Passing gas after surgery

Wheel
Wheel Member Posts: 99 Member

Still trying to pass gas. Usually it was not an issue before surgery in the morning on my side very easily. Can you lay on your side after surgery I heard you needed to stay on back. Just out of surgery day and half.

Comments

• Marlon
    Marlon Member Posts: 74 Member

I was told that I had to stay on my back so as not to put any pressure on the incisions (I had six). It would have hurt a lot just to move that way. But also, there was the constant need to keep the catheter clear.

It took me 24 hours to pass gas, and they wouldn't discharge me until that happened. It took another day and a half before a bowel movement, which had me worried and popping stool softeners.

• Wheel

Marlon,

I was discharged the same day. I had always heard that you could not be discharged from the hospital until you passed gas, but I guess with the Robotic Laparoscopic more Doctors release you the same day before you even get the chance to pass the gas. My Surgeon has just one incision.

• Marlon
    edited August 17 #4

Mine was robotic laparoscopic too, just with 6 small incisions. It's the general anesthetic that stops your digestive system, and thats what they want to make sure is working again. Nurse friends tell me that's standard practice for any surgery. It's interesting how different each person's experience is, and how the practices and procedures are different with different doctors.

• Max Former Hodgkins Stage 3
    Max Former Hodgkins Stage 3 Member Posts: 3,817 Member

Wheel,

RP via laproscopic requires that the abdomen be distended (stretched) with gas, to make visibility easier. This gas works its way out of the body only gradually. You may experience both fatulence and belching for some time.

• Wheel

Marlon, you are so right about the different approaches by the Doctors

• Wheel

Max,

With the moniker former Hodgkins Stage 3, sound like a double cancer survivor. I was in same boat Non-Hodgkins Stage 4, chemo in 2004 and Rituxan in 2008.

• Rob.Ski
    Rob.Ski Member Posts: 161 Member

I barely passed gas before leaving after RP. When they asked if I passed gas, they didn't ask how much. Next day I had severe gas pains. Probably worse than any other part of the surgery. When I did pass gas, all was good.

• Wheel

did finally pass some gas. Hurray for baby steps. Hopefully soon a bowel movement. This is third day after surgery with none. They told me only liquid diet until I have the movement. Counting the day before surgery and surgery day, going on five days of liquid diet. I am craving some real food. I’am sure my pants are not going as tight now.

Wheel

• Steve1961
    Steve1961 Member Posts: 599 Member
    edited August 19 #10

I guess all doctors are different. I had no diet restrictions whatsoever. I had a huge steak and baked potato the night after my surgery I ate normally I drank normally I pooped on day three which was thursday Monday.was surgery Surgery start eating. Don’t worry about it probably why you haven’t pooped there’s nothing to poop. Lol in fact, the night of my surgery, I had a tuna melt for cookies, ice cream, and chicken noodle soup.

• Marlon

Once I had passed gas, I had no diet restrictions either. But I also had no appetite for a week. Lost several pounds. Maybe psychological or maybe the anesthetic. All individuals are different too.

• Wheel

Marlon and Steve,

It is so interesting to hear how so many Doctors treat the diet differently. I knew I had nothing new in me the last five days, but it was the days before. They don’t clean you out like they do before the colonoscopy. I did learn the pain medication does not help you poop it worsens it.