How long should eligard shots continue

tom82
tom82 Member Posts: 3 *
edited July 30 in Prostate Cancer #1

Finished radiation 10/1/2023. Radiologist on April 2024 said I was cancer free and PSA was .014. Urologist las been continuing shots every 3 months since October. Received one today and found out he's scheduled me for 4 more. Is this necessary? Side effects awful.

Comments

• Clevelandguy
    Clevelandguy Member Posts: 1,148 Member
    edited July 29 #2

Hi,

As you probably know Eligard will reduce the amount of testosterone in your body. Sometimes they give it before radiation to weaken the cancer. If it was me I would not take it if the side effects are that awful but you need to discuss with your doctor. Usually given as extra insurance to reduce or shut down the growth of Prostate cancer cells. Good to hear your PSA post treatment is .014 which is very low for radiation type treatment since you still have live Prostate tissue in your body. Your PSA will probably increase after you go off the Eligard but should stabilize at some number in the future. Keeping your PSA stable over months & years is a very good indicator your cancer is in remission.

Dave 3+4

• tom82

Dave 3+4

Thanks so much. I appreciate your help on this.

• Old Salt
    Old Salt Member Posts: 1,467 Member
    edited July 29 #4

18 or 24 months ADT is common for a 'conventional' Gleason 3+4 case. Were there other negative findings?

• tom82

Not that I'm aware of. I was just hoping that I might be able to end the shots after a year. Thanks for the response>

• Josephg
    Josephg Member Posts: 443 Member

This is a question for your Medical professionals. Don't be hesitant to ask them why (what is the intended result for) you are continuing with ADT, and what could happen if you stopped now.

• Old Salt
    Old Salt Member Posts: 1,467 Member
    edited July 30 #7

After 'studying' my calendar, it looks like your urologist is going for 24 months of Eligard

As stated by Joseph, no harm in asking him if 18 months would be an acceptable risk.