Does endometrial thickness correlate with malignancy

Flanancy
Flanancy Member Posts: 17 Member

Hi. I put a comment in the wrong spot a couple of days ago when I was panicking and I still got a couple of kind answers. I had a TVUS a month ago and it found an over 20 mm endometrial stripe. Ovaries clear. Post menopausal at 67. In one week I am having a D and C and hysteroscopy. Petrified of the anesthesia and of the findings. I read something by the NIH about very thick endos at my age and increased risk of malignancy. Does anyone know if that’s true?

Comments

• NoTimeForCancer
    NoTimeForCancer Member Posts: 3,476 Member

Flanancy, so good to see you started a new thread to ask your questions. For many of us, things get hard to find or answer when new folks come and add to an ongoing chat. Certainly we all want hate when we miss someone and can't respond, so this is great.

It sounds like you are getting a D&C, and that is the best diagnosis detector for endometrial cancer, and only after that will you find out what you are dealing with. I would also be weary of Dr Google, even though the NIH has a lot of information, we are all individuals and a diagnosis of cancer can only be done after the testing finds anything, and even then, surgery, if needed, would be the way to fully determine how to treat what is there.

It is completely understandable to be scared, but try to take a breath and let's see what you are dealing with it. We are here to help, and we are all waiting with you. It is hard, but try to take a breath and let us know what your test results indicate.

Hugs dear.

• MoeKay
    MoeKay Member Posts: 488 Member
    edited August 8 #3

Hi Flanancy, I think the answer to your question of whether endometrial thickness correlates with malignancy is, "sometimes it does, and sometimes it doesn't." As NoTime explained above, the only way to know for sure is to biopsy the endometrial tissue, which you'll be doing soon (not as soon as you would like, I'm sure). I think waiting has to be the absolute worst when it involves waiting for testing or test results involving a potential cancer diagnosis.

Wishing you all the best.

• Flanancy

Thank you. My D and C is in 5 days and I will try to wait the process out.

• Flanancy

Thank you. Five days until the procedure and then another four to get the results. I did prep today and got some abnormal absolute lymphocyte and absolute basophil numbers. So more anxiety. I meet tomorrow with my gynecologist who is doing the procedure and hopefully he will give me more info. Thank you.