Pads

Wheel
Wheel Member Posts: 99 Member

Do pads get definitely noticeably wet in the beginning or could you be unsure if you are leaking much?

Comments

• Marlon
    Marlon Member Posts: 74 Member
    edited August 27 #2

Mine were soaked at the beginning, gradually decreasing. After 7 weeks I still need to change during the day, more for comfort, not because they're soaked. I am dry overnight, because gravity helps retention. If you're holding well just after surgery you're lucky.

• Wheel

Marlon, So far it is looking pretty good, but after the two ER visits it was time for something to go in my direction. Don’t know if you saw my post to you in the last thread 50 hours out of surgery.

• Clevelandguy
    Clevelandguy Member Posts: 1,135 Member

Hi,

I used the maximum absorbent pads for a few weeks then switched to a light pad after that. Most people do leak more in the beginning but improve over time. Nobody heals at the same rate so it’s hard to predict when your leakage will improve.

Dave 3+4

• Wheel

Dave

after my ER hiccups if a little leakage is my problem I will take it.

• HerndonBoy
    HerndonBoy Member Posts: 3 Member

While the catheter was in, the overnight bag was full to the brim in the morning. The catheter came out just one day ago. The pads didn’t come close to holding it. Now I have to put absorbent protectors on the bed and switch to overnight pads. Guess I should have thought of that.

• Wheel

Herndon,

I know with the catheter out they still want you to drink plenty of water, but maybe you can reduce your intake closer to bedtime. Another approach at night is not the pads but the Depends. They are in essence a diaper, but come in a charcoal color they don’t have that appearance. They seem more like underwear, very comfortable to wear at night.

• Steve1961
    Steve1961 Member Posts: 599 Member

Been leaking really bad for five months. This is what I do. I wear depends absorbent underwear with a pad inside of it and then my under on the outside of that seems to work really well.

• Josephg
    Josephg Member Posts: 434 Member

If anyone is changing 'pad' more than once per day, they should be wearing full 'Depends'. To me, the stigma associated with wearing full Depends (and it is real) is far outweighed by the mental strain and uncertainly associated with having a pad leak in the middle of the day, particularly if you are at a friend's house and you leak on their furniture. Trust me, as I know from personal experience.

Get used to wearing Depends for as long as necessary, and free your mind of needless anxieties. You will know when the time comes to stop wearing them.

• Wheel

Well said!

• Marlon

Yes, they make life easier. It's been an experience trying to work out the right combination of depends, pads, liner, underwear, etc., to suit the activity. But depends always work.

• HerndonBoy

Staying dry overnight just days after catheter removal is a problem for me. I cut back fluid intake after 7:00pm. Also, I’m using Depends overnight with a pad. A change is needed in the wee hours of the morning. By daybreak, a second change is needed and the pajama bottoms might be soaked through. Any suggestions until it improves?

• Wheel

Although the catheter just came out and leakage can be expected that seems like quite a bit especially for the evening. Many report less leaking during the night time. Are you sleeping a certain way? If you are a side sleeper I would still hold off on that. Was their anything unique about your surgery that your Doctor expressed concern over the possibility of more than usual leaking? You might want to reach out to your Surgeon to let them know. Typically the response is leaking is expected but maybe this is more than typical and they should at least be informed and they might have some ideas to help you.

• Marlon

For me, after the first 10 days, I was able to stay dry at night, just getting up to pre 3-4 times. Now after 8 weeks, I still get up 2-3 times, but always dry. I understood that it's easier at night (on my back), because gravity is not putting pressure on the bladder opening. As soon as I stand up, I feel the pressure. I try and go no liquids after 7 pm as well.

• Josephg
    Josephg Member Posts: 434 Member

Did you try just the Night Depends alone? I tried the Depends plus pad in the early days, and I found that when the pad filled, the continuing urine flow did not go into the Depends, but rather right out of the gap that the full pad's presence created between the Night Depends and my legs.

• Wheel

if you sleep entirely through the night, for a short time maybe you want to set your alarm to wake you up in the middle of the night to change. This might be preferable to needing to change sheets in the morning.

• HerndonBoy

Well I tried something last night that seemed to work. It is Megamax diaper style with tabs from a company called NorthShore. It is marketed for heavy incontinence. There were no leaks during the night. Pajamas and bed sheets were dry in the morning. I sure hope this continues to work.

• lesjanes
    lesjanes Member Posts: 56 Member

Damn, thanks for asking this question. Because sometimes I am not sure how wet the pad is. I started with Depends Gaurds and now use only Depends Shields. I go through 3-4 a day. I change mostly for comfort but sometimes I wonder if I could have worn them longer. I never had to wear a full Depends and can make it an entire night without changing the Shields. (though last night I soaked myself after a night of over drinking. direct correlation between drinking and wetting)

• Wheel

lesjanes, i will need to remember that correlation over a night of over drinking and wetting. I just want confirmation whether this was a night of over drinking water or over drinking spirits. I am getting ready for my first wine.

• lesjanes
    lesjanes Member Posts: 56 Member

Several gin and tonics, and a few beers as well. So , I deserved what I got.

• Wheel

👍