Does the Severity of My Cancer Affect the Worth of My Story?

pcsurvivor_6
pcsurvivor_6 Member Posts: 1 Member

I am a prostate cancer survivor. Although I didn't have symptoms, I caught it early and have been sharing my story to encourage others to get tested. Recently, I've been asked by hospitals and cancer support organizations to share my experience more frequently. However, someone close to me mentioned that my cancer wasn't severe enough to warrant sharing my story, especially when others are terminally ill.

Has anyone else experienced this? Am I out of place for sharing my story because my cancer wasn't as severe?

Comments

• Marlon
    Marlon Member Posts: 85 Member

Why would someone who is close to you tell you that? Of course your story is important. Anyone who has had, will have, might have or loves someone who has prostate cancer, has a story to tell. People who died from it, no longer can speak about it. Its how we support each other.

• Clevelandguy
    Clevelandguy Member Posts: 1,148 Member

Hi,

If you feel comfortable go ahead and share your story. Cancer is cancer whether it 3+3 or 5+5. Hopefully other people will benefit from your story like other survivors here share theirs.

Dave 3+4

• centralPA
    centralPA Member Posts: 321 Member

Most people have what you had, and get outcomes like yours when they do what you did. You should absolutely share your story.

Theres a famous saying in the military, to get a Medal of Honor somebody somewhere has to f*** up. Makes great story, but worth talking about what was needed to avoid heroics too. 🙂

• swl1956
    swl1956 Member Posts: 121 Member

Please! Share your story! Was your PSA over 4 when you were first checked for cancer? Currently it seems that 4 is the number that most urologists will suggest an MRI. I'm fairly certain it's driven by insurance companies might not pay until that number? My PSA had been slowly rising for several years and it wasn't until 4.3 that my GP suggested I see a urologist. Ignorance on my part at the time not knowing a slow rising PSA might indicate disease. If I had, I would have acted sooner. Earlier detection would at minimum likely given me more time to decide on treatment options and possibly nip it in the bud. Share your story!

• Josephg
    Josephg Member Posts: 443 Member

Cancer is Cancer is Cancer, plain and simple. Anyone who rates the 'worth' of a cancer story based upon the severity of the case has not personally experienced cancer or had a loved one experience cancer.

Cancer is a life-changing experience, and ANY life-changing experience has a story of value.

• lesjanes
    lesjanes Member Posts: 61 Member

Well, you could have waited to get treatment for several years and then when the cancer got worse you may have a more detailed story to tell about all the complications, pain, and side affects.

But instead you have a very good story to share that is an example of how well things can go when you are proactive at managing your health.

As others have said before, cancer is cancer. And if you didn't do anything, it would eventually get you.

• VascodaGama
    VascodaGama Member Posts: 3,700 Member

Surely we all want to read your story. Particularly those confronting a similar situation as that of yours at the initial steps, such as, what took you to see a doctor, which symptoms have you experienced, etc, etc.

I wonder who was that "someone close to you" that mentioned that your cancer case wasn't severe enough to warrant sharing your story. The truth is that now you are a survivor. You are one of us.

Best wishes

VG