus on relaxing and breathing was very helpful for me. I would love to hear what you are doing for you.

• beth2924
    beth2924 Member Posts: 29 Member

Celeste M,

That's the $64,000,000 question! First, prepare for a new normal, and don't get stuck trying to keep things the same. Everything is different now. That said, obviously, do as much of your routine as you want/can. You will hear this a million times, I did and hated it for the first 900,000: Everyone is different. Cancer, treatment, and recovery aren't going to be the same for you as for anyone else. I love the idea of setting aside time to reflect and not obsess all the time. In my case, I journal before bed- things I want to remember to look up or check, good things, bad things, fears, etc. It's also where I keep a list of my side effects. I'm 7 months in and still every once in a while I'll turn to my husband and say, I can't believe I have cancer. It's still hard to accept, but like you, we are moving forward.

Beth

• birdwatcher
    birdwatcher Member Posts: 1 Member

Hi, Celeste,

I have recurrent Ovarian Cancer that has spread to lymph nodes; my initial diagnosis of stage III was in 2016. Right now I have no symptoms so am enjoying a "treatment holiday" while my Oncology team keeps me on 2-3 month surveillance. I also struggle to balance feeling good in the day to day, whilst knowing that my time here is limited. I prepared information for my family on what to do when the time comes, and let them know where it is. I take care of myself as best I can, and strive to stay connected to friends, enjoy life, and focus on savoring my days. When my checkups come up, then I focus on whatever I need to do or research.

This isn't easy to achieve but I try to allow myself a few minutes of worry, then move on to my life. For now, I'm still here!

Best wishes,

Judy