New to this group

wim
wim Member Posts: 6 Member
edited July 23 in Prostate Cancer #1

I have been under observation for years and now after my 3rd biopsy, I have been given the choice of surgery or radiation. I chose surgery as if I have returned cancer I can turn to radiation.

There is no shame in saying that I am scared for the surgery, but more about after the surgery and how to deal with what needs to be done and how to recoup correctly.

Thank you for any thoughts.

Comments

• Wheel
    Wheel Member Posts: 110 Member

Wim,

I have surgery scheduled in three weeks and certainly scared also, although it has such a safety record.

Having gone under surveillance for years is great. It seems at some point treatment becomes inevitable. I was under watch and wait with non Hodgkin’s lymphoma until I finally needed chemotherapy . Having those extra quality of life years without starting treatment was great. Twenty years later back now with this.

It would be helpful to breakdown the details of your last MRI and the pathology results. This can yield more advice and information from members. The MRI can also provide information on density of the prostate and size. How old are you? I hope your next staging includes a PSMA Pet scan and Decipher genomic testing.

I think Surgery especially if younger does give you the Radiation in your back pocket, as although Salvage is possible, you at that point don’t know if your health condition and/or age might prohibit it. Be aware though depending on the PSMA Pet and possibly escaping the capsule and into nodes, after surgery its not uncommon with higher grade cancers they also want you to do Adjuvant Radiation and hormone treatment anyway after Surgery so then you are getting hit with both. Not knowing more information regarding your specific circumstances its a little hard to know which way to go. Certainly the 20 million dollar question is often do I do Radiation or do I do Surgery. I hope to be up and around in two weeks and traveling by four.

• centralPA
    centralPA Member Posts: 321 Member

@wim, sorry you were here. How long were you on active surveillance? What have they found on your previous biopsies? I’m curious on behalf of all the other folks still on active surveillance like myself.

• wim

thanks for the reply/question. I have been under active surveillance for about 8 years. My PET scan, as well as the other scans now show more invasive but as of last night I was told it has Not spread beyond the prostate. That makes me happy. Surgery is scheduled for July 30th

• wim

Wheel, thank for your post with information and mostly thanks for the support. Next week on the 30th, the prostate will be removed. And then we go on with life.

• Marlon
    Marlon Member Posts: 85 Member

I too had the choice, and went with surgery for the same reason. It was one month ago. I must admit I wasn't prepared for the several days of pain (at the waist from incisions) that kept me from being comfortable in any position. My suggestion is to prep your home for how you will get around and sleep. With the catheter, I had to be very careful with how I made any move, and especially how I slept. I used a walker to hang the catheter bag and move from room to room. It's uncomfortable to say the least. Some guys say they are back to work in a few days, but I would say dont push it. I am dealing with incontinence which has gotten better but progress is slower than I want. Be prepared with the diapers and pads. You kind of have to think through before any movement or activity to know you might have a leak. Take care of your skin.

Yes, it's been a challenge, but surgery was the right choice for me.

• wim

Marlon, thank you. The sleeping position is my concern as well with the catheter in place, so adjustments will be in order, I’m sure. The Kegel exercises are the importantly ones to do and for me the most difficult with my breathing issues. I’ll get it done though. Thanks again Marlon

• Marlon
    Marlon Member Posts: 85 Member

wim, some friends suggested sleeping in a recliner. But for me, I couldn't get in or out of a recliner without difficulty. I settled on sleeping in bed, with multiple pillows under my knees and elevating head & shoulders. Catheter bag hanging on walker right next to the bed. Adjusting the tube location and having awareness of it so I wouldn't step on it, was a primary concern.

• wim

Marlon, I have slept in a a recliner after other issues and was actually thinking about that as well. I actually sleep well in a recliner. Thanks again Marlon. Leaving now for my pre-op. 🥺

• Old Salt
    Old Salt Member Posts: 1,467 Member

Hope all goes well with the surgery!

• Clevelandguy
    Clevelandguy Member Posts: 1,148 Member

Hi,

I had very little pain after my surgery but I did have more bloating in my abdomen which dissipated after a day or two. Incisions healed very well, I kept them dry when I showered. I slept on a sofa when my catheter was in. It kept me closer to the floor which resulted in less pulling on the tube. Good luck with the surgery, hopefully you will have minimal post surgical problems and ever improving leakage and ED.

Dave 3+4